55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfie_1986

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question !
How many hours of run time is the 55 Rancher good for ? I know my old Poulan 2050 (lol I should be ashamed of myself for owning that saw) was rated at lasting up to 50 hours. I believe it blew up after 100 hours use (air leak caused lean condition)!

By the way im cutting saw logs with the Rancher ! Thats what I was cutting with the Poulan too lol poor saw could rip too until it lost compression !

Thanks

I've had one that I have had since the early 90's. It runs fine and still holds 150lbs compression. Just keep the air filter clean and run good oil in the gas.
I have seen many pro's use these, even though they are a "homeowner" saw. They are a very durable saw. It was on of Huskys best selling smaller saws, up until it was discontinued.

-Steve

ive had one for 2 years and have used it weekly for most of that time and its a good saw,allways starts and runs good,probley have 150 + hours on it and still runs like new.

That 50 hours rating on the Poulan is a rating of how long the emissions are warrantied to meet EPA specs, not a rated engine lifespan.

Most Pro saws are designed for 1000 hours or more before a rebuild, about 600 hours for a heavier duty non-pro saw, and about 250 hours for a lighter duty non-pro saw.

Newfie
Normally I tend to use the other popular brand. However after using the Search function on the site I discovered how well people liked the 55 Rancher saw. I bought one used at a pawn shop. The clutch spring was gone. but it ran.I pulled the muffler off and saw a large scratch. Well to cut to the chase,after cleaning the cylinder,and a new ring, and replacing the clutch spring, and a new starter rope I have a perfectly good saw the runs like a raped ape.Even with a 3/8 chain and 18 inch bar it has served me well.

Thats what I thought the rating was for "EPA regs" but have read online before that some believed that to be a rating for how long the saw would last so thanks for clearing that up.

As far as the saw goes well it runs great as of now but its still quite new ! It handles the 18 inch bar with 3/8 chain great. Im going to mod the muffler on it to see if I can get some more go out of it !

Depending on how this one holds up I will be getting another one in a couple of months. They still sell them here in Canada for the next little while, My dealer told me there going to be having a sale on the 55 Ranchers to sell them all off so I will probably get one cheap..

Thanks

Latest posts

Back