550XP - Is this a warranty thing??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barton174

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I've got this 2015-33 550XP that I got from @spike60 (new) a couple months ago (August). When it's 85+ degrees F, it basically won't hot or warm restart. I can get it to fire, and it'll idle, but it takes lots of starts and lots of fiddling with the throttle to get it to rev. After it gets revved up and I get it in some wood, it'll clean up and act right. Using the purge bulb doesn't seem to help. Once it's acting right, it revs fine, etc.. Below 80F, there really aren't any problems with warm/hot restarts.

Also, I have problems being able to hit the throttle on like "first start of the day" kind of starts. It idles, but I can't get it to rev at all, and it'll die 5-6x, when I hit the throttle (even if I ease into it). Finally, it'll rev and run fine. Again, purge bulb doesn't seem to do much. It also very likely may have to do with the high side semi-vapor-locking the fuel out of it, from it being hot the last time I shut it down.

I've only run the Husky 50:1 XP Fuel pre-mix through it, so far, for warranty reasons. I've used about 2.5 quarts.

Is this a warranty deal, or is this just kind of "how they are?" I know there were some updates (2 rounds of them, looks like) since the date of this saws's mfg, and I knew about the updates at the time, but I guess I sort of under-estimated the amount of time that saws are both on the ocean, and sit in the factory, and figured I'd be getting one with all the updates.

Mike

Have you read the user manual? Some AT saws have hot start procedures you have to follow closely... on start up I have had ones that need to high idle and do its thing for 45 seconds before it would say "hello world".

Have you read the user manual? Some AT saws have hot start procedures you have to follow closely... on start up I have had ones that need to high idle and do its thing for 45 seconds before it would say "hello world".

I have, and it does not say that (at least that I've found). I've tried letting it sit and idle for 20-25 seconds, and still does the same thing. Just no fuel on the high side for a bit.
http://www.husqvarna.com/ddocdownload/HUSO/HUSO2014_EUenAPen/HUSO2014_EUenAPen__1156736-26.pdf

Mike

Yeah, I'm talking with him. He said the 90F+ hot start thing is kind of normal for the older lids without the hole in them, but it doesn't all sound normal. I talked to my local guy and an up-level Husqvarna support guy, who gave me a ref# to take into my local guy, and he said they'll get me taken care of. Running the XP Fuel (or any premix) in it is definitely helping me, sounds like! We'll see how it shakes out. My only real concern at this point is that it's late enough in the year that even though I say it happens when it's hot out, my local guy will take it out on a 45 degree morning next week and say "it's fine." Yes, it is fine, unless it's hot out, or unless it's a cold start the time after I ran it when it was hot out. Like I say, we'll see how it shakes out.

Mike

you got me to thinking. yep, i bet the husky at is running a linux kernel.

Yep - when it won't start hot, I'm sure it must me be Gimp-linux!
badda boom ;-)
yep, it's ok on the desk top but not at 9000ft. just upgraded to fedora 23. started way back in the last century with suse 5.5. came on 6 cd's. gore hadn't invented the internet yet.

Back