550xp or 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Betts04

Betts04

ArboristSite Lurker
I am looking at these to saws, but would prefer to use 18" 3/8 set up. aslo the saws will stay stock, at least until the waranty is up.
Juat want a smaller saw to carry on the atv and for smaller jobs, as the 038 gets heavy fast, and it really isnt needed for half the stuff I cut.
I havent run either saw myself and both are priced the same at local dealers ($650). with all the info here they seem like they are fairly evenly matched, but what about with the 18 3/8 set up? It seems to be popular opinion that the 3/8 stays sharp longer, and I dont want to have differnt size files around to mix up.

thanks

Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Trolltide
I am looking at these to saws, but would prefer to use 18" 3/8 set up. aslo the saws will stay stock, at least until the waranty is up.
Juat want a smaller saw to carry on the atv and for smaller jobs, as the 038 gets heavy fast, and it really isnt needed for half the stuff I cut.
I havent run either saw myself and both are priced the same at local dealers ($650). with all the info here they seem like they are fairly evenly matched, but what about with the 18 3/8 set up? It seems to be popular opinion that the 3/8 stays sharp longer, and I dont want to have differnt size files around to mix up.

thanks
I love my 261 but wow that's a steep price on those saws.

Betts04

Betts04

ArboristSite Lurker
Either one will serve you equally as well. With only a MM, the 550 would probably have the edge. Ported, I'd give that to the 261.

not sure I could justify the cost of having it ported. Also I dont know of anyone around here that does it, and the cost of shipping would be way to much.

H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
not sure I could justify the cost of having it ported. Also I dont know of anyone around here that does it, and the cost of shipping would be way to much.

Shipping is way out of line; I'm lucking living so close to the boarder that I can just drive across the boarder to ship things other wise it would be a factor getting things from Canada

Hinerman

Hinerman

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
One thing to consider is the quality and reputation of the dealership; go with a good dealer regardless of brand. It is no secret that both saws are well liked and proven performers. Another thing to consider: Do you want to be able to tune your saw? Then 261. Do you want the convenience of the saw tuning itself? Then 550. Happy purchasing and saw on...

ptjeep

ptjeep

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you use the search function you can find lots of info on this topic, many of these threads end up in arguments. Its basically comes down to what feels best in your hands.

jus2fat

jus2fat

Two Harley Fatboys
When the MS 261 M-tronic arrives...it's gonna be a whole different situation..??

Husky delivered too soon and paid the price with their "AT" system...Stihl still working on it.

Stihl is $$ rich..and smart.. - They won't deliver until they're satisfied that it's a winner...(few customer complaints)

Now when is really the question and i don't know...but I hear..'it's gonna be sooner rather than later'..??

:cheers:
J2F

jus2fat

jus2fat

Two Harley Fatboys
So you have used a 550 ?

Or seen pictures of them ?
H2H..lay off SawTroll...!!

Just let the 261 M-Tronic arrive and prove itself..few problems - Nobody can say Stihl is stupid..!!

They're cash rich and know not to make dumb mistakes..when introduced sales will fly...

The husky 550 will just be a "Husky-Head" saw IMHO...compared to the MS 261 M-tronic...(twt)
:cheers:
J2F