550XP Pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I haven't been around the forum for quite a while. How's everyone been doing? My life has been upside down, right side up and swerving side to side for the last 18 months. It's downright sucked. Anyway....

My old OE 346xp is starting to lay down on me, so out of curiosity I looked up the cost of the new version... the 550xp. I just about choked on my phone when I was told over $600. I only paid $498 for my 372XPW a few years ago. I also noticed that they're all autotune now. Is that working out well? How well do they take to a work port? When the old 346 quit, I picked up a buddy's muffler modded MS290 to finish up and quickly wished my saw was running right.

Ian

Ian, the 550 is a fantastic saw. There have been very few issues with them. If you want to split hairs, the 346 was a little faster after mods, but the 550 is real close. You would like it. Others have done a lot more 550s than me, but here's the last one I did.

I used it (with an abundance of cool down breaks) with a 28" bar, skip chain and an 8 pin rim to mill some cedar and walnut this weekend. It did well, although the 066 I sold to a co-worker a couple years ago would have been a better choice. I regret that sale.

Ian

Why not fix the 346? My OE has a ton of hours and a self done hack job of porting. It's a little beast that wont die! :)

That's the plan, but this little machine is one I already burned up once playing with the carb before I was smart enough to know better. Replaced a ring, acid cleaned the jug, muffler modded it, and it's been running like a top since. This latest thing just started yesterday and got me wondering about replacement cost.

Ian

Edit.. That 550 sounds great Brad... I love the sound of a ported saw. :clap:

Good to see ya round again I hadn't seen the old crazy clown avatar in a long time. I think the past couple years been rough on most of us. Haven't run a 550 yet but the visa ive seen of some of the ported 550 on here they look like runners.

There's sure nothing wrong with wanting a 550xp. I'll likely get one at some point.
Yes we need you on the 550 wagon. Then put a Sugi on it
vubame9u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been around the forum for quite a while. How's everyone been doing? My life has been upside down, right side up and swerving side to side for the last 18 months. It's downright sucked. Anyway....

My old OE 346xp is starting to lay down on me, so out of curiosity I looked up the cost of the new version... the 550xp. I just about choked on my phone when I was told over $600. I only paid $498 for my 372XPW a few years ago. I also noticed that they're all autotune now. Is that working out well? How well do they take to a work port? When the old 346 quit, I picked up a buddy's muffler modded MS290 to finish up and quickly wished my saw was running right.

Ian
As for the price, full retail is $579 I believe, but they can be bought for less.

That's the plan, but this little machine is one I already burned up once playing with the carb before I was smart enough to know better. Replaced a ring, acid cleaned the jug, muffler modded it, and it's been running like a top since. This latest thing just started yesterday and got me wondering about replacement cost.

Ian

Edit.. That 550 sounds great Brad... I love the sound of a ported saw. :clap:

site sponsor weedeaterman.com has affordable complete top end kits for those 346XPs..

Thanks Mesupra, but it looks like I may not need one after all. I was playing around with it today, figured I'd compression test it for starters and then go from there. 175lbs. Good stuff. I started it up and immediately the chain started running. When I clicked the brake, it stalled. I started it back up and soaked the boot with WD40. No change in idle. It then occurred to me that it didn't sound like it was idling fast, I just took it for granted since the chain was running. I shut it off, pulled the side cover and found a broken clutch spring. I'll replace them both and see if that is the only problem. It seemed like it stalled as soon as I touched wood with it, but a broken spring wouldn't have caused that. We'll see when I get the new springs in. I'm going to replace the plastic clamp on the intake boot while I'm at it with the newer version since Brad suggested it.

A clutch spring is the only thing to ever brake on my old 346xp. It acted just like yours. I actually made a spring and ran it for a year before I replaced them both. I also replace the plastic clamp after 10 years of hard use... Hell of a saw!

I got the springs on order, but the fellow on the phone couldn't tell me if the boot clamp he was ordering was a plastic clamp or a new one, so I passed. Does anyone have the new part number handy so I can be sure to get the right one?

thanks

P.S. BTW, It's good to see Sawtroll is still around smelling up the place. ;)

The 550xp has been a great saw for me. Never a problem, not even a quiver. Wonderful power to weight ratio when you have it ported!

Latest posts

Back