550XP RevBoost or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Husqvarna catalog and it says Revboost NA in the specs for the 550. I think I have read on here that it DOES have Revboost. Anyone know the facts? Also, I am kind of a techy, how does it work? Thanks, DW

According to the web-site and every other sourse the 550xp has the Revboost, so obviously there is yet another misprint/mistake in that catalog.

It is in the coil and/or AT software (not really sure where), and makes the engine accellerate faster and higher for a couple of seconds at the beginning of the cut.

Last edited:
It is in the coil and/or AT software (not really sure where), and makes the engine accellerate faser and higher for a couple of seconds at the beginning of the cut.
That's what I understand as well. I also thought I read somewhere that RevBoost only works by revving the saw before starting the cut. I find it odd that there's absolutely no mention of it in the owners manual for either the 550 or 562, nor can I find anything about it on Husqvarna's site.

That's what I understand as well. I also thought I read somewhere that RevBoost only works by revving the saw before starting the cut. I find it odd that there's absolutely no mention of it in the owners manual for either the 550 or 562, nor can I find anything about it on Husqvarna's site.

No reason to mention it in the manual, as it isn't something the operater need to activate or maintain - it just is there.
What it does is loosely mentioned on all the web-sites I have looked at, but not what makes it happen.

Your "misprints and mistakes" are damned lies to the Stihlheads, and very much vice versa as well.

There was a thread here about that messed up catalog.

Now, there is nothing new with misprints and mistakes in catalogs, but that one apparently is worse than ever....:msp_sneaky:

There's so much mis-information about revboost that I'm tired of repeating the correct explanation. :bang:

I think I might just as well add to the mass of silly assumptions and imagined theories.

REVBOOST......................

.....is a variable diameter rim sprocket that expands and contracts to multiply chain speed for limbing. It is controlled by the AT processor and a small camera and two lasers mounted in the chain brake handle. The saw actually measures the diameter of each limb and expands the rim sprocket for optimum chain speed.

....a device on old 33rpm record players invented by Dave Seville. This was how they made all of the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" cartoons. Normal voices were "revboosted" to get the high pitched Chipmunk voices.

....the button on your blender that you push when making frozen drinks.

....is how Scotty was always able to get the Enterprise out of trouble just in the nick of time.

.....:msp_smile:

Last edited:
There's so much mis-information about revboost that I'm tired of repeating the correct explanation. :bang:

I think I might just as well add to the mass of silly assumptions and imagined theories.

.....is a variable diameter rim sprocket that expands and contracts to multiply chain speed for limbing. It is controlled by the AT processor and a small camera and two lasers mounted in the chain brake handle. The saw actually measures the diameter of each limb and expands the rim sprocket for optimum chain speed.

....a device on old 33rpm record players invented by Dave Seville. This was how they made all of the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" cartoons. Normal voices were "revboosted" to get the high pitched Chipmunk voices.

....is how Scotty was always able to get the Enterprise out of trouble just in the nick of time.

OH.... OK, thanks. I said techy not treky! I need to look around a little bit and figure this out.

If they can't even manage to accurately print there catalog? what does that say about how they manage the quality of their saws :waaaht::poke::poke::poke: :hmm3grin2orange:
:popcorn:

A camera and lasers on a chainsaw.... You must be taking the piss...:givebeer:

No reason to mention it in the manual, as it isn't something the operater need to activate or maintain - it just is there.
I disagree... it's a feature of my saw and I'd like to know how it works. There has to be something I have to do to make sure it's is being used correctly. For example, do I really need to rev the saw prior to cutting to enable RevBoost?

They're using it as a selling point so they should really describe/explain it in the manual IMHO.

I can not find it or hear it or even measure it with a tach on my 550?

If they can't even manage to accurately print there catalog? what does that say about how they manage the quality of their saws :waaaht::poke::poke::poke: :hmm3grin2orange:
:popcorn:

Why would you expect them to get the specs right when they went and put the 560XP on the cover? :msp_smile: (It's not coming BTW)

Just like I thought, WITCHCRAFT!!!:msp_sneaky:

Latest posts

Back