550xp vs 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Would like to get opinions from anyone who would care to give one, I am faced with a dilemma here, I really want an AutoTune, but now as I expected, I can get a good deal on the 346xp vs retail on the 550xp - so my dealer has a whopping $110 price difference between the two. So is AutoTune or other features of the 550xp worth this much? The dealer also said he thinks the 346xp is a better saw, anybody with experience with both confirm or deny this?

Having run neither saw, well this is the internet and everyone has an opinion :msp_biggrin:

Philosophically I like to keep the tools I use in the woods as simple as possible, the less that can go wrong, the less that will go wrong. I've never had a problem tuning a carb, so autotune is something I have no interest in.

Ok, let's say that the 550 is 10% more fuel efficient than a 346. At $4/gallon for gas, that $110 will buy you 27.5 gallons of gas. You'll have to burn 275 gallons of gas through the 550 before the fuel savings kick in. If you are a professional cutter, you might be able to realize those savings. If you're just cutting firewood for your house, trimming the occasional tree and what not, I doubt you'll ever run 275 gallons through a saw in your lifetime.

The 346xp is proven and has been around since 1999.

I've been running one since 2001 and it is still my favorite saw.

That said, the reports are very good on the 550xp. A bit more power and torque,
bit less fuel use, auto tune.

Me, I'd get the 346xp. :msp_biggrin:

Save a $110 and get the 346xp then put the $110 towards getting it ported and you'll be happier than a 3 peckered goat.

go for the 346, their time tested and proven. the 550 hasnt been around as long and neither has autotune, for all we know terrorists could have a timer on the autotune feature to blow up after so many hours of use.

im serious! :msp_biggrin:

I've run both

and have put a lot of time on my 346XP for quite a few years. Yeah the 550XP is nice but it's not $110 nicer than the 346XP. As far as dependability and longevity, the 346XP is proven, Husky is still using their customers as Beta Testers on the 550XP. To be honest in my limited running on the 550XP I really can't say that it actually has noticeably more power or faster spool up than the 346XP. Didn't get to do any tight quarters work with the 550XP but I'm sure it's fine as the 346XP excels in that situation.

One other benefit with the 346XP, it has been around so long there are lots of organ donor saws available if you need a handle, cover, etc.

Grab the 346XP while you still can and at an attractive price. Use the saved $ for extra chains, bars, mix and B&C oil.

Take Care

I own both....and love both. In all honesty, I'd probably go 346.....nothing again the 550 though. Its just a new model with new electronic stuff.

In 30 years am I gonna be able to get a ''black box'' for the 550? 346s are simple and will be easy and cheep to work on in the future......just thinking ahead a little.:msp_biggrin:

I like me some 550XP !!!

[video=youtube;FLgIYFlW3YY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLgIYFlW3YY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
[/video]

I own both....and love both. In all honesty, I'd probably go 346.....nothing again the 550 though. Its just a new model with new electronic stuff.

In 30 years am I gonna be able to get a ''black box'' for the 550? 346s are simple and will be easy and cheep to work on in the future......just thinking ahead a little.:msp_biggrin:

I"m going to give the nod to the 550 . Mind You , My 346 is an OE and My opinion May change once it's met Mr. Landrum . But, for now , the 550 is the better saw to Me .
Also , in My case , In 30 years I somehow believe that I won't be here to worry about either saw :)

I really like the 550 better, just not sure about the ''long haul''.

If this ole world makes it another 30 years, I suppose Ill still be around cutting a little wood to stay warm through the winter.....:D

You can't go wrong between those saws anyway, so buy the one that feels best in your hands.

Here ya go. Get Stihl 261 Pro saw. ;) The anti-typical troll response. :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously. They are both nice saws. I just looked at the 550 XP yesterday. Feels and looks very nice. I doubt Husqvarna would change that much from the excellent 346 XP.

as others have mentioned, either choice is fine

For pine thinning i prefer my 550, firewood duty, my ported 346.

my 550 stock uses about half the fuel of my ported 346 in small pine and handles better, that may or may not be an issue to some

Choose the one that feels best. Don't worry once CAD sets in you'll end up with both anyhow.

I am afraid I already have CAD quite bad, Easter day this year was the day I caught it, when my 2 old saws both experienced issues and I started frequenting this site. A new MS 362 and complete tear apart and rebuild of my old saws has only made the condition worse:laugh:

There should only be a $50 difference in the cost of the 346 and the 550. Both can be bought for less than $500. Find another dealer. With what we know currently, pick the 346 if you want max power out of a modded saw. Pick the 550 if you want the max power out of just a muffler modded saw. The 550 you can fuel and forget. It depends on what's most important to you.

Latest posts

Back