555AT/562xp build... Questions for the experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat_and_happy_farm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I picked up a 555 that was straight gassed on it's first tank for next to nothing. I decided this would be my first go at building a saw, porting it and all that fun stuff.
Here's where I'm at: I have a shiny new 562xp top end, I made a 0.010 base gasket, giving me 0.021" squish. I hogged out the muffler inlet and outlet. She flows pretty free now.
I set up a degree wheel and will be mapping the cylinder after supper.

I would like to port it as a work saw, as it will most likely spend most of it's life tending to the band sawmill and doing some clearing around the farm. I have a couple 372s that do most of the woods work. It's more about the project than anything to me, but I would like to get some reliable gains.

I have a Foredom, a bunch of handpieces and tooling for it, a pretty reasonable grasp on 2 strokes and good mechanical abilities, along with a machinist background and a shiny new jug. Can anyone give me some parameters to shoot for as far as raising and widening ports specific to this saw? I know a general rule is 65% of Piston diameter for exhaust port width, but with the wacky back end of the cylinder, I am not sure what to do with the intake.
Any advice would be much appreciated. I'd hate to muck up a $200 top end.

Thanks,

Rory

Well, I went ahead and did my own thing. Very happy with the results. Fired on the 3rd pull. It is really waking up as I burn through the first tank. I'll attack the firewood pile tomorrow and get it nice and broke in.
I scribed the base gasket around the transfers, reshaped them to the outline that I scribed onto them, smoothed out the transfer tunnels and opened them up a little. I widened the transfer cylinder ports by .050 and raised the bottom window to the cylinder base. I didn't monkey with the exhaust or intake ports.
So far, I think it will easily run with my buddy's 562xp. It's pretty loud... Glad I didn't completely gut the muffler!

Is the jug setting 100% on the case? I know you didn't completely remove it but on mine the jug would hit the case once I removed the gasket... it would be easy not to see...

Yes, the cylinder is sitting firmly on the cases. I could rock it back and forth with no gasket just a little bit, but with the .010 gasket, it sits flat. It isn't running like it is sucking air and the plug is a perfect golden brown.

They idle funny when they suck through the base gasket. The auto tune will correct it at full throttle.

It idles nice and smooth. I had read that this was a potential issue, so I made sure it was making a good seal. Looking forward to burning some gas this afternoon.

Went through a couple tank this afternoon. Really loving this little saw! Cut up a bunch of firewood then headed out to a pasture I am clearing and cut a dozen 16-20" Maple, including one really sketchy cluster of 5 that was pretty nerve-wracking. Sure beats the 372s for limbing. Much more nimble, and really makes good use of the 18" bar. Not bad for only having about $300 into it!

I didn't think to take any in process pictures. I get one track minded when I'm working on things. Here's the finished product.IMG_20170901_061920695.jpg IMG_20170901_061938198.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170901_062017657.jpg
    IMG_20170901_062017657.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170901_062124674.jpg
    IMG_20170901_062124674.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20170901_062621220.jpg
    IMG_20170901_062621220.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back