55psi with new piston???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should go ahead and do a leakdown test on this saw while you have it at this point, then if you have no air leaks, go through the fuel system
completely, look in the exhaust and intake ports again to check for any new damage, then put the saw back together and try to get it running with a new plug, just put the compression gauge back in the drawer for a while.

You want to find what burnt the saw up the first time.

Get her back together, and we'll go from there.

I turned in the carb screws against the limiters. I DO get fuel dripping out when I turn the saw upside down. I'll let it vent and try it later I guess.

I'm new to 2 strokes, spent my whole career working on cars. This is an entirely different animal. I appreciate everyone schooling me.

Is the fuel coming from the cylinder or is it just coming from the saw body itself when you turn the saw upside down? Look at the flat area under the carb to see if there is fuel in this area, if there is you have a bad fuel line from the tank or a bad impulse fuel line. Did you check the fuel line between the tank & the body of the saw (just to the right side of the rear handle you will see where it leaves the tank & enters the body)? You didn't use compressed air on the carburetor did you? You can take the carb apart if you feel confident in doing this (should be shown in the manual link I sent you), at least you'll know if your diaphram is torn or stiff as a paper plate (either condition not good). You may want to check the intake boot where it attaches to the cylinder to make sure the impulse hole os seating right & there is no air getting around the boot.

is this saw getting spark? or did i miss that suggestion in teh post....if so, try a new spark plug, and hold teh carb wide open & spray some mix in teh carb,,, it should fire for a second or two...

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Those that said the saw was flooded were absolutely correct. I let it sit overnight and it fired on the first pull today. I need to tweek it when I get it warmed up. The saw ran pretty well with the screws all the way lean, but I'm sure it could use a little enrichening. I'll dial it in, cut with it today to get my performance baseline. Then I'm diving into the porting. This is a good saw to practice on since I only have $50 in it. Thanks again guys... excellent advise.

Fish said it and you should heed his words. Look over the saw real good and find why it scored the cylinder. Youll end up doing it too if you dont fix the problem. Snelling also said the saw is probably set lean and you may want to richen it up some. Have you taken the carb apart? You may want to rebuild it so you know its OK. :cheers:

I enriched the screws once I got it started. After it was up to temp, I shut the saw down mid cut and pulled the plug. It was a nice salmon color, seems to be running just right. The saw runs beautifully and cuts well for a smaller saw. I have to pull the carb apart without having a new kit on hand.

If it was me at home, I would have held the saw WOT, no choke and started the SOB up
:cheers:
Mike

Me too. But sometimes it takes a lot of pulls...so many, in fact, that most people (including me) just about give up before it fires.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back