562xp muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcatbb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've researched it but can't seem to get any definitive power numbers...I'm getting a 562xp and was just curious how much gains you actually get with a muffler mod? I've seen 10-20%. How accurate are these claims? I have yet to use the saw and I'm sure I'll be tickled with it for my firewood useage but maybe once she's good and broke in!!! I'm a gear head, always looking for a little more . I guess it's a sickness.

I've also seen where a guy put up a video on you tube claiming no gain.

It helps a lot with throttle response. Gives the saw a nice tone. I'd say 10% is very accurate.

Got it fired up and into some logs it went...runs pretty strong but feels tight yet, like something's holding it back, and it is toooo quiet! Hopefully it loosens up after 10 tanks of fuel or so! I think I'm going to like the auto tune! Mine has the EL 48 carb on it. Ran it for about 15 minutes without even a hiccup, shut it down, and fired right back up! Good sign. I hear of differnt hot start issues. This thing is sooo smooth it's kinda weird. I was expecting a lot more rowdy saw. Not rowdy at all, and quiet. Very refined. Glad I bought it! I think a muffler mod, and some more time on it and she will come to life! Not that it runs bad now at all, but I hear they get better after a few tanks through them, as with any engine!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 62
That is my next saw. Had my eye on them for a while. Looks like the perfect saw for most the timber where I am at. I'm jealous.

The saw respond very well to muffler mods.
This is my first 562, with a thinner gasket base and a muffler mod. And trust me, this is really hard wood:

Just to be sure, what kind of MM are you doing? On this saw, just opening the muffler under the spark screen will make no difference, not at all. You need enlarge the baffle's hole from the other side of the muffler.

I've seen a couple that had gutted mufflers and you probably couldn't tell the difference between them and ported.

I've seen a couple that had gutted mufflers and you probably couldn't tell the difference between them and ported.

I owned both, one muff modded and a ported one from T. Landrum. The first one was really strong, but the one ported by Terry is way stronger.

What's surprising with these saws, is how many tanks they need to break in. The one I bought from Terry look stronger each time I run it. The saw was at 170 psi cold, now it's 190, but I pass A LOT of gas though the saw.

I have muffler modded two 550xps and one 562xp and it definatly has quicker throttle response and possibly 5-10% power gain I would say. The best part is they sound way better.

I would disagree totally
I've got a ported 550xp and it would outcut a stock 562xp in 16" and under

That's good to know, my 1st ported 346 died last week, and I have just one remaining now. Maybe I'll give the ported 550 a try if it is that strong (but I always hear the 346/2153 are stronger when ported).

That's good to know, my 1st ported 346 died last week, and I have just one remaining now. Maybe I'll give the ported 550 a try if it is that strong (but I always hear the 346/2153 are stronger when ported).
I have not tried a ported 346 but man I swear by my ported 550 it's really a good thing! Do try one and you will love it

I'm an old motorcycle man, 2 stroke, from the '70's and early '80's.
EPA is the motive force behind 50:1 mix.
32:1 gives best power. It seals the rings better, (less blowby) I don't know if these auto adjust carbs can run it. But, if you can get rid of exhaust faster, run more oil, open the intake, (bigger carb) free flowing air filter, (big box, big holes, ez flow filter, you can get more power.
Another thing is the ash temp of your oil. Low ash temp 2 stroke oil goes in marine applications. Hi ash temp goes in chainsaws.
Effective mods would seem to include a mechanism to keep it cool, and lubed.
I'm WAY out of date, but there are some basic things. I've been looking at Husky 562, and stihl's new one, the 462, I think it is.
Anyway, the company's cannot tell you to go extra oil, but mods and oil, and keeping her cool all play a part. Maybe even an aluminum sheet, to keep muffler heat back from the cylinder fins. When motorcycles went liquid cooled, they bumped up the power by some huge amounts. 30%, or 40%, maybe.
Whoever figures out how to do a liquid cooled saw, without a lot of weight, will make a mean machine!
Nate

I have both ported by Eric, the 2153 is faster/stronger but the 2253 isn’t a slouch by any means! The 2153 is just that good!

DIY, though I did pick up a cheap used non-cat version for one of my saws that came with a cat. Easier than cutting out the cat.

Back