562xp or something else

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would put my Stumpbroke 562xp next to 70cc saw in a heartbeat i love that thing smooth and powerful it's my favorite saw out of any of ran so far.

I agree but once you get bigger than a 24" a 372 pulls ahead. I guess what im saying is i can cover a bigger gap with a 372.

How is the weight of the 6400 "optimistic" when it weighs no more than the 7900, which weight is well documented. The OP asked for good bucking saws, so the slightly extra nimbleness of the 562 isn't a factor in that specific case. The 6400 is one of the best saws in its class for bucking, try one sometime. Husqvarna is not the only decent chainsaw out there.

Well, read what Dolmar dealer 166 said in his thread about the 7910 vs. the 7900.....

I agree but once you get bigger than a 24" a 372 pulls ahead. I guess what im saying is i can cover a bigger gap with a 372.

OR, you could buy a 562xp, 372xp AND a 7900, see which one you like the best (or which 2-3) then sell whatever doesn't suit you. OR, go to a GTG and run them all, see what you like and save a few $$$. CAD is horribly expensive, but if nothing else, it can definitely help you appreciate the beauty of having a great tool that is singularly suited to the task at hand. I do want to run Sunfish's 562xp. I very much like the 7900 saws, and want to run a ported one, but I use my 372 for just about everything larger than 14" thick. Maybe because I used to use my 660 for the same tasks, before I turned it into an art-deco flambe' sculpture.

Well, read what Dolmar dealer 166 said in his thread about the 7910 vs. the 7900.....

Lets compare apples to apples. He says that the non-CAT 7900/7910 weighs less (though he doesn't say by how much) than a CAT equipped 6400. Not all 6400's have the CAT mufflers and neither does the 6401, as that would be the newer 6421. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure I have read on numerous posts how CAT equipped mufflers do weigh more.

I know you're a stickler for saws that weighs a few ounces more, but it still doesn't make a saw any worse, unless one is not able to manage those few ounces.

Then he doesn't deserve your business, simple as that.[/

That's why Dolmar was not a consideration. If he wasn't interested in making a sale, I can only assume his service would be comparable.

Lets compare apples to apples. He says that the non-CAT 7900/7910 weighs less (though he doesn't say by how much) than a CAT equipped 6400. Not all 6400's have the CAT mufflers and neither does the 6401, as that would be the newer 6421. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure I have read on numerous posts how CAT equipped mufflers do weigh more.

I know you're a stickler for saws that weighs a few ounces more, but it still doesn't make a saw any worse, unless one is not able to manage those few ounces.

Cat mufflers usually are less than .2 lbs heavier than ordinary ones, so that hardly is a major point!

Anyway, the weight differense between the 562xp and the 6400 is huge, and they simply aren't comparable saws.

The 6400 is just a cheaper open port alternative to 70cc+ saws, and less cc - and the 562xp is a state of the art 60cc saw, that handles a lot better!

Last edited:
Cat mufflers usually are less than .2 lbs heavier than ordinary ones, so that hardly is a major point!

Anyway, the weight differense between the 562xp and the 6400 is huge, and they simply aren't comparable saws.

The 6400 is just a cheaper open port alternative to 70cc+ saws, and less cc - and the 562xp is a state of the art 60cc saw, that handles a lot better!

And for the record I have seen you complain about saws being heavier by this whole 0.2 lbs difference. Nice that you agree that the 6400 is an alternative to 70cc saws.

I knew it was only a matter of time before you came around. :msp_wink:

Cuttin' on the pile

Yeah I do that a lot. Probably about 40 something cord a year. My 2 cents. none of the above. You have a MS 460, save some money, get a 9 tooth sprocket with an 18 inch bar and chain. (Not sure if there's room for a 9 pin under the clutch cover on a 460, if not please disregard) I run a 9 pin on my PS7900 with a 17 inch set up in the same size wood your talking about. No 60 cc saw is going to keep up and you'll be getting a lot more use from the MS460 rather than leaving it on the shelf.

With this type of set up you need a real sharp chain, with a little lower raker height to make sure the chain gets a good bite, and make sure the oiler is set high. If the chain starts to get even a little dull and not pull a decent chip, stop and touch it up or pop on a new one.

Not saying there's anything wrong with a 562XP but I for one refuse to pay $725+ for the honor of being a Beta Tester for Husqvarna.

Take Care

The only Dolmar dealer in the area is an arrogant prick. When I went to look at saws, he acted like he didn't want to be bothered. I even called ahead to make an appointment, he's a small dealer.

Sounds like the first one is making/keeping him the second one. Great business plan.

Keith

Thanks for the Responses, even the ones that had nothing to do with my questions.
I'm going to go with the 562xp. I think I'll talk to that southern missouri feller about porting it.
The dealer has a some good incentive programs right now that will save me a fair amount of money.
Best,
Steve

Why would you want a 60cc saw for bucking when you already have one of the best 70cc class saws.

My wife asked me pretty much the same question. I explained to her that as the day progresses My back starts to bother me and I need a lighter saw to keep from injuring myself, in which case, she would have to cut and split all of the firewood.

I'm guessing that line of BS wouldn't work here, so...........just cause, I want one.

My wife asked me pretty much the same question. I explained to her that as the day progresses My back starts to bother me and I need a lighter saw to keep from injuring myself, in which case, she would have to cut and split all of the firewood.

I'm guessing that line of BS wouldn't work here, so...........just cause, I want one.

Well said and the same reason I run a 346 and 562...

My ported 562 XP is a great saw it does everything that I ask it to do. I run a 20 Inch bar on it. If I were you I would def get the 562 XP I don't think ull be disappointed.

You do have to decide on the financial aspect of it though. I may very well end up with a 562xp (although the 576xpAT and 7900 still intrigue me) and if I do, it will eventually be ported by Stumpy. That said, depending on the price of your 562 ($650-800) plus porting you're looking at $900-1050. For that price you could have a between a 372xp and a 390xp the Stihl equivalents to include the 660 and the bigger Dolmars. The op was wanting a mid-size saw and from the sounds of it (plus having the MS460) likely the 562xp or the MS361-2 would be right up his alley deping on the wight difference between the 372xp/7900/576xp-vs-MS460. There's a lot of reason to have a ported 60cc saw. If weight's a concern, that's the route I'd go. Otherwise a 460 and a 50cc saw will cover a lot of ground dealing with firewood. Of course the cad in me would want every saw aforementioned, plus several more, with only a practical need for 2x 50cc/ 1x 70cc and 1x 90+cc saws...

Outcome

Lots of good ideas and advice here.
I picked up the 562xp this evening. After reading all of your posts, I realized that I didn' t really need another saw, glad I didn't let that sway me. The dealer didn't have a 20" tech lite at the shop but will order me one Monday morning.
After reading what Blsnelling and Swamp Yankee had to say, I put a 20" bar on the ms460 and the 24" on the 038M. Most of my cutting, 80%, is done with an 18"(ms261) or 20" saw and it makes sense to make the most of the ms460s capability. Monday, I'll check on the possibility of a larger rim and shorter bar for the ms460.
I'm really looking forward to cutting with the 562xp but I'm almost as excited about the ms460.
I truly appreciate your input and assistance, not only in deciding which saw I didn' need, but also in showing me how optimize what I already had.
Thanks again for your help, it is appreciated.
Best,
Steve

Last edited:
Back