562XP Snapped Muffler Screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1stgei

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys.... picked up a used 562 for cheap , runs good , great compression... however the muffler bolt on the top right (see pics ) was snapped off in the hole. There is some caste that broke .... any advice on how to proceed. ? Should I drill it out and helicoil it? Size of bit etc?

Thanks a bunchIMG_1703.jpgIMG_1704.jpg

I would start with a left handle drill bit. If that don’t work drill it out more and try a ez out. Take your time. If that don’t work you can drill till you can get the proper size tap to clean it out. Next step would be to go up 2 tap sizes. I’m a time sert guy don’t care for heli coils

Sometimes I can get those out and sometimes not. Use a big of a bit as possible as a smaller bit will bend and go to the side and right into the cylinder threads wall. I take a pointed Dremal grinder rock and made a center for the drill bit in the broke stud first. If all else fails drill it out a size bigger and put a tine-sert in.. The culinder is softer than the stud, it is not an easy job to do. My luck usually runs 50/50 on getting those out and making a usuable cylinder..

You may want to centre punch your bolt just to make it easier to drill.

the easy out kits are just great for removing bolts. I would apply heat to the area first before trying to spin it out to make it easier.

Drill it as close to dead center as possible and use an easy out. Also clean it up after drilling with spray carb cleaner and comp. air, then heat it up and melt some wax down in the hole before you try to extract the stub. Wax works as a penetrating lube and helps getting to break free.

You’re still going to need tig welding on the cracked wall section after you get the muff bolt out, so then just fill it all in, then drill & tap to the original size. Clean the weld out of the port to match the old contour.

If you can’t do that yourself, you’ll probably want to get another cylinder to replace it. The cost may be more for the welding, drill & tap, & the cleanup labor...

Back