562XP starting problems fixed? Was it BAD OIL?!???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanadams

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First 562XP ran fine out of the box, after a few days had trouble starting when warm.

Problem kept getting worse so I returned for another 562XP

Second 562XP had same problem immediately. Thought maybe I had bad gas, bought more gas, mixed another tank. Saw ran great!

Problem solved? No, after a week the new saw was running as badly as the first.

So I mixed a new tank of the SAME gas but with a DIFFERENT 2-stroke oil. Now the saw runs fine.

The oil I was having problems with was called "Pro Mix". Shop Pro Mix 16oz. 2-Cycle Lubricant at Lowes.com

Now I am using Stihl (just because I had some, will switch to Husq next). We'll see over time if the saw continues to run OK then I can be confident that my problem was just the oil this whole time.

It appears that the "Pro Mix" runs fine when the tank has just been mixed, but after a few days it somehow degrades the fuel, as if there is some slow chemical reaction occurring in the mixed tank. I think it is possible that this product has a different composition from other oils because it is marketed as having the unique property that you can run any engine with it at a 50:1 ratio. I didn't buy it for that reason, I only bought it because I like the metered dispenser bottle.

Would be interested in anyone's thoughts as to how different 2-stroke oils might differ?

Here it comes.....

Yes I'm an idiot. Now that we have that out of the way, I just want to understand the problem. In all the troubleshooting I did, online, with the dealer, with the manufacturer, nobody suggested I might have a fuel or oil problem. This mix ran fine in both my H345 and leaf blower.

Being marketed as being able to run at 50:1 in any engine is the same claim that about every quality mix available says also. Your oil is only 1/50 of your fuel mix, that saw should run on any mix designed for modern two cycle engine at the prescribed ratio. Fuel degradation after one week because of chosen mix oil would be unlikely to me.

Guess what im saying is your original mix oil is probably just fine

Last edited:
was this oil you were using up to standards and on par with stihl or husky oils? did it have a fuel stabilizer?

I have been running mine on 93 premium, 10% ETOH with stihl ultra at 50:1. No problems whatsoever. It is one heck of a saw. Very strong and very smooth. Impressive engineering. It has quickly become the favorite “goto” saw. I would not think “mix” would make that much of a difference but with the new autotune, maybe it does. When I get a chance, I will try mine on amsoil saber at 50:1 and see if it likes dark beer better. It is a thirsty little beast.

I'm running Stihl Ultra in mine at 50:1 and have had no problems.

You aren't choking it after it's warm are you???

Yes I'm an idiot. Now that we have that out of the way, I just want to understand the problem. In all the troubleshooting I did, online, with the dealer, with the manufacturer, nobody suggested I might have a fuel or oil problem. This mix ran fine in both my H345 and leaf blower.

If your mix runs fine in your other equipment , then it can be eliminated as the problem i would believe.

In my 562 I run Stihl Ultra 50:1 with 87 non-ethanol sometimes with ethanol. But certainly no problems at all. One very fine chainsaw IMO.

If your mix runs fine in your other equipment , then it can be eliminated as the problem i would believe.

Maybe, unless the other equipment is just less finicky. If the oil is causing the gas to degrade then there could be a point where it's good enough for a lower compression engine but problematic in one that demands the best fuel. I'm supposing there is a reaction here taking place in the mix over time, which is reducing the effective octane level or some other characteristic of the fuel.

In other words, I can't identify anything but this oil as the variable between success and failure in the 562xp.

I only mentioned that it ran in my other equipment because that is what initially caused me NOT to investigate a fuel/oil problem.

Maybe, unless the other equipment is just less finicky. If the oil is causing the gas to degrade then there could be a point where it's good enough for a lower compression engine but problematic in one that demands the best fuel. I'm supposing there is a reaction here taking place in the mix over time, which is reducing the effective octane level or some other characteristic of the fuel.

In other words, I can't identify anything but this oil as the variable between success and failure in the 562xp.

I only mentioned that it ran in my other equipment because that is what initially caused me NOT to investigate a fuel/oil problem.

I dont know Sean, i fully understand any hesitation to blame the saw especially since its saw number two. Something just aint adding up here. Get some more run time on your new mix formulation, if thats all thats needed then by all means feed it only that. Whole lot of Husky fans here, none of us want it to fail.

The experiment seems simple enough. Mix up another batch of Shop Pro and try it in the saw again. If you get the same symptoms, its probably the oil that is giving you grief, although I would also mix up a test batch of Shop Pro with new fuel. Are you using something different than pump gas???

Does the 562xp have feelings? I asked because for every post about problems with the saws there always seems to be a post which says mine is "great", no problems so far, good luck with your troubles. My saw works great so therefore I hear you but it definitely has to be something your doing wrong. There are clearly issues as with every new product and was probably why they were recalled in the first place. Some saws have still shown up with problems and some have not..........Soon it will be traced to the date the faulty saws were manufactured and it will get cleared up from there.:biggrin:

Did you read the reviews under your link to this oil? Found it odd that the first review said it cost them a blower. I recall Tanaka or Shindaiwa had problems with branded mix oil several years ago, so it can happen.

Ya but you have to be aware of the selection bias with those reviews... who bothers to post a positive comment about something as mundane as oil?

Back