576xp being replaced with 572XP . . . Latest generation auto tune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... ... i know there is some worthy wood left but come on man. my grandfather logged from east to west. he left the east back in the 60's cause there was nothing left to be cut there lol. or has it grown back? hahahah ... ...

There's not much true old-growth in the east, but FWIW, the 58 acre section of the family farm here that was supposedly the best white and red oak stand in Indiana according to the tree farming association (a lot of the big ones in that area got logged a couple years ago, and a few more finishing up right now. And actually, one guy is doing all the felling/logging/skidding/loading.), and my great great grandma sold everything off the whole 340 acres that would make a railroad tie during the depression, and that particular 58 acre area was completely clear-cut at that time. When my dad was a kid in the 60's, that area was all scrub timber. Yeah, not the 8' dia old growth that the redwoods and other evergreens get out west, but good sized stuff for hardwood has come back in a lot of areas.

I'm not speaking to the "who's a real logger" bravado ********. Hell, I'm an engineer who spends time on the family tree farm and cutting fire wood and hunting. I'm just saying that in the last 70-80 years, yes, a lot of stuff that wasn't worth the time to log it is now good sized timber, by hardwood standards.

Not certain the genesis of the discussion of what a logger is or isn't, as has been discussed these new 572's are designed to appeal to a really broad cross section of the saw market place, both pro and not....appeals to farmer types like me, especially if the advertised emphasis on reliability turns into reality. After the first year, the pizazz of new is gone and the grind of life with the saw continues. The ease of which it is to live with a saw in those out years is what builds brand loyalty or contempt. But to the "Logger" thing.

Here we have all kinds. Big, small, mechanical & saw alike. While the big heavy equipment dominate the high production world here, especially the soft wood operations harvesting "State" lands (Think about that for a split second NY tax payers); there are many smaller "logger" type business that still carve a living with a saw yet. I have my three "favorites" as continual customers over the last few years that fit three different size profiles...all still use a LOT of saw supplies and keep me entertained with fixing a variety of saws suffering a wide variety of negative experiences. One a mix of feller buncher work with a crew with saws for smaller tactical jobs. (Has 372's 441'a and now adding 562's)Another does a lot of work for utilities.(has 550's and built 254's, likes "old school" saws and has blended interest with work) Mostly bucket work. My absolute favorite is a one man operation who makes a living doing "low impact" harvesting on agricultural land. One hard working man who limbs with his 390...easily. Literally a 6 day a week, 10 hr a day operation. (He's going to show up from time to time in video's BTW, already has) Has a two year backlog of work. Doubt any one could convince him he's not a real logger. I can't run fast anymore so wouldn't even tease that direction..Those new 572's will be of real interest to him. He likes the 562's I feed him to run but they just are on the edge of being interesting ...a little more displacement will do the trick is my guess. Especially with autotune. The world here about tweaking even modifying saws is an INTERNET world that he's not a part of and not even interested in. AND the focus on light weight in other offerings? Like I said he limbs with a 390 (Has two 390's, a 372XT, Stihl MS660 and what ever I send to test IF he has time..and thats a big "if"). All he wants is for those saws to cut fast enough, NOT to stop or be hard to start. Guess over the last decade of watching this stuff online you realize there are a lot of smart folks, all with a vision of reality based on real experience, but different than others who have a perfectly clear view of their reality as well...equally relevant and legitimate. Companies like Husqvarna spend a gazillion hours trying to build products that span as many of those realities as possible...I for one am really looking forward to the 572's....my bet is this fellow will have mostly 572's within a few years from what I'm seeing..:)

Another fellow I support has 3 576's I've tweaked....don't know why the one I just profiled never warmed up to them. He had the opportunity...just they didn't bite. I really like them. ..I'd pick a 576 over a 372XT even a 390 every time. Just a humble opinion..Why there are so many saws and brands I guess...

... ... as has been discussed these new 572's are designed to appeal to a really broad cross section of the saw market place, both pro and not....appeals to farmer types like me, especially if the advertised emphasis on reliability turns into reality. After the first year, the pizazz of new is gone and the grind of life with the saw continues. The ease of which it is to live with a saw in those out years is what builds brand loyalty or contempt. ... ...

To that, I'm pretty stoked about them, as well, and will of course wait a year or 2 to see what's what. I hope that given the growing pains that they had with the 550 and 562, that the reason for the delays putting this saw out has been testing and testing and testing. (though I can't complain about how good they were to work with, giving me a brand new 550 with the updates, and selling me my original 7-8 hour 550 for scrap saw price, so I could re-tune the idle air bypass under the brass plug, and give it to my dad after I re-sealed the top end and transfers to make sure they were good. Which, as it happens, was QUITE a step up for him, from his ECHO 440EVL that he bought 30 years ago, has used for fire wood every year, and is still on the stock top end!)

Watching your recent videos on the 555-562 differences, though, makes me think that getting a 565 and making it a 572 won't be as easy as the 365 XT turning into a 372XP XT by grinding the dividers out of the transfer covers! Really glad I saw that before trying to find a stuffer crank for my 555 to turn it into a 562, and nothing fitting!

Mike

Barton
I have a 555 that mweba put a 562 jug on and stuffed the crank with 562 tuning. It runs great [emoji106]
He did a thread on it on AS. I called it 560 hybrid. I have recently sold it to my brother.

Sent from Hoskvarna Hills

To that, I'm pretty stoked about them, as well, and will of course wait a year or 2 to see what's what. I hope that given the growing pains that they had with the 550 and 562, that the reason for the delays putting this saw out has been testing and testing and testing. (though I can't complain about how good they were to work with, giving me a brand new 550 with the updates, and selling me my original 7-8 hour 550 for scrap saw price, so I could re-tune the idle air bypass under the brass plug, and give it to my dad after I re-sealed the top end and transfers to make sure they were good. Which, as it happens, was QUITE a step up for him, from his ECHO 440EVL that he bought 30 years ago, has used for fire wood every year, and is still on the stock top end!)

Watching your recent videos on the 555-562 differences, though, makes me think that getting a 565 and making it a 572 won't be as easy as the 365 XT turning into a 372XP XT by grinding the dividers out of the transfer covers! Really glad I saw that before trying to find a stuffer crank for my 555 to turn it into a 562, and nothing fitting!

Mike

The differences because of large vs. Small bar mount make it expensive unless u have a junker or three. Just mashing parts together isn't the best approach as I found out. Finding a used 2260 crank turned out to be a bust. Ended up buying a couple new 2260 cranks for future builds..;)

Also el47 vs el48 setup may not be as drastic...but is worth keeping all that stuff straight to. :)

Weight

Small mount bars range from 12”-18” (maybe 20” too). Large mount bars range from 18” - 36+”. The small mount bars are narrower top to bottom. The large mount bars are taller / larger. Generally small mount bars favor .325 chain, but do come in 3/8”. Large mount bars favor 3/8” chain, and can come in 0.404”. Therefore, in summary, a small mount bar and chain will generally weigh less than a large mount bar and chain.

Weight

Small mount bars range from 12”-18” (maybe 20” too). Large mount bars range from 18” - 36+”. The small mount bars are narrower top to bottom. The large mount bars are taller / larger. Generally small mount bars favor .325 chain, but do come in 3/8”. Large mount bars favor 3/8” chain, and can come in 0.404”. Therefore, in summary, a small mount bar and chain will generally weigh less than a large mount bar and chain.
Thank you. I did not know that.

Weight

Small mount range from 12"-28" in 3/8' to me it's more of a hold back as well as they aren't as strong. To weight if you guys are really worried about the weight of a bar that short then run a smaller saw.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There's not much true old-growth in the east, but FWIW, the 58 acre section of the family farm here that was supposedly the best white and red oak stand in Indiana according to the tree farming association (a lot of the big ones in that area got logged a couple years ago, and a few more finishing up right now.
I had to laugh at that statement. Andyshine 77 said "most loggers think they are at the center of the universe". I doubt if the "Tree Farming Association" even knows there is a Southern Indiana.

I have a 2260 (small mount) and also a 562 (large mount) I run 3/8, 20 and 24" on both saws.

For bar's up to 24" I see NO advantage of the large bar mount, I may as well take advantage of the small weight savings of the small bar mount.

SR

I agree, up to around 20-24” I don’t see any advantage either. But there is a bigger-is-better attitude here and Husky only made a 562xp for the states, the 560 isn’t even an option, let alone the ONLY option. And while it’s a nice 60cc saw, I can’t really see running a 28” bar on it. If I have to cut wood that big, I’d bring a bigger saw.

But if weight savings is what you’re chasing, it’s easier to buy a RW bar than to import a whole saw from across the pond.

But if weight savings is what you’re chasing, it’s easier to buy a RW bar than to import a whole saw from across the pond.
You don't have to import anything, just go buy a Jonsered 2260, that's what I did and EVERYONE who uses the saw, LOVES it!

SR

Small mount range from 12"-28" in 3/8' to me it's more of a hold back as well as they aren't as strong. To weight if you guys are really worried about the weight of a bar that short then run a smaller saw.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Not sure that anyone was actually "worried " about the weight, just explaining the difference/benefit.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

I found this gem in another thread. It's supposedly the rear handle of said 'mystery saw'
3c02159a514ab3439d67b80a43f6a37a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag but I thought the sticker was cool!

I had to laugh at that statement. Andyshine 77 said "most loggers think they are at the center of the universe". I doubt if the "Tree Farming Association" even knows there is a Southern Indiana.

The farm is in southern IN. Until several years ago, my Grandpa was big into it. Speaking on what's been done here as far as what it started with and what it is (including a FULL (3-years back) tax audit a few months after speaking in D.C. about how to do finances/taxes on a tree farm, do board-ft inventory to depreciate timber, etc., They found no problems, BTW), board feet/acre vs. TSI/logging over time, Purdue Ag/forestry dept bringing students down to the farm (and having to use the tractor to help the damn tour busses up the hill) every couple years to see the north 58 acres in question (and the rest of the farm) to show what can be done with reclaimed forest, tree farm association holding classes there about the same thing, etc. etc. etc. I'm sure it's possible that there's some old growth stand somewhere in the HNF, or on somebody's property who doesn't do anything but hunt there, or whatever, but nothing that any forester, logger, TFA attendee, or Purdue forestry person who saw this place ever claimed to have seen. That's why I said "supposedly." I think it's probably a reasonable assumption, though, because to get that density of really good white and some red oak trees (with a comparatively high percentage of veneer trees), you pretty much have to be managing it via TSI cutting, getting rid of grapevines and ivy vines, etc. Either way, if there is a stand as good or better in Indiana, that's great! and it sort of helps make my point about there being good lumber in mid-country, now, that at some point was down to not much decent size stuff.

Mike

Back