576XP Test Run Day 1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, this is kinda long, but hopefully interesting. If not you know where the back button is.

Picked up the Husky Reps 576XP for a weekend of fun and pleasure at the local dealers this morning. Got there about 10:30 and it was waiting there just like he said it would be.

Busy morning, really didn't get started on my neighbors pile of white oaks until after lunch. Prior to going over I took some shots of the saw. The weights shown on the scale are for the 576XP and my Dolmar PS7900. Both were fully tanked and had 20 inch bar and chain. Weights are certified by the order of fat old men and are only intended for reference. Certainly are interesting and bears out what you feel when you heft both saws.

Took a couple of shots of the downed trees before starting. Spent 3 tanks in the MS200T cutting up the tops and branches so I would have some room to work and be able to see what was on the ground. As an aside, the more I run that MS200T the more I like it. Great little limbing saw.

After the junk was cleared I cut just about 1/2 of everything 6-7 inches and under to length with the MS200T. Had a Coke, and fired up the 576XP. Put 2 tanks through it cutting up the tops and trunks 18 inches or so and under to length. My neighbor has a small stove by the way so everything is being cut to 14 to 16 inches in length. Takes a while to say the least.

Anyway the 576XP ran great. It has excellent power. While it seems very heavy when carrying it once you start working with it it balances well and feels quite good. I didn't find working with it to be as bad as I thought I might. As I said in a previous post, the anti-vibe on this saw is outstanding, just plain smooth. The 576 definitely has more guts and a much wider power band than the 372XP I had. To be very honest I like it better than the 372XP. It almost matches the PS 7900 in grunt, at least in the oak I was cutting. I did feel a lot of heat coming off the cylinder and muffler with my left hand when running the saw in the bigger pieces. It wasn't scalding hot, but certainly noticeable. Other than the chain being a Husky chain and not holding an edge I really can't say anything bad and certainly found a lot to like about the saw.

My opinion, Husky as reincarnated the 281XP but with higher rpms. That's what I was thinking as I was running it. Man this thing feels just like my old 281XP. High praise indeed.

So that ends day one. Tomorrow if I have time I'm going after the trunk and noodling the big stuff so I can get it on the splitter. I mounted up my 28 inch bar with semi-skip chain tonight. I want to see how the saw acts when pulling a long bar. I've got some big stumps 3 to 4 foot on diameter to cut down tomorrow as well.

Anyway, that's day one's experience. Hope to post more tomorrow or Sunday. Have to give the saw back on Monday, bummer.

Take Care

I agree, I only notice the weight when carrying but once you start working up some wood I don't notice the weight at all. Seems to balance out nice with plenty of guts. I really like mine! I don't find it heavy to carry but it's not light either if that makes sense. I've never ran a 372 so can't compare there.

Chris

Wait till you get a few tanks of gas through it. Mine's had about 6 tanks through it and it's really starting to wake up. I'm going to try some VP Racing fuels C12 race gas mixed with Stihl Ultra synthetic oil. I'm going after 10 cords this weekend.

I'll try to post some pics as well.

Those things start to really kick by tank 12 to 15. Now get one modded by treeslinger and she turns into a monster.

Are you going to be giving it back on Monday? I think it will end up staying in your Garage.

give it hell swamp! i oogled a 576 a month or so ago but i never ran one as of yet. i think you could squeeze another saw in the shed right?? lol enjoy the free rental. tomorrow im plannin on beatin on my splitter. i gotta get that stuff off the lawn.

probly overkill for wood like that. a ported or stock 359 or 361 would do nicely.

pretty cool that you got to give it test run

I love my 576 although i am on my 3rd tank of gas i already noticed a hell of a diffrence from when i got it to now. Although if things look good for next week i am going to go pick up a 372xp and a 346xp. I would love to try a dolmar saw i see most guys on hear when they post have atleast one dolmar.

Well enjoy your weekend:cheers:

576xp

Run both the 576 and 372, I agree the 576 offers more midrange performance however the additional weight of the saw takes its toll on me by the end of the day. Would prefur to use my modded 2071 Jonsered or my 372XPW. I actuallly like my 2071 best, lighter than the 372xpw and about equal power.

The specs look better than my 441, more power same weight but how is the pricing with a 24". I ran my 660 against a 390 the other day at work and have to say the 390 was a bit faster. Then I ran the husky and it felt as smooth as silk.

For those still interested

Here's Day 2 & 3 with the test 576XP.

Day 2

Had very limited time but managed to try the 576XP with the 28 inch bar and semi-skip chain. It pulled it very well, still not up to the PS7900 but did fine. I would say 28 inch B&C is about all this saw wants. I had about 8 to 10 pieces where I got to fully bury the bar and it would take some loading before bogging down. Probably would run a larger bar in a pinch. The anti-vibe on this saw still amazes me. Even with the long bar it was smooth as silk. As I was on about the 5th tank I could feel the saw is starting to break in. Still getting a lot of heat on the left hand from the cylinder.

Anyway I got the butt log bucked up and managed to find old pieces of barbed wire in the tree twice. Spent as much time sharpening as cutting.

Day 3
Today was splitting day. I put the 20 inch Husky B & C back on and burned 1-1/2 tanks noodling the chunks. Once again the saw was ripping literally. I got a bit more aggressive with the chain this time taking the rakers down putting a little more hook in the teeth. Saw was pulling huge noodles. The clutch cover did a decent job of not clogging, but the way the chips were being pulled not the saw's fault. Really nice power band on this saw.

Rest of the day was spent with the T'Wolf making little pieces out of big pieces.

Overall I really like this saw. It is heavier than the PS7900, no doubt, but I found it easy to work with and having good balance. The power this saw has is definitely an upgrade from the 372XP. As I said before, it's like having a 281XP all over again. Saw will pull a 28 inch bar comfortably. I would have really liked to try this saw with an 8 tooth sprocket & the 20 inch bar. It's got the guts to really run it. Anti-vibe is the best I've ever run.

Sorry I've got to give this saw back. Unlike the 372XP I had, this saw grew on me.

My opinion, and remember what you paid for it, Husky's got a real winner.

Take Care

What's the rep. quoting on the saw out the door?

Jonny Quest sent me link with a pretty decent price tag on one. Like to stay local when possible.

Latest posts

Back