576xp with Cracked ring that trashed cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring1898

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Purchased this new project site unseen. First time working on a 576xp.

Used but not abused shape, probably has a couple hundred hours on it. Not running, poor compression.

View through the exhaust looks great, very clean piston, no scoring, saw turns over smoothly, bearings feel tight.

I don't have a block off plate for these so I try to pull the cylinder to figure out how best to seal the saw. Cylinder gets stuck. I tap it off with a soft wood mallet and find that the ring failed at the site of the R intake port which destroyed the back side of the cylinder with deep gouges. Must have ran that way for a short while to smooth the new mating surfaces out to the point it pulled over cleanly.

Anyone seen a ring failure like this on these? It is like the ring caught on something. I only had time to pull it apart so I will take a closer look the next time. But I saw no evidence of a lean running state or any other scoring.

I will pressure/vacuum test to be safe, I am thinking plumber putty on the intake side unless anyone else has any tricks.

Needless to say I will be needing a new P/C. Can these be built with no gasket? Don't know too much about these strato saws.

Back