6 cords out of one tree, 6 to go! Big one!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

man!!that sure is a beauty ! glad you arnt letting anyone touch it, im sure some of the yahoos on here would love to sink their 660s and 390s into it :dizzy:

.. but 10 cords? i duno.. 10 cords is a lot of wood! trees always seem to have more wood in them when they are standing, once they hit the ground and you take all the brush off the top, the real story unfolds. that sure is a monster oak though

im still waitin for pics of this 12 cord cottonwood :D:bowdown:

In my experience,

Once you start splittin' and stackin' the wood expands dramatically.

Bet that old Boy is closer to 12 cord than 10 cord.

That dude is over seven feet across in spots, SOLID.

The root flare is over 10!

That dude is over seven feet across in spots, SOLID.

The root flare is over 10!

DAMN! well you know what they say, pictures never do anything justice for size , etc. i guess there is only one way to find out if your estimation is right... start cuttin :)

also, did you clear all the scrub growth from around it in the past? or is the huge canopy stopping all growth under it?

Never cleared a thing.

That is the Alpha Dog!

Only lived here 6 years, tree could be 300 years old?

thats awesome, its like all the little scrub trees know better than to try and grow in his spot, word got out, and they dont mess with his nutrients anymore

We are at cord count 7.5++ now, worked on the "little " 40" branch that was moved away from the main tree, got about 1.5 out of it b4 I had enough, lost one of the coils on my 5.4 Ford, -2 and 3" of snow, brrrrrr. All wood is bucked and noodled to fit the stoves on site, no splitting here!! I am still thinking it might just make my guess of 12 cords, it might come up a little short, will just have to wait and see!! There is alot of wood left!! It all depends on how the main trunk produces, really hard to tell, but it will be close!

thats awesome, its like all the little scrub trees know better than to try and grow in his spot, word got out, and they dont mess with his nutrients anymore

More like those cottonwoods suck all the moisture out of the ground so there's nothing left for anybody else! :)

I've got some pretty big cottonwoods on my land. I've had people tell me to cut em down due to the spring time mess. F that I say let em get bigger!!

We burn cottonwood because it is the only tree that grows here except for russian olive, any volunteers to come and cut olive? (blood wood), blood will leak out of yer body if you cut this stuff. I seem to manage to heat my 2400 sf house and detail shop just fine with cottonwood. The thing is, we have MAN sized stoves, not the puny little baby stoves, I tried one, the Ashiling Waterford, POS for burning this wood. The trick is big fireboxes, non epa blaze king, king models are the ones! I also supply wood for my buddy who heats his repair shop with giant stove with a water heat exchanger in it. I have a pic or two of this tree, but am not able to post it, I can send them to someone that would though.

Yes, I can relate. poplar and eleagnus grow like weeds here too. The poplar smells bad when you burn it, but doesn't have thorns! We don't have all the 100 + year old hardwoods out here on the west side of the Rockies, but will burn anything to keep our butts warm....

Latest posts

Back