6 cords out of one tree, 6 to go! Big one!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I laughed at that one as well. I'm from Billings. For the rest of you, pull out your US Atlas and look at Wyoming. You don't see many towns there, and that's not because the map makers didn't want to bother with the smaller towns - there just aren't any. Make sure you fill your gas tank whenever you can when driving through WY!

And I hear you on the blood wood - those Russian Olives are really something. Taking over Billings like the plague, but I still think they're pretty trees - dark bark with pale leaves. Too bad they have those stinkin' thorns!

The R/O tree is taking over along the river here big time, state is now paying to get rid of them, kinda sad, the conservation district was selling them not that many years ago for wind breaks! Russian Olive is actually pretty good wood if you have a shark suit to go cut it, dang mean trees, not sure on the btu s but I will use it anytime! When did you leave Billings? I know that you have been around these giant trees, some folks just do not understand how big they are eh?

attachment.php
This is typical of swampies here but they get much larger by the river in the park. Most folks feel threatened by them and ask for them to be removed. They are not dominant here so other wood is preferred for firewood etc. We typically cut them small enough to load in to a dump truck and take them to a large burn pile at a quarry. When you put a saw into them you need rain gear!

The R/O tree is taking over along the river here big time, state is now paying to get rid of them, kinda sad, the conservation district was selling them not that many years ago for wind breaks! Russian Olive is actually pretty good wood if you have a shark suit to go cut it, dang mean trees, not sure on the btu s but I will use it anytime! When did you leave Billings? I know that you have been around these giant trees, some folks just do not understand how big they are eh?

I've been out here in IL for about 12 years. I'd love to get back West again - anywhere along the Rocky Mts. It's so flat here you could watch your dog run away for a week. Humid, too. They got things out here called slugs - not the kind you get on a Saturday night down at the saloon - these slugs are little animals that look like somebody blew their nose and left a 5 inch trail of snot on the ground. It's much better out West, although they do have a lot of different kinds of trees. Not much in the way of pine, birch aspen and other great trees from the West.
Yes, those cottonwoods can get big. They grow really well along the Yellowstone. About the only tree that can grow in that soil. Never burned one, though I bet you could make a few good presto-logs out of the 'cotton' they drop.

I have some of the monster in the stove right now, -9 outside and must be 80 in here. I can get 10-12 hour burn times with a good load, I loaded it at 930 last night and it will need a refill in about an hour. Not bad for cottowood eh?

I have some of the monster in the stove right now, -9 outside and must be 80 in here. I can get 10-12 hour burn times with a good load, I loaded it at 930 last night and it will need a refill in about an hour. Not bad for cottowood eh?
Just dropped off a truckload of 50% elm and 50% cottonwood, split, delivered, and stacked. The lady wants it for a large fireplace that can easily handle a 30" log. I found enough 18" to 25" pieces for her and she loves it. Apparently, she can't find anyone cutting wood that long. I told her that the combination of elm and cottonwood is perfect for a fireplace--no sparks, easy to light, good flames, lots of heat, easy to carry to the hearth, and not heavy like other hardwoods.

Bingo! :biggrinbounce2:

Not a big-un, but was shading my garden spot,

Dropped bucked and burnt in one day.

Man, if I coulda' captured those BTUs I could of heated my house for a month!

attachment.php

burning cottonwood

Self sufficiency is the most important thing. If it works don't fix it. You are right about needing a large stove. When you need a fire that will stay alive for 10-12 hours you need a bigger firebox unless you have access to dense hardwoods. My acreage is covered with black cottonwoods smaller cousin balsam poplar. I clean up some of the dead and dry stuff and burn it. I girdle some of the younger trees and they slowly die without sprouting from the roots again. They dry out without rotting right on the stump. these are the best for burning. There are some downsides to it. Lots of ashes, lower BTU value by volume. I don't have a massive stove so I burn mine during milder weather and use pine the rest of the year. Black cottonwood bark is great for burning as well. Especially for quick fires in spring or fall and in woodburning cookstoves.

Last edited:
Heading out Friday, 8 am to whittle on it some more, would like to get a couple more cords outa it, but have to head to the mtn to get our Christmas tree at about 11. I am going to work on the final "small" limb, it is about 40" diameter and 75' long. After this limb it is all big stuff from there on out. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

postpics.gif

12 cords from one tree.. still dont believe it !!
postpics.gif

happy thanksgiving though:pumpkin2:

Here's my Thanksgiving gift to banshee67;

He said he wanted to see a tree that would give 10 cord (yes full 4'x4'x8')

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry not a Cottonwood,

It's a White Oak and I rekon it was too big and wonky for the boys clearin' and loggin' back in the day.

Believe it or not, this tree is on my woodlot.

Aint no one going to find out for sure how many cord are there, as long as I have sumthin' to say about it!

i burn a lot of cottonwood in the early fall and in the spring. works great when its 40 outside and the house needs a little warm up. burns hot and quick and doesnt leave much ash.

Hey Sachmo!! Nice tree!! Man I wish I knew how to do pix, cuz yours would fit inside of this bog ol girl!! I would not cut yours down for anything, but.... it could blow over eh? I can not even imagine what it is like to have good hardwood trees everywhere! I think that my non epa blaze king, kings, jammed up with some high btu wood.... OH LORDY!!! I hope to get cords 7 and 8 out in the am!!

Hey Sachmo!! Nice tree!! Man I wish I knew how to do pix, cuz yours would fit inside of this bog ol girl!! I would not cut yours down for anything, but.... it could blow over eh? I can not even imagine what it is like to have good hardwood trees everywhere! I think that my non epa blaze king, kings, jammed up with some high btu wood.... OH LORDY!!! I hope to get cords 7 and 8 out in the am!!

this should get you going

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=90494

You know the rules,

But I have seen some monstrous Cottonwood even around these parts.

I know them westies can put ours to shame.

But hey Banshee asked in your post (and the other one) to show him a 10 cord tree.

20' circumference is nothing to sneeze at for a White Oak.

Best part is, It is under my care, (for awhile)

Latest posts

Back