6' DBH laurel oak stump......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeclimber 165

attached is a zipped file of the log weights that use to be in the sherril catalog. I scanned it out of an old catalog. Alot of people seem to want/need this so here it is.

steve

If you have a Mac or don't have an unzipping utility, you can use this, but Shespen's file is of higher quality.

Nickrosis

18 inch bar makes it ticklish, maybe you could get it on the ground and make a real big flower pot out of the two halves. John Kesslick is doing that up in the North East.

Do you have a good anchor point for a pull rope, so your sure it goes one way?

Are there several good excape routs incase of hinge failure?

Are you sure the decay goes all the way to where you would hinge? On a solid trunk the biggest tree I would tackle with 18 inches of bar is around 45 inches. Some say 3 times the bar length, but I like a little reserve. And faces can be tricky when you have to plung.

quick update........

i just want to thank everyone for the great advice!!!!!!
i stopped by my customers this morning and told her
that as much as i would like to do the job, it was a bit
out of my reach at this time. she said that she appreciated
my honesty and said that i was about the 5th person to
turn down this job (news to me).
so, as i build my business, hopefully down the road, i'll be
tackle jobs like this. but for now, i'll wait.
thanks again guys!!!!!!!!
budroe:cool:

Good Man!

But if i was looking to do exploratory for soundness/ depth of wood; i would look to violate it less (and reduce liability if i walked after exploratory); i would opt for a cordless drill and small bit to plug it.

A hinge is a machine for pivoting leveraged mass, if it has less fibre, or decayed fiber, this machine is weakened and subject to failure and unpredictability. When odds are against you alos with mass, placement; that is doing 2 things wrong at once, never do 2 things wrong at once; for those things compound each other, just like doing 2 things right can compound each other.

Everything to scale, some things put the needle in the red, some of these you must pass on, this is dangerous biz, even if we do it like it was nothing! So to drop the risk level, shave off the most dangerous jobs for your level/equipment!

i think your life would be a whole lot nicer, with an 044/046; very good all round saws! Lot of power to pound. If i was restricted to 2-3 saws, this would certainly be one of them. Also, smaller saws would last longer, as wear was off them, and in the right weight class.

Latest posts

Back