6" Morbark Chipper???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbumgarner78

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the tree business so any help would be greatly appreciatted! I have found a small used Morbark 6" chipper that is a few years old. I believe it has a 25 or 27 HP Kohler gas engine on it. Anyone have any experience with these machines will they truly grind a 5" piece of wood. I know a larger chipper would probably be better but for now a smaller one will have to do.

Thanks
Aaron

Virginia

I'm relatively new to the tree business so any help would be greatly appreciatted! I have found a small used Morbark 6" chipper that is a few years old. I believe it has a 25 or 27 HP Kohler gas engine on it. Anyone have any experience with these machines will they truly grind a 5" piece of wood. I know a larger chipper would probably be better but for now a smaller one will have to do.

Thanks
Aaron

Virginia

Nothing smaller then a 10" with a diesel or you'll not be able to do ANYTHING... you're looking at $15K for a decent used machine....Morbark or Brush Bandit are the two better manufacturers

I don't have any time on that machine but have used the Vermeer 6" chipper and the Bandit 6" chippers a fair amount. They're not 9-12" chippers, but it isn't like they're Craftsman 10hp leaf grinders or something that bad.

In my experience the 6" chippers powered by the 24-27hp Kohler gas engines are pretty slow when material gets above 4". If all you are doing is grinding up shrubs and trimmings, or buying a chipper for personal use, then these sorts of machines might be an option. But the price would have to be pretty low to get me interested.

The only 6" chipper worth a darn is the Bandit (65AW?) with the 37hp Wisconsin gas engine, it actually does a respectable job with 4-5" material, and can chip an honest 6" with a slight decrease in chipping speed.

Thanks for the replies. Im actually doing tree work everyday but processing the logs for firewood so I need something to mostly chip the tops. I have since found a source for some larger reconditioned machines so I may look around a bit more.

Thanks!

My first was a Bandit model 90 with a Kubota diesel.I loved it,it was an awesome machine,and I would highly reccomend looking for a used one..I am considering buying one within the next few months just for pruning jobs to keep the hours down on my Bandit 250

Thanks for the replies. Im actually doing tree work everyday but processing the logs for firewood so I need something to mostly chip the tops. I have since found a source for some larger reconditioned machines so I may look around a bit more.

Thanks!

Thanks for the added information. If you're going to be keeping the larger stuff for firewood, then a peppy 6" machine like the Bandit w/ the 37hp Wisconsin may not be such a bad choice in your application.

Back