6 rounds was a load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
BB2C0BDF-5D93-473B-95E1-006BB6AD07FC.jpeg 628CE549-34A3-4E63-A1F8-577604CFB4DD.jpeg 537E1B62-82CA-4284-AA1F-B706FC3DDA44.jpeg 1A43A3FB-D403-48FC-A293-834D83DAD69E.jpeg FDFF43F3-A9A2-41E8-BC46-9F11FFFE64EB.jpeg I scored some red oak that had been cut down about 1 year ago. It was close by so I took the train to get it. That way I can split and haul it home in 1 trip. All the small limbs and easy stuff was gone, what was left was just the big o trunk full of knots and crotches already cut into 18" rounds. There were 8 rounds, that I thought surely i could get 8 rounds in my 6.5' x 12' trailer. The rounds were not round and would not roll. They were 30-40" dia depending on where you were measuring. I had to noodled them into 1/4 rounds to be able to move them to the splitter. Most of the rounds were the kind of wood when you look at it, it's hard to tell which way the grain is going. The grain may change directions mid chunk of wood and you go from splitting to cutting thru it, or just wading it up. Doesn't stack well, but I use the toss it into the wood shed method of storage so stacking is not a problem. Any way, I only got 6 of them in the trailer, and it was full. Had to return for the other two another day. The pictures tell the story. I used to really like the big rounds, but I am having 2nd thoughts after this adventure. I may be getting old.

That's quite a splitter! Log lift too?
View attachment 654232 View attachment 654233 View attachment 654234 View attachment 654235 View attachment 654236 I scored some red oak that had been cut down about 1 year ago. It was close by so I took the train to get it. That way I can split and haul it home in 1 trip. All the small limbs and easy stuff was gone, what was left was just the big o trunk full of knots and crotches already cut into 18" rounds. There were 8 rounds, that I thought surely i could get 8 rounds in my 6.5' x 12' trailer. The rounds were not round and would not roll. They were 30-40" dia depending on where you were measuring. I had to noodled them into 1/4 rounds to be able to move them to the splitter. Most of the rounds were the kind of wood when you look at it, it's hard to tell which way the grain is going. The grain may change directions mid chunk of wood and you go from splitting to cutting thru it, or just wading it up. Doesn't stack well, but I use the toss it into the wood shed method of storage so stacking is not a problem. Any way, I only got 6 of them in the trailer, and it was full. Had to return for the other two another day. The pictures tell the story. I used to really like the big rounds, but I am having 2nd thoughts after this adventure. I may be getting old.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

View attachment 654232 View attachment 654233 View attachment 654234 View attachment 654235 View attachment 654236 I scored some red oak that had been cut down about 1 year ago. It was close by so I took the train to get it. That way I can split and haul it home in 1 trip. All the small limbs and easy stuff was gone, what was left was just the big o trunk full of knots and crotches already cut into 18" rounds. There were 8 rounds, that I thought surely i could get 8 rounds in my 6.5' x 12' trailer. The rounds were not round and would not roll. They were 30-40" dia depending on where you were measuring. I had to noodled them into 1/4 rounds to be able to move them to the splitter. Most of the rounds were the kind of wood when you look at it, it's hard to tell which way the grain is going. The grain may change directions mid chunk of wood and you go from splitting to cutting thru it, or just wading it up. Doesn't stack well, but I use the toss it into the wood shed method of storage so stacking is not a problem. Any way, I only got 6 of them in the trailer, and it was full. Had to return for the other two another day. The pictures tell the story. I used to really like the big rounds, but I am having 2nd thoughts after this adventure. I may be getting old.

So I was looking at your splitter and wondering what kind of engine.V W or corvair.Now I know.Question is : is it enough engine?

Is that an electric hydraulic cooler you have on your splitter? I'm assuming it's on the return side. I split in 100 degree summer weather and would like to put a cooler on my unit. If you don't mind giving please me a run down on how it's set up. Thanks

So I was looking at your splitter and wondering what kind of engine.V W or corvair.Now I know.Question is : is it enough engine?

It’s a 1600cc VW motor, and yes plenty of HP. It’s a 56 HP motor. I run it at 2200 rpm. At that speed I am guessing it’s around 35 HP. It runs a a single stage pump, so it doesn’t slow down when it get into a knot. I built it in 1987 so it’s got some miles on it. Works great.

I like big ish rounds...18-24 inch seems a good size to me.. still liftable and moveable without giving yourself a hernia (so long as you are careful) and usually split ok by hand...usually, although I have the saws to block up what doesn't. I find dealing with wood like that gets the pile growing faster than smaller stuff. However, those rounds the OP has..... that would be hard. If i had to tackel them then I'd probably noodle ino quarters or so, then load and deal with the bits at home

Is that an electric hydraulic cooler you have on your splitter? I'm assuming it's on the return side. I split in 100 degree summer weather and would like to put a cooler on my unit. If you don't mind giving please me a run down on how it's set up. Thanks[/QUOTE

Yes a electric fan, and it is on the return line. I was young and didn’t know squat about hydraulics when I built it, ( and still don’t), it didn’t have near big enough hydraulic tank. I ran it that way for years before I doubled the size of the tank and added the cooler. It will stay around 110 degrees now.

Motor didn't come out of bus in garage did it?
It’s a 1600cc VW motor, and yes plenty of HP. It’s a 56 HP motor. I run it at 2200 rpm. At that speed I am guessing it’s around 35 HP. It runs a a single stage pump, so it doesn’t slow down when it get into a knot. I built it in 1987 so it’s got some miles on it. Works great.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

VW splitter That is one nice splitter. Worked on a lot of VW engines years ago as I built and rebuilt a lot of fiber glass buggy's and sand rails. Now I am too old to do all that traveling. I sold all the buggies and VW stuff I had left. I have some pieces of locust that big waiting on me to split. The shoulder is going to have to get healed up be for that happens.

I had a rail buggy years ago. I bought a Old school VW Bus for $150. Just to get the low geared transaxle out of it for my rail buggy. I saved the engine under my work bench and got rid of the bus body a few years later I decided to build a splitter. The engine was one of the most expensive parts to come up with so.... a man uses what he has to work with. That’s where the be splitter originated. About 32 years ago. That old bus in the same condition would be worth thousands today.

VW splitter Some days I miss working on the old buggy's. We used a lot of bus trans axles swing and IRS in the buggys. Turned a lot of 1600 dual ports to 1835 for folks. I probably parted out 150 old beetles and buses over the years.

In the past I always got the larger diameter trees/wood because no one else wanted it. I liked it because I got more wood when we split it.

14'' to 26'' is the best size and the most productive. Big wood is a little more work but theirs a lot of wood in them big rounds. It mostly premium heart wood. Sap wood and heart wood are not the same.

I bet that splitter sounds pretty cool when it's running. I always liked the sound of those vw engines. I missed out on a trade deal on a 70s road buggy. I really wanted that thing.

I c your truck bed was empty. I would have filled that too and been way over loaded. Why make 2 trips when you can cram it in in 1. Lol

VW splitter Some days I miss working on the old buggy's. We used a lot of bus trans axles swing and IRS in the buggys. Turned a lot of 1600 dual ports to 1835 for folks. I probably parted out 150 old beetles and buses over the years.

Here is the other end of the one in the garage, loaded with grandkids. 1967, I have rebuilt the motor, breaks, & wiring. It goes, it stops, and all the lights work. Mechanically sound. Could use some body work, but I’m just driving it for now. 085B290F-0FDA-4F88-92FD-8006DD994ED5.jpeg

[QUOTE="Mustang71, post: 6582450
I c your truck bed was empty. I would have filled that too and been way over loaded. Why make 2 trips when you can cram it in in 1. Lol[/QUOTE

Yes, filling the truck would have got it in 1 load. I generally save the truck space for saws & fuel. This tree was close to home. By the time I get that trailer full and unloaded I have had enough fun for one day.

Neighbor and I cut some big ones the other day. Two of us could not lift any of it. We had to drive railroad spikes in to the cut faces on both sides, and with cable and a winch we were able to roll them up a ramp into a trailer.

I like the train. I'll have to look into that. It would be nice to split those monsters in place, and if the bark falls off in the wilderness, rather then my yard, that would be a bonus.

Latest posts

Back