6000lb of elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beefie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yep that's what I said, I helped out another farmer clean out his fence line of about 30 elm trees that were dead or dying. I have one more smaller load to go but this is my cut. We split the wood 50/50.
attachment.php

The truck ways in at 12540lb, and I no the truck empty is 6200-6400lb so there ya go. And for those safety people I only drove 30miles an hour the 1 mile I had to travel to get home. I think I even have a little bit of spring left in the pack:hmm3grin2orange:.

Beefie

P.s. Tried to take A pic of the read out on the scale but came out really blurry.

Good score! I've cut a lot of elm and it is pretty heavy stuff. I just cut some yesterday for a friend of mine who is a Vietnam Vet. He got his hand in a table saw about 6 weeks ago and still can't use it much. He heats with wood and isn't anywhere near ready for winter. I dropped 4 standing dead elms in the 18-25" range and blocked them up for him. Only got about 25% of it split though. Will probably go back out and finish the job tomorrow. I always like to help a vet if i can.

nice.
i hauled home this load yesterday from a farmers fenceline

1109001114.jpg

Doesn't look like much in the pic, but it was a load. I'm guessin 2 cord when split?

I brought in that much elm this summer. Maybe more. Let the rounds sit for three months before you split them--larger rounds even longer. That reduces their stringiness. A good sign is when the bark starts falling off. Then let it dry another three to five months after splitting.

Once split and dry, elm is fabulous firewood. Burns hot with no sparks.

nice.
i hauled home this load yesterday from a farmers fenceline

1109001114.jpg

Doesn't look like much in the pic, but it was a load. I'm guess 2 cord when split?

I think it is time to recalibrate the old eye ball vwboomer. A cord of elm weighs in at 5500lb+ when green. your trailer looks to be a 7000lb capacity( I can tell buy your wheel hubs) I think you only have around a cord or a little less. If you did have 2 cord on your trailer it would need to be stacked a bit higher something like this.
attachment.php

Buy no means am I trying to put you down. I no how it feels to load up a trailer full and then go home and stack it, and think this is all I got. Still a very good haul of elm .
After reading it again did you mean 2 face cord?

Beefie

Nice loads guys!

We aughta start an Elm burner's secret society. I get a kick out of all the people that won't touch it cause it splits a bit hard sometimes. They're missing some dang good firewood, and godawful plentiful around here.

Nite everyone! Just got done watchin the CMA Awards on tivo after work.

Good score! I've cut a lot of elm and it is pretty heavy stuff. I just cut some yesterday for a friend of mine who is a Vietnam Vet. He got his hand in a table saw about 6 weeks ago and still can't use it much. He heats with wood and isn't anywhere near ready for winter. I dropped 4 standing dead elms in the 18-25" range and blocked them up for him. Only got about 25% of it split though. Will probably go back out and finish the job tomorrow. I always like to help a vet if i can.

Nice! Rep Sent

I think it is time to recalibrate the old eye ball vwboomer. A cord of elm weighs in at 5500lb+ when green. your trailer looks to be a 7000lb capacity
Beefie

It's always hard for me to judge before splitting. The trailer is reg'd at 8000. a bunch of the stuff on the front and back was dead standing so pretty light. It will get split and stacked today.
I almost called my cop buddy to get me on the scale just to see, but decided probly best I don't know. Rather to err on the side of caution. My 2002 F150 with the 5.4 is a real dog and struggles mightily.
I wish the axles on the trailer were more centered.

I wish the axles on the trailer were more centered.

yea first thing i thought when i saw that, was that must be A LOT of tongue weight! i see you have it more loaded towards the back half which is smart of course
what would be the purpose of the axles being so far back?

i resent your statement about the old 2 valve 5.4, i have the same motor in mine! for a 1/2 ton gasser, they make great lowend torque,better than the 5.3 chevies! :chainsaw:
i wouldnt try to pull 2 cords of green wood with it though! 2 green cords+trailer could easily be 10,000lbs! ,i could imagine what that toungue weight would do to the rear suspension lol, nothing like riding a wheelie down the road :D

Last edited:
Well the trailer was/is really a car hauler I got a good deal on.
My truck has 45k miles on it, owned since 20k miles in '05. It went from 17mpg hiway to 13.5. not towing anything. New fuel pump, filter, clean air filter etc. it just plain sucks!

I'm careful with loading it but it's tough to tell in the middle of a cornfield sometimes :)
Looks like I'll be slightly over a cord for the load. I pretty much lose money on everything thing I do!

yea first thing i thought when i saw that, was that must be A LOT of tongue weight! i see you have it more loaded towards the back half which is smart of course
what would be the purpose of the axles being so far back?

i resent your statement about the old 2 valve 5.4, i have the same motor in mine! for a 1/2 ton gasser, they make great lowend torque,better than the 5.3 chevies! :chainsaw:
i wouldnt try to pull 2 cords of green wood with it though! 2 green cords+trailer could easily be 10,000lbs! ,i could imagine what that toungue weight would do to the rear suspension lol, nothing like riding a wheelie down the road :D

Last summer I fell a Elm tree that was dying at my Mom's house, the wood has been drying since then.

She has burned some of it and it burns great...

you have some nice looking wood.
it will keep you and yours warm for sure!

Well the trailer was/is really a car hauler I got a good deal on.
My truck has 45k miles on it, owned since 20k miles in '05. It went from 17mpg hiway to 13.5. not towing anything. New fuel pump, filter, clean air filter etc. it just plain sucks!

I'm careful with loading it but it's tough to tell in the middle of a cornfield sometimes :)
Looks like I'll be slightly over a cord for the load. I pretty much lose money on everything thing I do!

they do get pretty ####ty mileage , but i can still usually average about 14mpg per tank, thats with towing around 5,000lbs half the time, and driving empty the other half of the time.
the few times ive been able to burn a whole tank without towing or hauling anything, ive gotton around 17mpg like youve said.
i just hit 56,000 miles last week, its totally stock other than a drop in k&n filter, its not an fx4 so it has the 3.55 rear, which only runs about 1800-1900rpm at 70mph, thats probably its saving grace as far as highway mileage empty it does pretty decent, i love the truck:clap:

Yep that's what I said, I helped out another farmer clean out his fence line of about 30 elm trees that were dead or dying. I have one more smaller load to go but this is my cut. We split the wood 50/50.
attachment.php

The truck ways in at 12540lb, and I no the truck empty is 6200-6400lb so there ya go. And for those safety people I only drove 30miles an hour the 1 mile I had to travel to get home. I think I even have a little bit of spring left in the pack:hmm3grin2orange:.

Beefie

P.s. Tried to take A pic of the read out on the scale but came out really blurry.

HTML:
Beefie dont put that toolbody on the PowerGoat,there is no telling what you might load on there.

Nice loads guys!

We aughta start an Elm burner's secret society. I get a kick out of all the people that won't touch it cause it splits a bit hard sometimes. They're missing some dang good firewood, and godawful plentiful around here.

Nite everyone! Just got done watchin the CMA Awards on tivo after work.
+1. No doubt in my mind that elm is the most underrated firewood available. Red elm, especially, is truly spectacular. Any mixture of elm and ash produces an ideal fuel wood combination.

I split six or seven red elm billets yesterday that had been drying for five months, each about 20" dia. The bark fell right off. No stringiness at all and each split perfectly. Most of the time for the first spllit, I just looked for the checkup and followed the longest one with the wedge. The heartwood almost looked blood red, which is likely why the tree is called a red elm. I'll wait another few months for it to dry and burn it in February.

'Tis a shame that Dutch Elm disease knocked out so many of them last century.

attachment.php

Beefie

Looks like you did some work there Beefie.How many cord did you get total?Two years ago I went over to a coworkers place 12 miles away to cut a couple pines for her and ended up with 4 cords of elm that were on a fence line.Took me 20 some odd loads with my little S-10.I let it sit a year before splitting it.Alot of bark came off when I split it.

HTML:
Beefie dont put that toolbody on the PowerGoat,there is no telling what you might load on there.
I really need a utility body/toolbody on this truck I had to put all my tools in the front seat and the rest behind the seats, I would have had no room if some one else had come along.
Looks like you did some work there Beefie.How many cord did you get total?Two years ago I went over to a coworkers place 12 miles away to cut a couple pines for her and ended up with 4 cords of elm that were on a fence line.Took me 20 some odd loads with my little S-10.I let it sit a year before splitting it.Alot of bark came off when I split it.

I think that load is around a cord, total for the year is 3 cord of elm . The last job I did , the farmer was so happy he recommended me to one of his Bud's that has 30+ elms to take down. only problem they are in a subdivisin in the guys back yard. I am going to look at the job today.

Beefie

Back