630 Jonsered help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyrooster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm rebuilding a jonsered 630 super and am going to bump it up from 48 to 50mm by installing a husky 266 jug (closed port). I want to woods port the jug and want to know if the saw will make more power with a 266,670 type piston or the 268 style of piston. thank you, Rick

Hey guys, I'm rebuilding a jonsered 630 super and am going to bump it up from 48 to 50mm by installing a husky 266 jug (closed port). I want to woods port the jug and want to know if the saw will make more power with a 266,670 type piston or the 268 style of piston. thank you, Rick

You won't notice much in the piston style, but use the 268 piston. You will need an intake and carb for the 266 jug. The 670 swap is the easiest, some of the 630's use the same intake, some don't, but the same carb will still work. The main difference is the husky has an intake internal pulse, where the Jonsered uses a hose. All of the mufflers will fit each other.

Last edited:
Full Circle vs. Non Full Circle

I think the question being asked is which piston has the most performance potential for a modded saw? The 266 style, (windowed - full circle) or the 268 style, (windowed). I wish I knew the answer, because I'm also working on a 670 Super, which has the 268 style, (non full circle).:popcorn:

Full circle pistons seem to build more heat, I prefer them open at the bottom of the windows. I haven't really noticed much difference between them though.

thanks guys for your posts. I am pleased to get some feedback. I have the 266 jug and carb setup already and was wondering where the best power was with the pistons. thanks again. Rick!

The full circle seems to be heavier as well and mass does come in to play at higher RPM's. The only benefit I can see would be if the full circle has a wider skirt, which would allow wider ports or if the window area is larger and therefore allows more transfer flow. :smoking:

The full circle seems to be heavier as well and mass does come in to play at higher RPM's. The only benefit I can see would be if the full circle has a wider skirt, which would allow wider ports or if the window area is larger and therefore allows more transfer flow. :smoking:

Transfer flow is the weak point on these saws, thats why I would go with the open piston on these.

Back