650 and 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't need any more sloppyness in my life...

I used to get the 58 gauge chain to run in the 50 gauge bar after the bar was worn and would accept the wider chain. I wouldn't try running 50 gauge chain in the 58 bar. I think it will tip to the side easier because of the slop, and you will be very unhappy. It will not cut right. Try tipping a worn chain from side to side, then try it with a new chain. If the new chain tips very far, you need a new bar. Just get as many 58 chains as you need until your 58 bar is worn out, then switch to all 50 if you want.

Uneven or burred up side rails especially near or on the tip throw the chain more.

Richard

Thanks for the heads up Quiterangr. If there is any one that will find a way to throw a chain more then the next guy it will be me. Do those bar rail closers really work?

You can get a 395 husky out of Bailey's for around the same price as a new 650.Then you have a saw that will outcut both.
I was looking at the 395 in the shop yesterday when I picked up a 7900. Someone had returned it after a couple days [did not like it] so it was a few hundreed off origional. Is it a hands down 660 beater?

Also, the local shop that I bought my 660 at sells 650's as much as 660's. I presume the folks do not know the facts on them. The demand for either is not nearly what the demand is for bigger huskies mind you.

Last edited:
when I picked up a 7900. Someone had returned it after a couple days [did not like it] so it was a few hundreed off origional. Is it a hands down 660 beater? ....

The 7900? - surely not! :bang: :bang: :ices_rofl:

....but a good and much lighter alternative, if you don't need all the power of the 660/395......

Last edited:
Oh well it was worth a shot.You would have got my new saw all dirty anyways.:laugh:

Last edited:
great info

thanks for the information guys; great stuff.
My last post was misleading concerning the 7900/ 395 / 660. I own a 660, I had just purchased the 7900, then I noticed a returned and discounted 395 so was wondering what the lowdown on that saw was. With a new 660 already I wont buy it for some time but I am considering the 3120 for heavy lifting.
CHeers

as thread is side ways now anyways

I have two older 3120's and kept them....Sold the 2000 model year 3120 because it was a mutt...

I still like my 084 better........

How difficult is it to roll back time on the new 3120, is it worth the effort?

I have found [in my experience] that stihls skip more then husky. I figured this to be due to the smaller chain guide diameter. I also should point out that this is an experience i have had well falling not bucking. I ran 288's with 28 and 066's with 28 as my bread and butter for years. Having said that i like a bit of droop in my chain; just at the point where the chain starts to hang out mid 28 inch bar. I figure i have less chain resistance and more power.

An example of my experiences is I found just the act of larger humbolt pie chunks from 3' dbh trees dropping out could knock my chain off a stihl but I never had that happen with a husky bar & chain. Not really a big deal as it only takes a few seconds to snap the chain back on with a quick bar bend.

If you have never skipped your chain much then your likely lucky to have not spent much time cutting slash alder and other underbrush. [most folks i know generally refer to this as F*k brush becouse thats all one is likely to say well working in it] Does not matter how tight your chain is for that wippy crap

I have less problems throwing the chain in underbrush using solid nose bars .
When using sprocket nose it seems to help keeping the slack out and a good sprocket at the bar tip. A wore sprocket at the bar tip is trash in under brush and small dead hardwood limbs close together.

wouldn't mind one more decent 084 myself for making it run on Kool-aid someday. :hmm3grin2orange:

Says something for the 7900 when people start trying to compare the 79cc saw to the 91cc and larger saws. But thats the reason I grab the 7900 over my 066, the 3lbs less, even though it dont have the power of the 66, it still gets the work done.

Back