660 cylinder port question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tex

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up an OEM cylinder to put my 660 back together with (thanks again Adam). I intend to just clean up casting marks, and polish the ports, keeping everything else stock. The bottom of the intake port has a "lip" on it that feels like its about ~.020" or so

Am I safe to file the "lip" smooth and re-bevel the bottom of that port without boogering any timing or anything? It seems that would greatly help with initiating flow.

From what I've read up in other threads, my understanding is that the bottom of the intake port is not as critical as the top?

Thanks!

Yes, you're fine to dress that off. However, there's no need to polish the intake port. IMHO, polishing the exhaust is just a feel good measure as well. You definitely want it smooth, but polishing is not needed.

You can file that lip off the intake port floor like Brad already said, but just so you know....you are changing the port timing. When you remove material from the floor of the intake port, you increase the intakes port timing. When you remove material from the roofs of the exhaust and transfer ports, you increase their port timings. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

By polishing, i was just going to get the casting marks cleaned up and smoothed out. I agree that a mirror finish is a bit overkill. As far as the timing, I understand that it will change a little. I just wanted to make sure that it was insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Anything on the Meteor piston to look at other than a basic clean up of casting marks?

Latest posts

Back