Hyway vs meteor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never tried the 660 kits
But the 2 hyway BB 372 with popup cylinder kits
Are the strongest non ported saws I have
Compression in the 180s
I have run one of them 3 year's
And no issue's.
Thanks, it's refreshing to see someone that actually have some real experience with it. It seems most people just "know" because they are a purist or a nationalist, or simply because all their friends are..
I have been thinkering about if I should invest in a Hyway big bore kit to my 365/372 kit project, but I already have a Farmertec BB cylinder and it would raize the total cost considerably. I guess the FT cylinder will work fine for me, but of course the devil in the back of my mind keeps telling me the Nikasil one is better.

Thanks, it's refreshing to see someone that actually have some real experience with it. It seems most people just "know" because they are a purist or a nationalist, or simply because all their friends are..
I have been thinkering about if I should invest in a Hyway big bore kit to my 365/372 kit project, but I already have a Farmertec BB cylinder and it would raize the total cost considerably. I guess the FT cylinder will work fine for me, but of course the devil in the back of my mind keeps telling me the Nikasil one is better.
I put a FT 52mm on my Blue 372xp, it does very well but I did some very simple port work to it. No machine work.

I think the best advice is to port map the oem cylinder and the aftermarket timing numbers and measure squish. Then try to adjust the numbers on the aftermarket to better match the oem if possible and clean up the casting flaws. Do not skimp on the rings, bearings or rubber pieces.

I think the best advice is to port map the oem cylinder and the aftermarket timing numbers and measure squish. Then try to adjust the numbers on the aftermarket to better match the oem if possible and clean up the casting flaws.
Agreed.

Most/almost all of my Stihls were made in Germany and have carbs without limters and choked up mufflers. No Chi-Com parts at all unless I can't find another source of spark plugs.
Easy for you to say that have 12,7 038's that was handed over to yah free to take parts from.

Meteor and Hiway cylinders are cast at the same plant in Taiwan. The difference is Hiway are plated there as well, where Meteors are plated in Italy. I haven’t seen much of a difference in them, but I don’t have much hands-on experience with them either. Mostly just pictures here and there
Stumbled upon this thread. As usual, very useful info, thx @huskihl ! I had no idea. Was trying to decide whether to buy a Meteor or a Hyway for my 044; I read that the Meteor is heavier and makes less compression than OEM, I guess it's exaclty the same for the Hyway, then? Also, the Meteor is actually a piston for the 044 with the 12mm wrist pin, with a 10mm wrist pin hole; the model with a 10mm wrist pin (which I have) has a narrower con rod, so there's room on both sides when a Meteor piston in installed. So, I guess this is also the case for the Hyway 10mm 044 piston? Does anyone know?

Stumbled upon this thread. As usual, very useful info, thx @huskihl ! I had no idea. Was trying to decide whether to buy a Meteor or a Hyway for my 044; I read that the Meteor is heavier and makes less compression than OEM, I guess it's exaclty the same for the Hyway, then? Also, the Meteor is actually a piston for the 044 with the 12mm wrist pin, with a 10mm wrist pin hole; the model with a 10mm wrist pin (which I have) has a narrower con rod, so there's room on both sides when a Meteor piston in installed. So, I guess this is also the case for the Hyway 10mm 044 piston? Does anyone know?
That info is possibly a bit dated. Don’t know if the where’s and how’s with meteor and Hiway cylinders is still current.

Both manufacturers pistons are cut wider for the 12mm rod. But I have a few 10mm ported 044’s out there still running on Meteor pistons. I’ve heard of and seen the potential problems, but there don’t appear to be any real world issues

Good to know!
I saw a video, think it was by Tinman, where it was said that the stock timing numbers on a 044 are already pretty good. Porting is out of my league and I'm probably gonna be happy with the saw as it is, once/if I get it running properly. So I'm only asking out of curiosity, but do you think it 'needs' to be ported/there's significant gains to be made?
I was thinking about maybe modding the muffler but I'm quite sure it will already satisfy me stock...

Good to know!
I saw a video, think it was by Tinman, where it was said that the stock timing numbers on a 044 are already pretty good. Porting is out of my league and I'm probably gonna be happy with the saw as it is, once/if I get it running properly. So I'm only asking out of curiosity, but do you think it 'needs' to be ported/there's significant gains to be made?
I was thinking about maybe modding the muffler but I'm quite sure it will already satisfy me stock...
Just a note, I’m not a purist type at all. If something works better, I’m all for it. Not a brand snob either. They all have their gems and they all have their turds.

You may be happy with it. No one else’s opinion matters, so there’s that.

They gain from porting like any other saw. 25-40% depending on where you want the power sprinkled about

I have an old Husky 350 EPA 2005 saw I just a put a flat top hyway piston in it. The OEM piston on my saw the top was dished. I can already tell just by just feel that there’s way more compression. Gonna fire it up tomorrow, got to late and no muffler yet. got the muffle and bolts, that’s the easy part. Plus I pulled the limiters off the carb. That saw is like an old friend. Never did this before, wish I would of. Had sand the cylinder because it got hot and had aluminum transfer from the old Piston. Looks
real good.

Mam starą piłę Husky 350 EPA 2005, po prostu włożyłem do niej płaski tłok hyway. Tłok OEM na mojej piły był wypukły. Już po samym wyczuciu mogę stwierdzić, że kompresja jest znacznie większa. Jutro odpalę, jest już późno i jeszcze nie mam tłumika. Mam tłumik i śruby, to łatwa część. Dodatkowo zdjąłem ograniczniki z węglowodanów. Ta piła jest jak stary przyjaciel. Nigdy wcześniej tego nie robiłem, chciałbym. Musiałem przeszlifować cylinder, ponieważ zrobił się gorący i miał przeniesienie aluminium ze starego tłoka. wygląda
naprawde dobrze.
Cześć. i jak to działa??

Just a note, I’m not a purist type at all. If something works better, I’m all for it. Not a brand snob either. They all have their gems and they all have their turds.

You may be happy with it. No one else’s opinion matters, so there’s that.

They gain from porting like any other saw. 25-40% depending on where you want the power sprinkled about
Well put Kevin

Meteor and Hiway cylinders are cast at the same plant in Taiwan. The difference is Hiway are plated there as well, where Meteors are plated in Italy. I haven’t seen much of a difference in them, but I don’t have much hands-on experience with them either. Mostly just pictures here and there
I was having my guy rebuild my ms261. I gave him a meteor top end kit. The holes did not match up on the manifold. I returned it and got a hyway which matched up and good to go.

I was having my guy rebuild my ms261. I gave him a meteor top end kit. The holes did not match up on the manifold. I returned it and got a hyway which matched up and good to go.
There are different eras of a 261. You likely just gave him the incorrect meteor cylinder the correct Hyway cylinder. The main issue with them is the flaking plating. Hopefully yours is trouble free

Latest posts

Back