Hyway vs meteor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This (imo) is the kind of thing to read, not someone puffing out their chest and claiming "Why are you working on a chinesium machine to begin with?" type of rubbish...
Agree 100% with this. Even if I had an oem machine with a popped top end, I would be looking at AM parts. Not completely because they are cheaper than oem, but because I wouldn't be as afraid of wasting money on trying things and learning. I wouldn't be looking at a $40 kit, but definitely not oem or top of the barrel in cost. There has to be a nice middle ground that could use some minor tweaking, to make it better. And I would rather do that with lower cost, again not bottom of the barrel, parts to learn and try things on.

Purists drive me nuts and I would have stated as such at the beginning, but didn't want to be rude right at the start. I am here to learn and gain intel. Learning from those that have already ventured and done things, is how we all grow and improve ourselves. I was raised that if you don't have something nice or constructive to say, you don't say anything at all. That is just me and how I was raised. The purists statement doesn't go for just saws. This goes for everything and anything that I am into. I work on basically anything with an engine or is a mechanical device. Have since I was very young.

If questions aren't asked, regardless of what the base item or situation is, then the pertaining intellect dies with those that have it. Even if it is something so simple and minute.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have a pop up piston and cylinder kit in my 034 super , it does very well and will run a 25" bar no problem.
Ive used it on and off for a year and have no complaints.
Old farmer tech cylinders( K$ cast into them) have a good quality to them but I'm not sure who is manufacturing them now.

Agree 100% with this. Even if I had an oem machine with a popped top end, I would be looking at AM parts. Not completely because they are cheaper than oem, but because I wouldn't be as afraid of wasting money on trying things and learning. I wouldn't be looking at a $40 kit, but definitely not oem or top of the barrel in cost. There has to be a nice middle ground that could use some minor tweaking, to make it better. And I would rather do that with lower cost, again not bottom of the barrel, parts to learn and try things on.

Purists drive me nuts and I would have stated as such at the beginning, but didn't want to be rude right at the start. I am here to learn and gain intel. Learning from those that have already ventured and done things, is how we all grow and improve ourselves. I was raised that if you don't have something nice or constructive to say, you don't say anything at all. That is just me and how I was raised. The purists statement doesn't go for just saws. This goes for everything and anything that I am into. I work on basically anything with an engine or is a mechanical device. Have since I was very young.

If questions aren't asked, regardless of what the base item or situation is, then the pertaining intellect dies with those that have it. Even if it is something so simple and minute.

Some of them are purists, sure. But probably 75% of them have had poor experiences using Chinese parts and they’re trying to pass on the knowledge to help those who might be thinking about using them.

I have a pop up piston and cylinder kit in my 034 super , it does very well and will run a 25" bar no problem.
Ive used it on and off for a year and have no complaints.
Old farmer tech cylinders( K$ cast into them) have a good quality to them but I'm not sure who is manufacturing them now.
I have had some Farmertec issues one was a badly formed piston skirt. Shouldn't have gotten past QC so thats when I primarily went to Meteor or Hyway pistons. Every now and then on a cheap homeowner saw I'll buy a Farmertec kit but I really check it over good. I do a bit of service for a grading company on their saws been doing Hyway on their rebuilds they seem happy with them. Just did a Hyway pop up on a ms200t (mine) and it's looking pretty good on compression, maybe even a little high but I did a base gasket delete at the same time.

Some of them are purists, sure. But probably 75% of them have had poor experiences using Chinese parts and they’re trying to pass on the knowledge to help those who might be thinking about using them.
I get that. I to have had bad experiences with Chinese parts. Rebuilt my 029 super with a farmertec ms390 p&c. Everything felt good during assembly. Once it got running, it had equal or less power than my saw had before. That was also before I knew a lot about checking squish, of which I couldn't have really adjusted with it being a clam shell saw. It was my first build/rebuild and I was also on a very tight income. That saw has since been rebuilt again with a cross cylinder and a hyway pop-up piston, still as an MS390. It also got good AM ms460 carb put on it, which helped it out too. That saw is a different machine, between the p&c I used(it was heavily muffler modded before the first rebuild).

I have already learned a lot by what I have done. But insulting or bullying someone for using something, that they wouldn't use, is counter productive and useless. There was absolutely no useful info by asking why I was working on a chineseium machine.

I get that. I to have had bad experiences with Chinese parts. Rebuilt my 029 super with a farmertec ms390 p&c. Everything felt good during assembly. Once it got running, it had equal or less power than my saw had before. That was also before I knew a lot about checking squish, of which I couldn't have really adjusted with it being a clam shell saw. It was my first build/rebuild and I was also on a very tight income. That saw has since been rebuilt again with a cross cylinder and a hyway pop-up piston, still as an MS390. It also got good AM ms460 carb put on it, which helped it out too. That saw is a different machine, between the p&c I used(it was heavily muffler modded before the first rebuild).

I have already learned a lot by what I have done. But insulting or bullying someone for using something, that they wouldn't use, is counter productive and useless. There was absolutely no useful info by asking why I was working on a chineseium machine.

I get it.. Everyone is an expert on this side of the keyboard. I try to relay what I've seen. I probably do 10-12 piston/cylinder rebuilds every year. There are probably people here that do that in a month. On the other hand some have never done it. I had a guy telling me there were ton's of aftermarket 271/291 cylinders. I asked him for a link to it, he sheepishly came back with a aftermarket piston and admitted "he might have been wrong". I guess my point is I have received plenty of help from forums like this and Facebook forums. It's the internet you have to ignore the bad but it doesn't hurt to verify. I'll do what ever I want to my saws if I have a customer I'll explain the cost's and differences and let them make the decision on aftermarket parts or not. Often it's aftermarket parts.

Exactly.
I'm far from a "purist", but more a patriot.
I've seen so many problems with cheap Chinese junk, and I have no interest in supporting the CCP.
So you make statements that are just as opinionated/bullying yourself lol.
Why not place an ad for a cheap cylinder in the trading post instead of using the Chinese crap like you posted in your first picture and supporting the CCP. As far as cost go, I have principles that are more important than cost, and because of that there are many things I just choose not to do. That being said, you already have the cylinder, so just start grinding and fix what's there, realizing it may not give the results wanted.
The great thing is you get to do you, if you feel insulted or bullied just ignore the person, it's really not that hard ;).
Good luck on your project.

Exactly.
I'm far from a "purist", but more a patriot.
I've seen so many problems with cheap Chinese junk, and I have no interest in supporting the CCP.

So you make statements that are just as opinionated/bullying yourself lol.
Why not place an ad for a cheap cylinder in the trading post instead of using the Chinese crap like you posted in your first picture and supporting the CCP. As far as cost go, I have principles that are more important than cost, and because of that there are many things I just choose not to do. That being said, you already have the cylinder, so just start grinding and fix what's there, realizing it may not give the results wanted.
The great thing is you get to do you, if you feel insulted or bullied just ignore the person, it's really not that hard ;).
Good luck on your project.
Yes, you do make a very valid point and I should have kept my thoughts to myself. Just got under my skin enough, that my stubbornness kicked in. That is one of my downfalls and I apologize for it.

Do I prefer to support and purchase US/local items, hell yes. But for learning and trying things on, I have learned that I don't want to drop that kind of coin. I also would rather not destroy a perfectly good used oem, for learning on. Your suggestion of learning on the cylinder I have, is a very good suggestion. At this point I want a good cylinder that will take well to the pop-up piston and caber rings that I am going to put in. Have experienced and seen others experience with using caber rings in the ft cylinders, or atleast the earlier cylinders, as mine is. My experience with using caber rings has be so positive, that I will rarely use anything else.

Again, I am here to learn from others and appreciate constructive advice and criticism. I shouldn't have used the term bullying, as it wasn't. So I again, apologize for being an a$$, I was out of line. From this point on, I will keep it civil and ask that others do too. Thanks for calling me out @chipper1. Sometimes I do need to be reeled back in and you did that.

Yes, you do make a very valid point and I should have kept my thoughts to myself. Just got under my skin enough, that my stubbornness kicked in. That is one of my downfalls and I apologize for it.

Do I prefer to support and purchase US/local items, hell yes. But for learning and trying things on, I have learned that I don't want to drop that kind of coin. I also would rather not destroy a perfectly good used oem, for learning on. Your suggestion of learning on the cylinder I have, is a very good suggestion. At this point I want a good cylinder that will take well to the pop-up piston and caber rings that I am going to put in. Have experienced and seen others experience with using caber rings in the ft cylinders, or atleast the earlier cylinders, as mine is. My experience with using caber rings has be so positive, that I will rarely use anything else.

Again, I am here to learn from others and appreciate constructive advice and criticism. I shouldn't have used the term bullying, as it wasn't. So I again, apologize for being an a$$, I was out of line. From this point on, I will keep it civil and ask that others do too. Thanks for calling me out @chipper1. Sometimes I do need to be reeled back in and you did that.

Your thoughts don't bother me, and I'm sure they don't bother most others; it's called a forum, that's what happens on them, we "speak" our thoughts. He shared his thoughts after you shared yours, then you did likewise, it was a free flow of info and it's your thread so I say go for it. Many times I make a quick post just for clarifications sake and people get offended, meanwhile I'm just trying to gather info so as to give better advice, oh well.
There are plenty of guys who have already bought the chini cylinders, had problems with them, and have chosen not to install another on their or a customers saw. Placing an ad in the trading post asking to buy a cylinder and explaining what you hope to accomplish with is a great way to find those guys, get what you need, and for them to dump what they no longer want and all the while avoiding buying from the CCP since it's already here. There are many great guys here who have moved on from them and I don't doubt they would send you one for the cost of shipping.
I've had great results with all the meteor and caber products I've used, poor results with other aftermarket parts(speaking purely about cylinder kits), but I know people who have had problems with meteor and even oem, just nowhere near as many.
I accept the apology as you obviously feel it was needed, I couldn't have cared less, you'll need to try a lot harder to offend me and if you do I'll let you know lol. I just think you were a bit sensitive for a forum where a large percentage of the guys are a bit rough around the collar(me included) ;). I don't personally know the guy who made the chinesium comment, but it didn't sound far off from a comment I could or have already made. But even so I'm very willing to help anyone, regardless of if they think I'm a jerk based on one post :laugh:.

With several suggestions to just work over the cylinder that I have, what does everyone use for grinding on cylinders?? All I have is a dremel with the flex sheft and a right angle attachment. They seem a little bulky for grinding on cylinders, just my opinion. I could be wrong on that, since I obviously haven't done any grinding on cylinders.

Wow - only 2 hours use and it needs replacing! I've used saws pretty hard for 45 years and never had to remove more than plug, clutch, etc. But then I've only used Stihl & Husqvarna, so the result is that I'm totally ignorant about the real innards of these things. I do find the threads on them fascinating though.
Just remembered - there was one time. Aged about 17 and using my father's prized Husqvarna whilst he was away, I refuelled with neat gas... Soon as it seized up I realised what I'd done. :oops: In a panic I got stuck in, pulled the cylinder off somehow, sanded it, stuck it back on and that saw went fine for many years. Never told my dad. Sorry - well off topic.

With several suggestions to just work over the cylinder that I have, what does everyone use for grinding on cylinders?? All I have is a dremel with the flex sheft and a right angle attachment. They seem a little bulky for grinding on cylinders, just my opinion. I could be wrong on that, since I obviously haven't done any grinding on cylinders.

If you mean grinding as in port work I use a dremel with a flex shaft and carbide bit. There are better options a lot of guys use grinders with foot controls (for speed) on a flex shaft. For just cleaning/honing a cylinder i use a drill with a scotch brite pad on a shaft.

The cylinder itself is just fine and doesn't actually need replaced, per say. There isn't any scoring in the cylinder. I wanted to play alittle and put a pop-up piston with caber rings in. Originally figured I would get a better AM cylinder since I am wanting to put caber rings in. But with the suggestions to work over my cylinder, I may try it. It is the beveling on the ports that need worked over at the least. So yes, I would be grinding on it. The dremel stuff I have (flex shaft and right angle head) is roughly 20yrs old and seem like they would be to bulky for getting to the work. I very well could be wrong, since I haven't tried it yet.

The cylinder itself is just fine and doesn't actually need replaced, per say. There isn't any scoring in the cylinder. I wanted to play alittle and put a pop-up piston with caber rings in. Originally figured I would get a better AM cylinder since I am wanting to put caber rings in. But with the suggestions to work over my cylinder, I may try it. It is the beveling on the ports that need worked over at the least. So yes, I would be grinding on it. The dremel stuff I have (flex shaft and right angle head) is roughly 20yrs old and seem like they would be to bulky for getting to the work. I very well could be wrong, since I haven't tried it yet.

Do your research on port work. Too much here or there and you catch a ring then the cylinder gets destroyed. If i'm cleaning up an exhaust I mainly stay away from the cylinder wall and just enlarge/cleanup the port itself.

Do your research on port work. Too much here or there and you catch a ring then the cylinder gets destroyed. If i'm cleaning up an exhaust I mainly stay away from the cylinder wall and just enlarge/cleanup the port itself.
I won't be looking at changing any timing. Just more cleaning up edges and getting them chamfered. You can see the condition of the cylinder and the ports I am referring to, in my pictures I posted at the beginning. Definitely not gonna be making it a ported cylinder at this time.

Wow - only 2 hours use and it needs replacing! I've used saws pretty hard for 45 years and never had to remove more than plug, clutch, etc. But then I've only used Stihl & Husqvarna, so the result is that I'm totally ignorant about the real innards of these things. I do find the threads on them fascinating though.
Just remembered - there was one time. Aged about 17 and using my father's prized Husqvarna whilst he was away, I refuelled with neat gas... Soon as it seized up I realised what I'd done. :oops: In a panic I got stuck in, pulled the cylinder off somehow, sanded it, stuck it back on and that saw went fine for many years. Never told my dad. Sorry - well off topic.
Great story, thanks for sharing. Brings back memories. Probably every boy who has had the “joy” of doing yard work has a similar experience 🤠

A few pics of the Titanikel kit...

Attachments

• thumbnail_20211018_125015.jpg
    thumbnail_20211018_125015.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 15
  • thumbnail_20211018_125024.jpg
    thumbnail_20211018_125024.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail_20211018_125056.jpg
    thumbnail_20211018_125056.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail_20211018_125059.jpg