660 in big oak before and after DP muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I wish I could discern a good 4-stroke as well as you fellas can.

My 660 is my only saw that I can clearly hear it 4-stroking well. I set all my saws with a tach lower than the factory specs so I'm not worried they are to lean. I guess I'm just not exsperienced enough yet.

way i tune ,i drop the bar into that log ,and during the cut richen the h till it runs the strongest under load ,go a little richer till 4 strokes then back off till cleans up ,the long bar tune out here ,pull the muffler cover and there should be some oil residue in there if tuned right ,if real dry you are still too lean ,are you at 32 to 1 on the oil ?

saw does sound a lot happier with the dual port

Don't use a tac just richen the h needle listen for the saw to blubber. Listen to this saw here. You'll here a distinct change in the tone when under load

If a fella cant distinguish the 4 stroke sound on that saw in the video then there is no hope for him ever being able to! I still say that is the best sounding saw I have ever heard. I have listened to that video a hundred times I bet.

If a fella cant distinguish the 4 stroke sound on that saw in the video then there is no hope for him ever being able to! I still say that is the best sounding saw I have ever heard. I have listened to that video a hundred times I bet.

Sounds better in person.:rock:

I thought it was barely 4 stroking out out of the cut on the 25".
Here's how a similar sized saw sounds with what I consider to be a pretty rich tune

Nice video i agree she is a little lean Nice saw i have one to love 90ccs

The tune on the 18 is better. You'll need to adjust the tune for longer bars as more load is added tge saw uses more fuel.
Moody, the carb knows absolutely nothing about load. All that happens is that the increased load drops the rpm and air velocity through the carb, so it gets leaner.

Moody, the carb knows absolutely nothing about load. All that happens is that the increased load drops the rpm and air velocity through the carb, so it gets leaner.

That's why I said that he needs to richen it up. I dont recall saying that the carb knew anything about the load

On MOODY'S vid I can clearly here the 4 stroke before it goes in the wood but after he sinks it in the log I can't really tell. I had my biannual physical for my CDL about 3 weeks ago and my hearing isn't doing so well. Don't know if that's a valid excuse. My doc is recommending more advanced testing and the likelihood of a hearing aid. Nonetheless, I can clearly here it out of the cut, so it must be more discernible before the load is put on it?

On MOODY'S vid I can clearly here the 4 stroke before it goes in the wood but after he sinks it in the log I can't really tell. I had my biannual physical for my CDL about 3 weeks ago and my hearing isn't doing so well. Don't know if that's a valid excuse. My doc is recommending more advanced testing and the likelihood of a hearing aid. Nonetheless, I can clearly here it out of the cut, so it must be more discernible before the load is put on it?
Properly tuned it does not misfire while under max load. It's when you lift that the rpms go up, the air velocity through the carb increases and the mixture gets rich enough to misfire. So you should not be hearing it under load.

Latest posts

Back