660 w/8 pin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 8 pin with my 20 runs good. Ran it with a 30 inch and 8 pin ran that nice to.

I'm also considering an 8-pin for my 660. Will the rpms increase with an 8-pin? I have a 28" bar.

I'm also considering an 8-pin for my 660. Will the rpms increase with an 8-pin? I have a 28" bar.
Engine rpms or chain rpms?

It's like switching to a higher gear on a 10speed bike. You'll essentially move the chain faster, but with a heavy load, you'll start to bog.

Engine rpms? The last time I checked my engine rpms it was 12880. So chain speed will increase not engine rpms? So with the 8 pin I might cut a little faster?

In the cut the engine rpms may fall slightly if the load is heavy.

Out of the cut, how would a sprocket change the way your engine runs?

I was thinking the 8 pin would act like an overdrive...higher gear...faster speed (chain speed..not sure about engine speed). But I guess there's a downside to it....may bog down in larger stuff and maybe not designed for the longer bars.

You're on the right path now. For bars 25" and under, I like the 8t. For anything bigger, I go back to 7t.

On a Mastermind 660 I accidentally tried a 36" with 8 pin on rock hard gum(forgot to change to 7pin) it wasn't happy and kept jamming(new Stihl semi 3/8 ) in the felling cut, it was breaking in still but wasn't happy. Put the 7 on and it cut happily for the day. Had it been softwood it probably would have been fine

Back