660 won't stay running after a good warm up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homervirden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New 660 build, starts and runs for about a 3rd of a tank then the idle gets lower until it finally won't idle at all. Eventually you can't even keep it running by giving it gas. It also has an oem stihl carb. The spark seems weak, more white then blue, that is all I can see that might be an issue. Gonna change coil next. I don't have a vacum/pressure set up yet but looking to get one soon. Any thoughts? I come back 15 minutes after the saw acts up and it runs good but repeats the issue again after warming up. I had been refueling on the cool down, gonna see if she starts on a half tank today. The p/u tube is always submerged anyways.

I’m going with tank vent. Coils usually don’t slowly die, then come back to life.

Doesn't appear to be the vent. I sawed for 5 to 10 minutes, lost idle again. Sat it down, opened fuel lid and would not start afterwards. Got to the plug and it still had fire. Put another plug in and she fires right up and idles fine.

my new built farmer-tec 660 build did the same thing .I thought it was maybe the cheep carb so I ordered a tollotson hs-320a carb off ebay ($50?) I get the carb in the mail and go to install and notice the impulse line is only 1/4 of the way on the barb at the carb (impulse line was made too short in china). I got a factory stihl impulse from my dealer and all in good to go now .

Got a vacum/pressure gauge and found that the bearing and oil pump holes leaking air on the pto side. Strange it wasn't the seal leaking and maybe this is the cause of the original scored piston issue.

New 660 build, starts and runs for about a 3rd of a tank then the idle gets lower until it finally won't idle at all. Eventually you can't even keep it running by giving it gas. It also has an oem stihl carb. The spark seems weak, more white then blue, that is all I can see that might be an issue. Gonna change coil next. I don't have a vacum/pressure set up yet but looking to get one soon. Any thoughts? I come back 15 minutes after the saw acts up and it runs good but repeats the issue again after warming up. I had been refueling on the cool down, gonna see if she starts on a half tank today. The p/u tube is always submerged anyways.
, ignition coils when they act up will be very quick almost like flipping a switch off that start with Check the tank vent,

Back