68cc late '70's vs. 2011

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketnorton

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
no stopwatches here, just seat o the pants comparo... poulan 4200 vs husky 570. was wantin to run 'em side by side since getting 4200 a few days ago. real close... both have 3/8 full chisel, husky full comp, poulan, semi skip. will maybe try switchin them up... too close to call, but i'd give the nod to poulan, just cause I could lean on it a little more - maybe the diff in chain - or its lower rpm grunt... anyway, was nice,View attachment 313459View attachment 313460View attachment 313461 not too warm day so why not? :cheers:

ya, but that is sorta cheating, running a real american made pro saw against one of those cheap plastic foreign imports....

Lookin' good Pete. Glad to see you're enjoying the saw you've been wanting for decades (and that it's living up to the memories). PM me if you're still interested in the bar trade.

Seems like every time Stihl or Husky comes out with a new model it's the best things since sliced bread, yet the good old saws cut just as fast. If there's any difference it's not much. Steve

I never ran a 4200, but have had a couple 5200's. They are bad news bears... seeing is believing for sure. I am sure they have hurt a lot of pride over the years, from unsuspecting German and Swede saw owners.

Very nice 4200.

All of that series saw (4200, 4400, 4900, 5200) were/are strong runners. Not as fast (chain speed) as the more modern offerings, but lots of torque. You can always run an 8 pin rim/sprocket if want a bit more speed, but I've left my 4900 alone....and it wants for nothing.

I've had several folks sneer at my Poulans over the years, (some even make unflattering comments), but that all comes to a halt when the cutting starts. ;)

Yes, there are lighter saws these days, some will even outperform the vintage saws, but the older saws richly deserve some respect. Lets see how many of the newer saws are still running strong 30+ years from now.

Great score, enjoy your 4200!

Very nice 4200.

All of that series saw (4200, 4400, 4900, 5200) were/are strong runners. Not as fast (chain speed) as the more modern offerings, but lots of torque. You can always run an 8 pin rim/sprocket if want a bit more speed, but I've left my 4900 alone....and it wants for nothing.

I've had several folks sneer at my Poulans over the years, (some even make unflattering comments), but that all comes to a halt when the cutting starts.

Yes, there are lighter saws these days, some will even outperform the vintage saws, but the older saws richly deserve some respect. Lets see how many of the newer saws are still running strong 30+ years from now.

Great score, enjoy your 4200!

I had the same response to that 4000 you now have. I get the feeling the same could be said about the SP81E I just got. Pulls pretty good for a 36 year old saw.

Back