Poulan 4200/5200 vs Stihl 441C M-tronic (Will race them 7/19/14)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's that weird Bobcat thing in the background behind Bailey?

That is a Toolcat 5610. Very cool machine. Not super heavy duty but very versatile. It has served me well. 2 seater so you can use is like a utv. Takes skidsteer attachments up front has 25+gpm hydraulics at 3000 psi on the front. 25hp hydraulic pto on back. 3 point hitch on back. Lifts about 2000 lbs, goes 18 mph. Has A/C and radio, windshield wiper, horn, blinkers, alll wheel steer or 2 wheel steer. Full time 4wd, but no locking differentials which is my only real complaint is that it is too easy to get stuck, but I've only been stuck 4 times and the jeep with winch came to the rescue each time. :)

If you haven't seen them, check them out on the bobcat website. Some call them toys, but they can get the job done too. I've been pleasantly surprised by its durabiility and reiliability. Had it for 3 years and have 500 ish hours on it.

Forget the saws, race to the mill to get some new white oak deck boards for that trailer. It'd be a shame to loose that sweet tool cat over another "what is faster?" thread.

Forget the saws, race to the mill to get some new white oak deck boards for that trailer. It'd be a shame to loose that sweet tool cat over another "what is faster?" thread.

Lol. I've never hauled anything on that trailer but it had 2 10k axles and a solid frame with folding ramps. I couldn't turn it down for $750. I'll get her decked before hauling anything. :)

Mike, both my 044 and 460 have dual port covers. The 044 has 10mm porting and the 460 is stout. I got rid of my dual port round top 066 as the 460 was every bit as good with a 28" bar. I felt the 066 was a bit weak with a 36" so I got a 395 and am much, much happier with it. To answer your question though. I was surprised how much more saw the 460 was over the two 044's I have. There is no comparison. I kept the 044's with 20" bars for firewood but mostly use the 460, especially for falling.

The Mac's have old school torque but a lot less speed. I figured it was a fair comparison.

From what I have seen, an 850 Mac has a bit on the 800. Probably due to porting and muffler.

Thanks for your response. When I picked up my 046, that was kind of what I was expecting. However my 044 (a 10mm w/dual port and HD-2) will cut just as strong as my 046 (w/same mods). I compared my 046 to another, and to a 460 (w/dual port & HD-2) and they are all about the same. I'm not sure if my 046 is a little anemic or if my 044 is just strong, but it is interesting how we have different results with the same saws. I think my 044 is on the strong side, as I get a lot of positive feedback from other people who run it at GTGs. I have run some extremely strong ported 066s at GTGs, but IMHO, they are just a little too heavy.

Did not mean to sidetrack the thread, but appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to your results. Old vs new is always interesting.

Thanks.

Thanks for your response. When I picked up my 046, that was kind of what I was expecting. However my 044 (a 10mm w/dual port and HD-2) will cut just as strong as my 046 (w/same mods). I compared my 046 to another, and to a 460 (w/dual port & HD-2) and they are all about the same. I'm not sure if my 046 is a little anemic or if my 044 is just strong, but it is interesting how we have different results with the same saws. I think my 044 is on the strong side, as I get a lot of positive feedback from other people who run it at GTGs. I have run some extremely strong ported 066s at GTGs, but IMHO, they are just a little too heavy.

Did not mean to sidetrack the thread, but appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to your results. Old vs new is always interesting.

Thanks.

LOL. Not really possible to sidetrack this thread, this is all for grins and giggles anyway, as I can't really imagine a more pointless comparison ;) Regardless of which one is faster, I will continue to use them both.

Unofficial times are Stihl 441c - 38 second (2 cut average).
Poulan 4200 39 second (2 cut average).

Videos were taken and will get them posted up as soon as my dad emails them to me. He did the filming. He said the 4200 has my heart, but the Stihl has my money.. (if he were betting on the race)

I haven't timed them all yet, but really close.

Probably need to redo the test with brand new chain on both saws. The Poulan had brand new chain due to the chain that was on it being pretty beat up. Think I'd hit some nails or other metal with it. Stihl chain was not brand new, but in great shape and freshly sharpened (it's second sharpening). So that is a variable. I can let the Poulan sit a while with the fresh chain and when I put new chain on the Stihl, repeat the test. Was fun. First timed cuts I have done. Hope this brought some level of entertainment.

There you go. I cut those cookies thick thinking i can cut them into useable firewood.... probably won't but maybe.

Latest posts

Back