another "what saw to get" post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSprk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so I found this site doing what many do, go crazy doing comparisons on saws to buy. I hope this won't turn into anything crazy.

I have a old house where the only source of heat is a wood stove. I work for the DOT and have access to trees or large limbs we take down. usually eucalyptus, oak and pine.

since I'm on landscape and not the dedicated tree crew we don't get the best equipment. we have Stihl 271s (20") and Husqvarna 450 ranchers (20")

I feel they do OK with bucking up bigger limbs around 16-18" up to 25" across but definitely could be more powerful. we did have some 550xp mk1 but had issues with hot starts.

I'd like to buy my own saw because my boss won't let me take our saws out when we leave big limbs out on the side of the road. plus I do have some other people who can get me wood to cut up.

I try to live by a moto of buy once, cry once. that has since snowballed. I've searched craigslist and Facebook marketplace looking for a used saw. most look pretty beat up and the prices are high. I like our Stihl saws more and there are some differences i like vs husky.

I've narrowed it down to two new Stihl saws. a 261 and a 362. another issue is the back and forth of m-tronic. these seem way more reliable than the huskys we had previously. I actually have the option of getting a standard carb model from local shops.

ms261 and CM both $679 (20" bars)

ms362 and CM. $879 (25")
also found a standard carb w/ full wrap handle $889

it seems like the m-tronic is the way to go now. but I can't help but like that I have the option to keep a standard carb. that and I'm debating buying the bigger 362 so I won't have to buy another saw again. the price is more than I wanted to spend all around but I don't want to beat a $300 saw up in a few years. the bigger engine seems like it would last longer without being tach'd out like the smaller one.

please help me stop my insanity haha

so do you know why they sell them with the 20" bar so often (what all the saw shops keep in stock) yet people seem to say run smaller bar for every model. like the 362 being offered mostly with the 25" bar

so do you know why they sell them with the 20" bar so often (what all the saw shops keep in stock) yet people seem to say run smaller bar for every model. like the 362 being offered mostly with the 25" bar
I actually prefer a bar on the longer side of the spectrum for any given saw...better reach that way. As long as you aren't burying the entire bar into a hardwood log, a 261 won't have an issue pulling a 20" bar...I actually put on 3/8 20" bars on the 261s at work. The 362s are running 25" bars. I'm running 3/8 20" of full comp chisel on my personal mk1 550xp, but I ported/machined that saw for a lot more power.

The bar choice seems to be somewhat dealer dependent. I've seen some dealers that pre-install 18" .325 setups on the 261, my local dealer has the powerheads only on the shelf and lets you choose what b/c combo you want.

As far as which saw to get...I'd consider the 362 a more all around saw, or maybe more of the "Swiss Army Knife" choice. You can buck logs with it, you can limb with it, lots of other things...it's not the best choice for any one task, but is versatile. If you're just cutting small stuff, or you plan on getting a larger saw at a later time, the 261 would probably be the best choice.

I'm a fan of M-tronic...I own and have run many m-tronic saws, other than a couple of really early versions, they've all been bomb-proof. I actually had the opportunity to get adjustable carb 261s at work, but went with the m-tronic versions. I know how to adjust carbs, but I don't trust everyone I work with to not seize a saw.

that's good info thank you. I won't be climbing trees or really limbing up anything. we drop trees and chip everything unless I decide to keep the wood. so I'd be bucking it up to bring back to the yard for later to take home.

I like the idea of the m-tronic and I plan on buying oil to double the warranty. I see the 362 is 2lbs heavier than the 261 but Id rather have more power

so I found this site doing what many do, go crazy doing comparisons on saws to buy. I hope this won't turn into anything crazy.

I have a old house where the only source of heat is a wood stove. I work for the DOT and have access to trees or large limbs we take down. usually eucalyptus, oak and pine.

since I'm on landscape and not the dedicated tree crew we don't get the best equipment. we have Stihl 271s (20") and Husqvarna 450 ranchers (20")

I feel they do OK with bucking up bigger limbs around 16-18" up to 25" across but definitely could be more powerful. we did have some 550xp mk1 but had issues with hot starts.

I'd like to buy my own saw because my boss won't let me take our saws out when we leave big limbs out on the side of the road. plus I do have some other people who can get me wood to cut up.

I try to live by a moto of buy once, cry once. that has since snowballed. I've searched craigslist and Facebook marketplace looking for a used saw. most look pretty beat up and the prices are high. I like our Stihl saws more and there are some differences i like vs husky.

I've narrowed it down to two new Stihl saws. a 261 and a 362. another issue is the back and forth of m-tronic. these seem way more reliable than the huskys we had previously. I actually have the option of getting a standard carb model from local shops.

ms362 and CM. $879 (25")

it seems like the m-tronic is the way to go now. but I can't help but like that I have the option to keep a standard carb. that and I'm debating buying the bigger 362 so I won't have to buy another saw again. the price is more than I wanted to spend all around but I don't want to beat a $300 saw up in a few years. the bigger engine seems like it would last longer without being tach'd out like the smaller one.

I have only run 60 cc saws for 40+ years, 2 360 Homelites and 2 Stihl 036 Pro's. Think about a good used 361 if you can find one. Best saw I have ever run.

ms362 and CM. $879 (25")

If your considering a 362 I’d take a hard look at the 400 if it’s available in your area.

If you're getting only one saw, and your mainly bucking firewood with it, get the MS362. Better yet, find an MS361 and buy it instead. If you are open to the idea of having a 2nd saw later, then get the 261 now and keep your eyes open for a good deal on an MS460/461/462 down the road. The 261 is a light weight and very capable saw all by itself. The 361 is a definite step up and will be a noticeably faster bucking saw with a minimal increase in weight, but that increase in weight makes it more cumbersome/tiresome for limbing. Once you have the 261 and decide you want something faster, moving up to a mid 70cc saw will allow you to buck your firewood faster and with a longer bar that doesn't require you to bend over as much.

As far as Mtronic goes, I prefer carbs. I've spent the last 25 years working with various pieces of automated equipment in the manufacturing sector. Programing them, setting them up, repairing them, buying them, designing them, and teaching others to do the same. I'm personally opposed to the idea of letting a computer make decisions for me if I have the option to make the decision myself. I consider it to be lazy and I see it as a sign of weakness. It encourages people not to think, not to fully understand the tools and equipment that they are working with. I realize that I sacrifice efficiency, and I'm okay with that. I can certainly make arguments for going with an Mtronic saw for a business where you might be forced to hire monkeys to work for you and the loss in efficiency means a loss in profit. If a home owner is going to purchase a "commercial" grade power tool, he/she should be fully versed in how small engines operate and fully capable of making adjustments and repairs to them. Otherwise go buy the cheapest thing you can find at a box store, throw it away when it breaks, and repeat the process. Then again, maybe I'm just a grumpy old guy who's stuck in his ways :)

FWIW - I have an 026 and an 036. Both are good saws. I've not owned a 261, but my understanding is that they are actually a noticeable step up from the older 026. I run 18" bars on both of my saws. The 026 would run better with a 16", but I like having common parts that I can swap back and forth between the saws. I mostly use the 026 for limbing and for stuff that's under 6". It will cut wood that's a lot bigger, it's just a lot slower at it than my 036. I've tweaked the 036 so that it runs with a 9 pin rim. I use it mainly for bucking and felling. I cut mostly hickory, oak, and locust, and most of what I cut starts out around 20". If I need a bar that's longer than 18", I pick up a +90cc saw .

From what you have shared, it sounds like you cut or will cut a lot. My parents are in the Boonville area, so I know Santa Rosa well. I figure you will cut and burn 5+ cords a year, and the ms261, which is a great saw is a bit small to do that much cutting. If you are considering the 362, then the 400 is what you want. There are BIG trees in that area, so something that would pull a 28 or 32 inch bar would be my choice. Look at the 462 or the 500i as your primary saws, and I'd get the 261 also as your lightweight limb bucking saw and for generally smaller stuff.

I didn't mention it in my previous post, but after a couple of other have mentioned it, I'll vote for the 400. If you don't mind the price over the 362, the 400 is better in every conceivable way.

Although Stihl says the 362 is lighter, I'm convinced that the 400 is the same way...the 400's built on the same chassis and has a lighter rotating assembly, so it shouldn't be any heavier. I own a 400 and it doesn't feel any different than a 362 when you pick it up.

Where the 400 doesn't feel like a 362, is the power. The 400 blows the 362 out of the water...it's a strong little saw. I own a wrap handle 400...it was pretty good stock, but I did some machine and port work to it...it continues to impress me with it's power/weight ratio compared to other saws. The 400 has the balls to run a longer bar than a 25", my ported saw easily pulls a 32"...it's just that the oiler was tapped out at 28". It's the same oiler as the 362, and there is a workaround for both saws to improve oiler performance. I ended up with the 461R pump and control bolt in the 400 oil pump housing.

ms362 and CM. $879 (25")

Lol go big or go home
And I person can always need more than one saw
When I joined here I had 2 saws now I have 9 running and 3 others I'm working on to get running to sale so I can buy more saws

I started as a die-hard husky guy. Own 14 or 15 mostly 2 series and a few 3 series. Then I bought a 550 and 562. So now I own my husky collection, sold the 550 and 562 once I found and tried a 400c. The perfect 1 saw plan. Then it started again. Bought a 10mm 044, 461, and 361. Looking for 026,28,34,36,38 supers for my Stihl collection.
So now I am trying to decide on a ported 346xp NE, or a new 261c ported for my small saw.
So basically if you buy one plan on never stopping.
I like the 3 saw plan of a 261 or 346 wearing a 20 inch bar, 400c wearing a 25 light, and a ported 461 (or 462 if you like mtronic) wearing a 28 or 32 for the little use I need bigger than the 25 inch.
But opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Some good info given here. I have a 362 mtronic. I really like the 400 but the price and availability are an issue. I spent the cash and had the saw woods ported. Never looked back. It performs great and I don't spend rime tuning as my woods work is a side hustle now. It is a good strong saw that is well built and easy to service.
If you are looking for durability and a not so painful price point go with the 362 and muffler mod it. You will be going in the right direction. Cut with care and enjoy the heat.

just found a 461 locally used for $600 with a 90cm bar. the bar is definitely oversized for me but I like the idea of a 77cc saw. (Tim tool man grunt) more power

just found a 461 locally used for $600 with a 90cm bar. the bar is definitely oversized for me but I like the idea of a 77cc saw. (Tim tool man grunt) more power

The 461 is a great saw. 10yo tech, but very potent and reliable. You'll love it. 90cm (36") is way long as a single bar for a single saw. My 461 ran a 24" B&C and it was hungry and angry in all size and type wood. Get another bar and you'll be set.

Back