7 tooth VS 8 tooth rim sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 tooth= higher chain speed but more prone to bog in the cut.
The 8 tooth rim would work best with a bar shorter than 20".

I tried an 8 tooth rim with a 20" bar on my ms460.
I couldn't tell a lot of difference between the 8 and a 7.
With a 24" or 28" bar, I only use a 7 tooth rim.

It depends on what diameter your cutting and cutter type and grind your using along with bar length. Stock, I wouldn't do in hardwood unless your cutting smaller logs (under 14"). Softwod, ehh. Ported I would do it with a 16-20" bar and not with a 24"+.

Only time I'd run an 8 tooth on a 60 cc would be with a 16" bar.

I use an 8 tooth on my 372 with a 20" bar for firewood, etc. tried a 7 too, couldn't tell a difference. When the 8 wears out I'll put a 7 on.

OTOH, my 385 seems to like an 8 with a 24" bar. Sprockets are cheap, so go ahead and experiment, see what works.

With an 8 I think you need to have a very good chain. Sharp, self feeding, and depth gauges not to aggressive.
Much more susceptible to low depth gauges or an aggressive tooth or a heavy handed operator who likes to dig those dawgs in and lean on it. Depends on what wood too. 372 in spruce, fir, pine, really rips.
7 works basically all the time though.

With the immense power and torque created by the super-high-tech m-tronic system, I'm actually surprised Stihl doesn't ship the 362 C-M with a 9 pin sprocket.

Actually, the 2016 MS362 will have an 18 tooth sprocket. ;) If you've got any wood to cut around Hockley you need to invite me over so we can see what it does.

What he said. I run an 8 pin rim on my 361s with anything less than 20 inch bar. Wasted torque otherwise, and with the faster chain speed they cut faster.

I really liked using an 8-pin on my 361, but only when using the 15" bar. It was OK with 18" as well, but I don't think there was any gain with it. It is not for hamfisted users.

Latest posts

Back