7 tooth VS 8 tooth rim sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locust Cutter

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
It depends on what diameter your cutting and cutter type and grind your using along with bar length. Stock, I wouldn't do in hardwood unless your cutting smaller logs (under 14"). Softwod, ehh. Ported I would do it with a 16-20" bar and not with a 24"+.

Chris_In_VT

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
Only time I'd run an 8 tooth on a 60 cc would be with a 16" bar.

I use an 8 tooth on my 372 with a 20" bar for firewood, etc. tried a 7 too, couldn't tell a difference. When the 8 wears out I'll put a 7 on.

OTOH, my 385 seems to like an 8 with a 24" bar. Sprockets are cheap, so go ahead and experiment, see what works.

Chris_In_VT

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
With an 8 I think you need to have a very good chain. Sharp, self feeding, and depth gauges not to aggressive.
Much more susceptible to low depth gauges or an aggressive tooth or a heavy handed operator who likes to dig those dawgs in and lean on it. Depends on what wood too. 372 in spruce, fir, pine, really rips.
7 works basically all the time though.

Cope1024
With the immense power and torque created by the super-high-tech m-tronic system, I'm actually surprised Stihl doesn't ship the 362 C-M with a 9 pin sprocket.

Actually, the 2016 MS362 will have an 18 tooth sprocket. ;) If you've got any wood to cut around Hockley you need to invite me over so we can see what it does.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
What he said. I run an 8 pin rim on my 361s with anything less than 20 inch bar. Wasted torque otherwise, and with the faster chain speed they cut faster.

I really liked using an 8-pin on my 361, but only when using the 15" bar. It was OK with 18" as well, but I don't think there was any gain with it. It is not for hamfisted users.

Latest posts