7 year old first time cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My daughter that turned 7 last month and I went cutting. She has been on me to teach her how to cut wood with "her saw" my Tanaka 3401. She woke me up at 6:45 Sat and was already to go. We went to breakfast at the local greasy spoon and then hit the pile, a 13 cord load of lodgepole. I cut out the end of the pile and left some just right logs sticking out of the pile. We sat sown on the logs with the saw and had our "talk". Then away we went, I never took my hands off of the saw, but she ran the throttle and I let her feel the cut and it was great, she was thrilled. Nothing like it. My buddies and I cut about 7 cords and she came up several times for her turn and we repeated. Great day.:cheers:

Sounds like a great time!!! Nothing like getting them out when they are young but still in a very controlled situation. My boys go with me. While they are yet to try the saw my 9 year old is the full-time handle operator on the splitter.

i did that with my 9yo neice and a 372 in black locust. again, never let go of the saw. me, her dad, and her granddad all told her to not mention it in front of mom, autie or grandma. sure enough it was the first thing she said as soon as she walked in the door. "GUESS WHAT UNCLE LET ME DO!"

i was in hot water for about 5 minutes till i pointed out that she wasnt bleeding and i never let go of the saw.

now shes just a crazy teenage girl that i wouldnt let near a saw in a suit of armour!

I sure wish that I would have at least had a pix taken. I have the log though. Man that was cool for her, and me too. She asked me yesterday if we can go out and cut down a russian olive in the pasture, she said, "it is dead ya know, it needs cut down". Man that is cool.

I sure wish that I would have at least had a pix taken. I have the log though. Man that was cool for her, and me too. She asked me yesterday if we can go out and cut down a russian olive in the pasture, she said, "it is dead ya know, it needs cut down". Man that is cool.
Sounds like she's hooked, You may have a future sawing partner.

Cool beans man!!! I let my 4 year old run the throttle on my saws, he really like the sound of the 5100, though I haven't let him cut anything he sure likes standing there free reving it!!! Kids are great fun:cheers:

Latest posts

Back