70E Bar Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heffalump

Y'all Mofo's Need Jesus
Reaction score
I just got my 70E in and am looking to replace the old 20" Sandvik that came with it. I've been reading through posts on bars for the 70E. I see that the "correct" mount is D024, 10mm slot. I also see that some bars will mount with a widening of the <10mm slot, and some bars will mount with spacers/adapters for the >10mm slot.

I am looking to put either a 24" or superlight 28" bar on this saw. This is for reach more than it is for chewing on big wood. Most importantly, I want to run 3/8" .050 chain, and I NEED it to oil well.

Does anyone have any insight as to which 3/8" .050 bars oil the most reliably?

Also, is there a general preference towards either using spacers or widening out the slot? I personally prefer to avoid additional components, but I also don't care to introduce any structural issues with a file. ;)

The slight widening that may be nessessary with 9.5mm slots, and will be with 9mm ones, won't cause any structural issues, unless you do some stupid mistake. Don't remove more than nessessary, remember that the numbers are nominal, and far from always accurate.

Check that the bolts haven't already been changed to 9mm ones (another option, but I don't know how easy it is on that model).

Thanks Troll. I was hoping that the 1/2mm was probably more like 1/2mm, +/-0.5mm ;)

Any advice on the oiling aspect? It seems that the 4 aspects of bar mount is the slot width, the adjuster hole location, the oil port, and the ramps. It also seems that the slot is fairly easy to deal with and that the adjuster holes are pretty standardly located. The oil ports, however, seem to be a bit of a wild-card.

Most specifically, i would like a Sugi, a Cannon, a Total, or a GB. Does anyone run on of these guys on a 70E with 3/8, .050 in either 24" or 28"? I'd love to hear feedback....

Thanks!

Bumpin' this back to the first page with the hope that @Cantdog sees it while taking his morning coffee out there on the rockbound coast of Maine....

Thanks for the feedback! I'm guessing that your 24" Windsor is a D024 mount bar? Are you running full chisel 3/8 .058? Also, what do you use for a sprocket?

I would try an 8-pin with a shorter bar - but hardly with a 24" one. Those are low rpm saws, that tend to like larger sprockets than todays high rpm saws.

The D009 bar is the same mount as the obsolete D024 mount except for the difference in slot size. It will oil the same.

Its a easy fix to file out the D009 mount to fit.

The D096/D196 mounts will take less filing but will use a different DL count then the Husky D009 bars. They will have the same oiler holes though.

Ill check sprocket in the am. 3/8 stihl RS full comp. It does fine in soft to medium density woods, its too much in the hard stuff. I have been thinking that I would like to try some skip on the oak, hard maple....

@SawTroll : Agreed on the sprocket. It has an 8pin now, but will DEFINITELY be getting a 7.

@Modifiedmark : When you say that the D096/D196 take less filing, do you mean that they will not allow as much filing as needed, or that less filing will be required?

@JC360 : I'm definitely interested to hear. Thanks!

[QUOTE="Heffalump, post: 4986906, member: 124294]

@Modifiedmark : When you say that the D096/D196 take less filing, do you mean that they will not allow as much filing as needed, or that less filing will be required?

[/QUOTE]

Less filing required as the slot on them are .5mm bigger to begin with.

I decided a while back that I was not filing any bars out to 10mm just to fit a certain saw. I like to be able to switch them around if I want to. I decided to modify the saw's studs instead. I turned out a set of studs on the lathe for my 920 that were 9 mm so I could use a off the shelf D009 Husky bar on it. I'm not good on a lathe so it was a project for me to do those plus I had to bush the holes in the clutch cover for the smaller studs.

When I got my 930 I decided to just file the top and bottom of the studs instead which worked out well and had no need to bush the clutch cover that way. I just used a wide bastard file and done them both at one time on the saw. Didn't take much that way.

9mm, 9.5 and 10 nominal - but 10 really is 9.8 or so on average, and the others often are a bit larger than specified - or something like that.....;)
As someone else stated, the disadvantage with D096/D196 bars is that they need a different dl count, and are shorter for the same "called" length.

As far as I know, all bar mount patterns that start with "D" in the Oregon system interchange pretty well, as long as you find a way to adapt the slot wideness, either with an adaptor, or by grinding/filing them wider.

The slight widening that may be nessessary with 9.5mm slots, and will be with 9mm ones, won't cause any structural issues, unless you do some stupid mistake. Don't remove more than nessessary, remember that the numbers are nominal, and far from always accurate.

Check that the bolts haven't already been changed to 9mm ones (another option, but I don't know how easy it is on that model).
Thank You!

Latest posts

Back