72LGX chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with LGX - I just happen to prefere LPX, as it feels smoother (and maybe a little faster). It also bore cuts better.

RS (used to be RSC) also is very good chain, that I rank equal to LGX.

I use RM, RS, LGX, LPX, VXL, JGX and RP chains and I use them a lot. I'm not the occasional cutter.

Let me be clear, I like all of the chains listed above as they all have their place (LPX/VXL/RM for dirty wood, RS/LGX/JGX for clean wood and RP (woodland pro/carlton) for ripping)... but they are not created equal. I buy Stihl chain from the saw shop up the street when I've been too lazy to sharpen.

I've said this a few times as have others... When it comes to chain, you simply cannot deny Stihl's superiority. You can flat out do more work in less time with Stihl chain, especially when comparing fresh out of the box chains. Why? Oregon/Carlton/Woodland Pro chain has to be tensioned pretty regularly, Stihl is ready to rock and roll even fresh out of the box. All other brands of chains take a while to stretch completely, which means having to stop. IMO Stihl chain oils better, it takes a hit (metal) with less damage and undeniably stays sharper longer.

If it weren't so expensive I wouldn't run anything else. Unfortunately, it's $0.44-$0.45 per drive link around here!!! For a 84dl's you're looking at almost $40 with tax!!!! Because of that, I only have 7-8 loops of Stihl chain. The other 15-20 loops are other brands.

In conclusion, Because of price, 1 loop of Stihl chain is worth less to me than 2 loops (with $ to spare) of Oregon.. Duh.

I need to break down and start buying rolls.. With that comes other equipment and expenses.

I use RM, RS, LGX, LPX, VXL, JGX and RP chains and I use them a lot. I'm not the occasional cutter.

Let me be clear, I like all of the chains listed above as they all have their place (LPX/VXL/RM for dirty wood, RS/LGX/JGX for clean wood and RP (woodland pro/carlton) for ripping)... but they are not created equal. I buy Stihl chain from the saw shop up the street when I've been too lazy to sharpen.

I've said this a few times as have others... When it comes to chain, you simply cannot deny Stihl's superiority. You can flat out do more work in less time with Stihl chain, especially when comparing fresh out of the box chains. Why? Oregon/Carlton/Woodland Pro chain has to be tensioned pretty regularly, Stihl is ready to rock and roll even fresh out of the box. All other brands of chains take a while to stretch completely, which means having to stop. IMO Stihl chain oils better, it takes a hit (metal) with less damage and undeniably stays sharper longer.

If it weren't so expensive I wouldn't run anything else. Unfortunately, it's $0.44-$0.45 per drive link around here!!! For a 84dl's you're looking at almost $40 with tax!!!! Because of that, I only have 7-8 loops of Stihl chain. The other 15-20 loops are other brands.

In conclusion, Because of price, 1 loop of Stihl chain is worth less to me than 2 loops (with $ to spare) of Oregon.. Duh.

I need to break down and start buying rolls.. With that comes other equipment and expenses.

You just listed LPX for use on dirty wood. I hope you know better and just made a mistake as LPX is a full chisel chain and a very good one, but not any better then any other full chisel for dirty wood.

DP is Oregon's semi chisel chain and is much better for dirty wood.

Stihl chain is good but it won't end world hunger or cure childhood cancer.
Remember that there are a whole heap of wood cutting scenarios around the world and also dozens of Stihl chain variants. Some people claim that Stihl 36RM for example lasts longer than Carlton A3EP under similar conditions. However you can then talk to full time firewood cutters who will assure you that they've used them all under some pretty adverse conditions and that Carlton stays sharp the longest. If you talk to full time fallers in New South Wales (Australia) they preferred Oregon square in the timber they were cutting and they have tried them all. If you talk to fallers in southern Tasmania (Australia) they used Stihl chain because the only dealer nearby was a Stihl dealer.
I've used a heap of different chain styles and brands in Australian hardwoods and when falling I noticed absolutely no difference in wear between Carlton A3EP semi chisel, Stihl 36RM semi chisel, or Windsor 63A semi chisel. In fact out of the 3 the Windsor was probably the best as it cut the smoothest.

However when I ran the same comparo with full chisel chain Stihl's 33RS was a clear winner for wear and performance with LGX right up there too. Carlton's A1EP is difficult to get cutting properly compared to the other two but on the flip side one of the fastest cutting loops of full chisel I have ever run was a loop of Carlton A1LM.

In my opinion there isn't one single chain manufacturer that can claim to have the best chain in all categories.

I will give Stihl chain credit though in the fact it always comes out the box just oozing quality and Stihl are constantly modifying and improving their chain. Don't think I'm against Stihl chain either as I've sold around 1000' of it in the last few months and it is by far the most popular chain I have in stock.

For that price I would run quite a bit of it. That's barely over 100' roll price.

You just listed LPX for use on dirty wood. I hope you know better and just made a mistake as LPX is a full chisel chain and a very good one, but not any better then any other full chisel for dirty wood.

DP is Oregon's semi chisel chain and is much better for dirty wood.

You are correct, definitely a mistake. I have yet to try the DP chain.. The prices @ comstock are fantastic, I might try a few loops with all the dead pine I cut.

We ran into two bad 100' reels of 75LGX. Both pulled right on big logs. They also seemed softer than Stihl chains and wore out faster. I checked the drive links. The left side rakers (depth gauges) were higher. Another saw shop verified this. Oregon supplied new replacement reels. Those worked better and cut straight. Rakers on both sides were the same height on the replacement chain.

Now and then you have a bad production run. Note that the LGX sharpening angle is 25 degrees. Stihl chain is usually 30 degrees. Just an observation that might be worth a discussion.

We ran into two bad 100' reels of 75LGX. Both pulled right on big logs. They also seemed softer than Stihl chains and wore out faster. I checked the drive links. The left side rakers (depth gauges) were higher. Another saw shop verified this. Oregon supplied new replacement reels. Those worked better and cut straight. Rakers on both sides were the same height on the replacement chain.

Now and then you have a bad production run. Note that the LGX sharpening angle is 25 degrees. Stihl chain is usually 30 degrees. Just an observation that might be worth a discussion.

Ime, the rakers need to be checked (and often filed as well) on all new chain loops, and you can always get the edge sharper than it comes as well. :msp_wink:

MCW, I heard on the radio the average annual wage in Australia is 67k. Not bad. Everyone over there should be able to afford Stihl chain. I choose not to meet their asking price.

Can't go wrong at that price....

I prefer Stihl, but LGX @ that price, I could be persuaded otherwise as "Real-world" differences are negligible out of the box.
I do find less "Stretch" on a new chain W/Stihl. Also durability might be a tad better due to the thicker chrome on Stihl RS.
I'll usually Sharpen them square and even out the depth gauges on the HDG-6 upon sharpening the the first time any how.
That seems to make the biggest performance improvement regardless of brand.

The thicker chrome on the Stihl chain is a trade-off, as it means that it can't get as sharp as Oregon chain.

Why do you think that Stihl chain basically never is used as racing chain?

In the woods, the differences still are there, but I never notised any difference in stay-sharp in my clean and green birch. If my wood were different, I might have. :msp_wink:

Last edited:
I've found The biggest factor in "Stay-Sharp" ability is usually related to the operator/technique, not so much the brand.

The thicker chrome on the Stihl chain is a trade-off, as it means that it can't get as sharp as Oregon chain.

Why do you think that Stihl chain basically never is used as racing chain?

In the woods, the differences still are there, but I never notised any difference in stay-sharp in my clean and green birch. If my wood were different, I might have. :msp_wink:

And when you screw up and run it into the ground they all go dull also!! :msp_biggrin:

Joe I want to thank you for this Thread!! Been using Bailey's 30RC chain (Woodland Pro ) for about three years now. Good chain for the $. I've found it to stay sharper a little longer than the Oregon 72LGX but for $5.50 a loop going back to the Oregon.
Got the dealer here too! Closer and hopefully more consistent shipping than Bailey's, which has been up and down.

Joe I want to thank you for this Thread!! Been using Bailey's 30RC chain (Woodland Pro ) for about three years now. Good chain for the $. I've found it to stay sharper a little longer than the Oregon 72LGX but for $5.50 a loop going back to the Oregon.
Got the dealer here too! Closer and hopefully more consistent shipping than Bailey's, which has been up and down.

Carlton chain is rather crude, compared to Oregon and Stihl, and need a lot of work even when new.

At least that is my experience with the few loops I have tried.....:givebeer:

Back