72LGX chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just leaves a unused cutter and raker for reference. What's the problem? :msp_wink: :jester:

This was a brand new loop of Stihl 36RS. This wasn't done by the dealer either. It came off the 100' roll like this too. Bit fuzzy but you get the idea...

That way when you turn the bar over, you don't have to take the chain off - you can just flip the whole assy.

Waylan

Mark-What do you think about DP/DPX? I like the stay sharp of semi chisel but the only semi chisel I have is 95VPX and it is really jumpy for some reason.

Is your 95vpx jumpy when new? I always thought it to be pretty smooth chain but then again any chain can be jumpy if sharpened incorrectly.

I got no problems with DP chain, always been good to me.

I have stated before that I am done with Carlton chain and its not just because of the ones I got with the unsharpened cutters. I have to say though that I have some Carlton Semi Chisel and it seems to be pretty good.

I used some DP today. Talk about a noticeable difference between that and LGX. Then again I did just go from a 346 .325 to a MS261 3/8...

Seriously though I stopped and checked to make sure the chain was sharp, it was that much slower than a chisel chain.... I don't notice that much between .325 chis and semi chis, 3/8 is a big difference.

Is your 95vpx jumpy when new? I always thought it to be pretty smooth chain but then again any chain can be jumpy if sharpened incorrectly.

I got no problems with DP chain, always been good to me.

I have stated before that I am done with Carlton chain and its not just because of the ones I got with the unsharpened cutters. I have to say though that I have some Carlton Semi Chisel and it seems to be pretty good.

the 95vpx seems "jumpy" only when I cut larger wood. It's not like it wants to kick back, it just chatters and vibrates even after I filed it. I think that it's more in the way that I tend to cant the saw and maybe it's pinching somewhat.

Stihl Spoiled Me

If you feel that way, it is your problem, not mine - each to his own! :givebeer:
Well, I suppose I would feel that way having used Stihl chain for years and never had any problems with loops or reels, right out of the box. So, when I encountered two reels of Oregon 75LGX that did not work nearly as well, it caught be flat footed. When it comes to chain, I guess Stihl professional chain has spoiled me for good. :dizzy:

Well, I suppose I would feel that way having used Stihl chain for years and never had any problems with loops or reels, right out of the box. So, when I encountered two reels of Oregon 75LGX that did not work nearly as well, it caught be flat footed. When it comes to chain, I guess Stihl professional chain has spoiled me for good. :dizzy:

Stihl chain isn't always perfect when new, but it surely is among the better ones (with Oregon) . It still needs to be filed (usually lightly) when new, and the rakers sometimes are too high.

More major issues show up now and then as well, but isn't really common.

I had a roll of Stihl square that looked like ripping chain. Barely over 10 degree top plate angle. It cut OK but needed ground to be up to what it should have been.

Carlton's semi chisel is very good but I'm with you on their full chisel, I don't like it either. Give me RSC or LGX any day.

Maybe Carlton semi is fine in 3/8", but it surely isn't in .325 - based on my limited experience with it....:popcorn:

Last edited:
Carlton's semi chisel is very good but I'm with you on their full chisel, I don't like it either. Give me RSC or LGX any day.

Yes, it's very very good. I honestly don't think I've ever tried a full chisel carlton.

Carlton semi is great, chisel is useable. The corner isn't crisp like stihl or oregon.

Maybe Carlton semi is fine in 3/8", but it surely isn't in .325 - based on my limited experience with it....:popcorn:

You could be right if cutting softwoods Niko. I don't mind the Carlton semi chisel K1-3 but certainly prefer Stihl's 26RM. One thing with the Stihl semi chisel echoed by everybody I've spoken to is that it needs it's depth guages dropped a bit out of the box to perform properly. Stihl have probably designed it like that so the MS210 can pull it :)

I honestly don't think I've ever tried a full chisel carlton.

Don't ;) Although it can cut well with a bit of work...

Carlton semi is great, chisel is useable. The corner isn't crisp like stihl or oregon.

Carlton chisel in 3/8" needs extensive filing before it cuts decently, and it still is producing more vibes than the Stihl and Oregon equivalents - LP/LPX is even smoother than those.

Slow Grown Birch?

I mostly cut slow grown birch, which is defined as hardwood, but surely isn't among the hardest ones.
Slow grown birch? Troll, this is absurd. How can you judge any chain based on that? There are hundreds of wood species that we have to cut that is not slow grown birch. Your sampling evidence is thus atrocious.

I figure that if an MFG's chain made in 2012 cannot even cut 30" dia. Eastern cottonwood straight down, pulls right, and wears out too fast, then it must be downgraded. That's what I reported to Comstock based on two defective 100' reels of Oregon 75LGX. On the other hand, I have 15 years of using Stihl chain that works correctly right off the reel for 114 DL loops that I made myself and for pre-made loops already made. No "touch-up" required for the Stihl chain.

I judge 75LGX (or 72LGX for that matter) to not be professional chain. It might work OK for firewood cutting, but not for professional loggers and only if firewood cutters want to tolerate it. I'm disappointed with Oregon's quality control. I trust they have taken action to remedy the situation.

..... I'm disappointed with Oregon's quality control. I trust they have taken action to remedy the situation.

I don't believe Oregons quality control is any worse than Stihls, as I have never seen any evidence of that.

Also, it is a fact that Stihl chain never can get as sharp/fast as comparable Oregon chain, because of the thicker chrome on the Stihl chain - chrome can not be sharpened.

As for the rest of your post, I don't want to turn this into a fight, so I leave it alone.

Slow grown birch? Troll, this is absurd. How can you judge any chain based on that? There are hundreds of wood species that we have to cut that is not slow grown birch. Your sampling evidence is thus atrocious.

I figure that if an MFG's chain made in 2012 cannot even cut 30" dia. Eastern cottonwood straight down, pulls right, and wears out too fast, then it must be downgraded. That's what I reported to Comstock based on two defective 100' reels of Oregon 75LGX. On the other hand, I have 15 years of using Stihl chain that works correctly right off the reel for 114 DL loops that I made myself and for pre-made loops already made. No "touch-up" required for the Stihl chain.

I judge 75LGX (or 72LGX for that matter) to not be professional chain. It might work OK for firewood cutting, but not for professional loggers and only if firewood cutters want to tolerate it. I'm disappointed with Oregon's quality control. I trust they have taken action to remedy the situation.

If he cuts the same wood all the time and uses different chains, why is that not a valid sample? Lots of guys only cut oak, so their experience doesn't count either? If you were going to test different chains to see which ones cuts better, I would think you would use the same log.

And I'm quite sure there are thousands of loggers quite happily using Oregon chain, despite your unsatisfaction.

If you like Stihl chain by all means be happy with it. For me its certainly not worth the insane asking price.

Back