7900/7910 Killer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of reviews about the ****** filtration on the 462. I bet they still haven't addressed this issue. Sone have resorted to putting pantyhose over the filter to keep it from clogging. I think I'll buy a husky instead of dealing with that crap on a $1k saw.
Yeppers ..... some have resorted to coating the lip with grease / foam filter oil etc to try and keep the fines out ... this is complete rubbish when paying top dollar for a saw ! I’ve heard reports that the fastening mechanism can loose “tension” after time / vibrations etc thus allowing fine particulates thru the “gap” and into the firing chamber where it quickly causes accelerated wear/failure ... the “dust” from some species of timber contains high silica which (imho) can be compared to glass - not conducive to long engine life ... anyhoo I’m stocking up on 461s for a few reasons ... 1) proven platform that when ported properly will beat up on either the 462c or the 572xp and can run longer bars ... 2) the ability to run the max-flow oiled foam element ~~~ when oiled/installed correctly I’ve gotten 25+ tanks of fuel without ANY fines getting in ... yes the filter was Filthy and completely coated with dust/chips but the engine ingested only fuel and clean air ... If you are processing firewood the max -flow pays for itself rather quickly by allowing you to cut ; run low on fuel; refill tank + bar oil ; continue cutting —- rinse and repeat ... the stock air filter system requires you to stop drop and tap every few tanks and every time you do you risk some fines getting in the carb throat no matter how careful you are .... I’m not affiliated with max-flow in any way shape or form —- I just know what works for me ! My 461 and 660 both run em and knowing what I do wood NEVER go back to the stock filter !

Who would buy a 462 if the 500i was available?

y0!.gif

"Sporty design"
lol8.gif

Plenty of reviews about the ****** filtration on the 462. I bet they still haven't addressed this issue. Sone have resorted to putting pantyhose over the filter to keep it from clogging. I think I'll buy a husky instead of dealing with that crap on a $1k saw.
I think going off your SIG list of ALL husky saws with 1 Jred (husky) perhaps maybe possibly the air filter would not be the deal breaking decision maker you perhaps pretend it too be? Maybe you just like orange & red saws :). Nothing wrong with that but I kinda get the feel buying a Stihl would have not really been on the cards. Despite our tall stories it always comes down to our deep seated brand loyalties...its OK many others are exactly the same.

We're you honestly ever going to buy a Stihl saw? Given your SIG saw list of ALL husky's and 1 JRed was the 462 filter really the deal breaking factor that you make it out to be? I think like many others deep seated brand loyalty made your decision well before bad filtration reports came out. That's OK many are like you and stick to what they like, its just a little funny filter was the final straw. I'd own either a 572 or 462 happily, I think both saws are great in their own unique ways. The heavy husky has a big boy bottom end and decent filter, the 462 is a simple design with unprecedented specs. But I don't think after running my 681 or 7900 either saw would be that 'impressive'.

I'd absolutely consider buying a Stihl if they came out with a fuel injection model. I surely wont consider it if they haven't fixed the filter issue. Would I buy a 461 or 462? No, I can get a similar saw with better filtration for the same or less money. The draw would be the fuel injection is unique.

Just a thought to all you guys wanting the "latest all singing/dancing gismo's on saws" the problem as I see it is the same as with Auto's if you have a problem it needs expensive diagnostic kit to even suss the fault more than likely beyond the means of most Joe Public so = visit to dealer = extra down time = not good for a trying to make money company a saw that can be fixed on site is a cash saver compared to a have to take it in to the dealer syndrome The march of progress is not a one size fits all;

Are they for the saw ? or pulling over your head when you rob the bank on the way home to pay for the saw that you need the pantyhose for to keep the induction tract chip/dust free
Lots of options. A mask for "raising" funds, a pre filter for your HD2, or a noose for when you realize how much dust gets through the carb.
20180927_162238.jpg
Screenshot_20181004-065341_Chrome.jpg

Just a thought to all you guys wanting the "latest all singing/dancing gismo's on saws" the problem as I see it is the same as with Auto's if you have a problem it needs expensive diagnostic kit to even suss the fault more than likely beyond the means of most Joe Public so = visit to dealer = extra down time = not good for a trying to make money company a saw that can be fixed on site is a cash saver compared to a have to take it in to the dealer syndrome The march of progress is not a one size fits all;
I mostly agree.

With Stihl the Mtronic saws don't seem to require firmware updates every other day[emoji6] like the Husqvarna saws, so that's is a plus. In fact I don't remember hearing about Mtronic for updates at all, in which case the diagnostic tool really isn't needed for diagnosis. These are still simple machines when it comes down to it.

That said Husqvarna and Stihl are trying to do what the automotive industry is doing in forcing customers to rely on dealerships. I don't think this is going to work, wrong demographic. All that really should be required is a downloadable app and some way to interface with the system, for updates and diagnostics if needed. Both manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves for not having done this from the get-go. [emoji58]

Stihl looks to be moving in the right direction for the most part. My gut is telling me Husqvarna may never recover in the pro saw market IMHO. They're just so far behind now it's sad really.[emoji17] Time will tell.

The more players producing saws for the pro market the better. I don't like it when the gap gets too great or one disappears for good. I don't like how the diagnostic tech is heading that ties customers to their dealers. I think the day either husky or Stihl breaks away from that model will be the day they realise how bad of an idea it was. Give the market what they want & you will reap the reward. Its a shight idea that stemmed from a bunch of greedy number crunching asses. They should be worried about air filters...and stuffs, but mainly air filters....big ones that don't leak and upset Marshy.

What saw are you getting that has a similar power to weight ratio of a 462?
Ported 461R ... proven chassis that when properly modded flat-out produces and running equipped with max-flow filter can cut all day ! $$$ maker IF you have the work ! Hearing lotsa reports of 462c not passing muster after some time in the woods - could be air-filter related - I’ll stick with the The tried and true myself ... 461 Might not be a 7900/7910 “killer” as it’s giving up a few ccs but it’s a saw that’s served many for long time when set/up properly

Back