7900/7910 Killer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow I missed the 572 Saturday. 462 sure was light. Just picked it up, didn’t run it. I spoke briefly with Tree Monkey who said they appear to be fine saws. Haven’t seen or heard anything that would remove it from my wish list. However, I am not expecting it to run like an 80 cc saw.

Ron

I'm pretty sure it will be just fine mechanically. I don't see it on my wish list any more honestly, probably just wait for the 500i.

I'm pretty sure it will be just fine mechanically. I don't see it on my wish list any more honestly, probably just wait for the 500i.

Until this thread I was unfamiliar with the 500I. If it is actually coming here in the Spring, I may wait too as the stats are impressive. Also the contrast between it and the 462 on the Stihl website make the two seem similar to the contrast between a 461 and a 362. One designed for long bars and one for short bars. I am interested in a lightweight saw with a 25” bar with enough power to be a capable hardwood falling saw for up to 30” or so and then reducing it to firewood comfortably. I have the bigger stuff handled and will continue with a two saw approach with them. Currently old large MACs and a MS361. Either of the new Stihls could cause the 361 to be left at the house. Possibly the MACs as well with the 500I if I get a 32” bar too.

Not being much of a tuner, the FI appeals to me as much as the Mtronic. If it can survive the world of a cutoff saw, it should survive mine.

Ron

Well I thought I'd really fall for the Stihl, that did not happen. Yes the 462 is lighter and physically smaller, but it has really wobbly poor feeling AV and maybe the ballance is off too? it simply did Not feel right to me at all, almost cheap feeling [emoji44]. Did they go too far saving weigh? Time will tell I suppose. The power was there with both saws, but in my hands the 572 was like glass, very refined power and far superior AV IMHO. I even stopped to check to see if something was loose on the 462. I believe it had a 28" bar hanging off of it, felt too long for the saw, not power wise, just feel. I spoke with the owner of both saws, and like myself "maybe do to the hype" we both were expecting to be taken by the Stihl, we agreed at this point in time the opposite happened. I'd like to get more run time on both saws.

The way I see it the 462 is more of a short bar saw with a bunch of power, so I could see it being popular in Europe and less popular with loggers in the states that run longer bars. I always had a bit of apprehension with running a long bar on such a small compact power head. The AV and ergonomics just weren't there for me.

Take this for what it is, I only ran each saw for a short period of time, and most of what I said is subjective.

[emoji111]
Was that a light bar? If not, hopefully that or a 24/25" light bar will feel right on it. 25" would be fantastic on a strong 70cc class saw.

What if I did the 064 and you did the 7900 ?

Until this thread I was unfamiliar with the 500I. If it is actually coming here in the Spring, I may wait too as the stats are impressive. Also the contrast between it and the 462 on the Stihl website make the two seem similar to the contrast between a 461 and a 362. One designed for long bars and one for short bars. I am interested in a lightweight saw with a 25” bar with enough power to be a capable hardwood falling saw for up to 30” or so and then reducing it to firewood comfortably. I have the bigger stuff handled and will continue with a two saw approach with them. Currently old large MACs and a MS361. Either of the new Stihls could cause the 361 to be left at the house. Possibly the MACs as well with the 500I if I get a 32” bar too.

Not being much of a tuner, the FI appeals to me as much as the Mtronic. If it can survive the world of a cutoff saw, it should survive mine.

Ron
Honestly I feel like the 462 is more of a 362 replacement type of saw, and the 500i will fill in the larger saw spot.

I believe it goes ......puff puff...pass........not puff.puff.puff.puff.puff.puff is someone's to high...:confused:
What the hell does that have to do with the price of beans ?

Yah ... them dolmars are thoroughbreds imho ... logging with them day in and day out they just rattle apart and were tossed out within 6 months ... never see dolmars in the woods around here ... they simply don’t hold up !

Latest posts

Back