7900 hard to start when "cold"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Any suggestions? I bought it new this Spring and only have run about 5-6 tanks of gas thru it. It is easy to start when warm, but the first start of the day is a bear. I'm following the starting procedure in the manual, but it takes 25 or more pulls to get it going. Once it's been run, usually one or 2 pulls and it's running again. If it sits for half a day it's harder to start, but not as bad as if it's sat for a week. It doesn't matter if it's 30° out or 80° out.

I don't use it every day, and it'll sit a while between uses.

Something is wrong. Should only take about 6 pulls to get her running. Check to make sure you choke is fully closing when you pull out the choke lever. If that is not your problem, check the fuel line, filter and inlet screen. Post back with your findings.

25 pulls you must be FLOODING it........... When it does start is there excess smoke and gas exiting the muffler?

Scott

Thanks, I'll check it this evening.

cuttinscott, nope I don't think I'm flooding it. The compression release doesn't even kick off for the first 15 or so pulls. When it does, I take the choke off, re-set the comp release, and try to start it again. It'll kick off the comp release once or twice before it finally runs enough for me to get my finger on the throttle. I may or may not have to flip the choke back on again.

It's been sitting for 2 weeks now. I'll check everything this evening; start it, and report back.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're missing the first pop, it doesn't always push out the decomp. The carb still may need some adjusting, if you don't know how to adjust the carp I suggest taking the saw to your dealer and have them look at. If you don't have a Dolmar dealer close by a Stihl or Husky dealer should also be able to tune the carb for you.

Last edited:
Any suggestions? I bought it new this Spring and only have run about 5-6 tanks of gas thru it. It is easy to start when warm, but the first start of the day is a bear. I'm following the starting procedure in the manual, but it takes 25 or more pulls to get it going. Once it's been run, usually one or 2 pulls and it's running again. If it sits for half a day it's harder to start, but not as bad as if it's sat for a week. It doesn't matter if it's 30° out or 80° out.

I don't use it every day, and it'll sit a while between uses.

25 or more pulls to get it going is way to many pulls! Is that 25 pulls with full choke? The majority of my saws pop on 2-3 pulls with choke and are running with one or two more. Is your choke closing all the way? How does the saw come off of idle? If it's slow coming off of idle your L screw needs to be opened up.

Do you have dealer support?

Last edited:
Sounds like you're missing the first pop, it doesn't always push out the decomp. The carb still may need some adjusting, if you don't know how to adjust the carp I suggest taking the saw to your dealer and have them look at. If you don't have a Dolmar dealer close buy a Stihl or Husky dealer should also be able to tune the carb for you.

ok Nancy, like you know how to tune a saw.......:biggrinbounce2:

Those saws do NOT like to be flooded. No pop in five pulls means something is wrong. A mistake I make sometimes is to have the switch in the "Stop" position accidentally, as the Dolmar setup is exactly opposite the Husky setup. You can pull and pull and the thing won't start with the switch set to "stop".

I've gotten into the habit, then, with both Huskys and Dolmars, of switching back to "run" as soon as the engine stops, to prevent flooding either. I suppose you could flip the switch around one way or the other to accommodate a specific brand, but if you run both, you might as well just get used to leaving the switch set to "run" after shutting the machine down.

Check all the above first. I had a saw (not a 7900) that was like that one time. I new plug and it never was like that again.

Thanks guys. Sorry for not posting last night, I ran outta time.

It seems the choke isn't closing all the way. I didn't try it again last night, but I will swing by the dealer on the way home today and pick up a new plug or two anyway. It wouldn't hurt to have an extra here at the house. When I picked up the saw he showed me how to start it, but he had it running before I picked it up and it was warm.

Thanks again!

I was thinking just the opposite. Maybe turn the low out 1/4 turn or so.

I also agree on that, on a general basis, with no experience with the model. ;)

Also, counting on the decomp valve to tell of you have a "pop" always is wrong - the slightest sign that the saw wants to start should be counted as one. It is just that it sounds like that is not the problem here!

Sounds like you're missing the first pop, it doesn't always push out the decomp. The carb still may need some adjusting, if you don't know how to adjust the carp I suggest taking the saw to your dealer and have them look at. If you don't have a Dolmar dealer close by a Stihl or Husky dealer should also be able to tune the carb for you.

Yes, basically!

Last edited:
If you start out balls to the wall without proper lubrication and preparation, irritation and chaffing will result.

You need to take your time, caress it a bit, talk to it, make sure it's got plenty of oil in both tanks, not just one, and then slowly ease the cord out to the resistance of compression. Once there, slowly let the cord back in, and then make a few quick yanks with short strokes. Also, you'll want to choke it until it's just ready to blow the compression release. She'll most often kick right off and then look out! :chainsawguy:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back