7900 or 385xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if jumping from a 70cc saw to an 80cc saw is going to be enough for you. I think I would skip up to 90cc for what you're after.

That would be my biggest concern too. I dont see a huge difference between the 7900 and any other 70cc saw I use/have used.

I would keep my eye open for a well taken-care of 066/660, or another 90+cc option.

A 7900 is a very big step up from a 440/372. It does weigh more, but in stock form I will tote the extra weight (.5lb) for the extra power (1 hp). Now, a ported 372 is a different story. I have a Snellerized 372 that is probably just as strong as a 7900 (I haven't run them side by side).

reading this thread depending on who's comment it was... He said he needed a good 24in saw for most of the work and the 30-32in for the occasional big stuff.

Would seem to me in that case you'd want to get rid of both the 90cc and the 70cc and hit the middle at 79cc-84cc. Great 24in cutter and can still pull a 32 if you need it to... But then again these comments might have been directed toward the OP who posted 5+ years ago... :msp_unsure:

According to my brother, the 385 has mush better Cylinder porting than the 7900, and even the stock 385 porting is better than it is possible to make the 7900 BB kits - not enough materiel to work with on those.
What keeps the performance of the 385 down is the small carb venturi and the small and choked up muffler. I understand the 390 isn't as nicely ported as the 385, and can gain more from port work - but the other restrictions will still be there.....

You can not compare the two cylinders, the designs are conceptually different. Ported correctly a 7900 can outrun a 385/390, you just have to know what you're doing, that's the hard part I'm still looking for lol.

Maybe with a snorkel it could... :) I know I'm adding a comment to a 5+year old post... :msp_tongue:

Devils Advocate chiming in...

What BB kits are you guys looking at? Really cheap Chinese units? I just got a nikasil plated kit from Northwoodsaw and have been very impressed with the quality of the kit. The piston was a good cast. I cleaned it up with a dremel a little and thats all. It comes with a skirt coating for breakin... Cylinder casting was very close to some OEM cylinders I have seen and the power it produces was pretty substantial. I haven't run it neck and neck with a 7900... yet... But can't see the 7900 running much harder.

Also I know this thread is really old but nobody mentioned the HD air filter kits now available. I've been in a few huskies and the HD filter for these 7900's is as good as I've seen!

I've used the top ends from Northwood and they are no different than any of the other offerings out there. Inferior to OEM in every way, but they seem to work well enough. I have one in service with a local tree company, it's been about a month now, so far so good.

Sometimes it's kinda fun when someone digs up an old thread and see all of those who have drifted away, not to mention to see a whole group of people with only a few novas and chiclets. :hmm3grin2orange:

Power and torque issues aside. Is there an oiler issue with the 7900 on the longer bars?
Mabye they have different oilers, but I know my Dolkita 6401 is a little stingy with oil even with it turned to the high setting.
I only run a 20" bar on it so it's more that adequate for that size.
I sure like the performance of this 7900 Brad did with a pop-up. By the smile on his face he was having fun too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3QSkPgavs

Last edited:
From what I know the 7900 puts out just enough oil for a 32" bar... it's definitely not a HO oiler, average at best.

I run 28" max on mine.

From what I know the 7900 puts out just enough oil for a 32" bar... it's definitely not a HO oiler, average at best.

I run 28" max on mine.

Try running a stock non wrap 660, the oiler is a joke!! I'd say a 660 puts out about 75% the oil volume of what a 7900 does. I had a 660 for a few days, sold it a few weeks later. Honestly most modern saws don't put out enough oil, I blame Obama.

Try running a stock non wrap 660, the oiler is a joke!! I'd say a 660 puts out about 75% the oil volume of what a 7900 does. I had a 660 for a few days, sold it a few weeks later. Honestly most modern saws don't put out enough oil, I blame Obama.

At least there are parts to make the 660 oiler put out what it should. IMHO, if a 7900 can oil a 32" bar, that's a plenty. If you need more bar, you need a bigger saw.

A 7900 is a very big step up from a 440/372. It does weigh more, but in stock form I will tote the extra weight (.5lb) for the extra power (1 hp). Now, a ported 372 is a different story. I have a Snellerized 372 that is probably just as strong as a 7900 (I haven't run them side by side).

Murph, have you gotten around to putting a 460 P/C on a 044 yet?

You can not compare the two cylinders, the designs are conceptually different. Ported correctly a 7900 can outrun a 385/390, you just have to know what you're doing, that's the hard part I'm still looking for lol.

Stock and strong 7900..
[video=youtube;rTPFI5YJo_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPFI5YJo_k&list=UUfB03KVhJRBISPufMa8F7GA&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

At least there are parts to make the 660 oiler put out what it should. IMHO, if a 7900 can oil a 32" bar, that's a plenty. If you need more bar, you need a bigger saw.

The HO oiler for the 660 helps quite a bit, and it's an easy cheap upgrade. I haven't had any issues running a 32" bar on my 7900, but as always more oil would be welcome.

Stumpy's port job on a 6401 /with OEM 7900 jug and slug...
BAM!!!
That thing rocks...:rock:

[video=youtube;elEPYY_Axlk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elEPYY_Axlk&list=UUfB03KVhJRBISPufMa8F7GA&index=10&feature=plcp[/video]

In a Hedge log too...:rock:

open

After running both saws I am more impressed with the Dolmar 7900. I run a 32" bar and it is kinda weak with the oil when cutting on the big wood. I would like to get the 385 ported though since I am using this saw for running a 36" bar. I have dual ported the muffler and opened up the exhaust port on the cylinder but need to find out what else I can do the get some more power out of it.

Latest posts

Back