7900 vs 385 vs 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did a search and found, not the answer to my question, but that oil mix is more important than the 460/7900/385 choice.....Right

I have a 372 and a 7900. As much as I like my 372 the 7900 has it all over the 372. Faster, more powerful, smoother. The saw is so smooth it makes it less fatiguing to use it. No problems with oiler.

MOE said:
I have been banging my head against a wall in frustration trying to find a list of dolmar dealers. I am interested in getting a 7900 but the dolmar website is totally usesless. who is the closest dolmar dealer to minnesota? Is there a list with ph numbers? thanks
moe, give me a call. Brian

Well just found out the lower bearing weakness issue in the 385. I upgraded the top end to a 390 p&c, opened up the exhaust port and matched the muffler port, thinned the carb screws and dual ported the muffler. Well this saw was a beaut to run for the time it had. Roughly less than 5 hrs. During a limbing session the saw started making funny noises and then boom. The cylinder broke n half and after tearing the saw down looked at the connecting rod lower bearings and they were shredded to pieces. So basically destroyed the top and bottom end in one fell swoop. I was running 50/1 at the time. So I may be moving back to the Stihl 660 for my bigger falling saw. I have a Dolmar 7900 that runs tops for most cutting jobs under 5 foot in diameter but pulling a 36" bar seems a bit much for this saw so hence the need for a bit bigger saw with a stronger oiler as well. Cheers.

Oh forgot to add this was a early 2000's husky too. Got a pallet full of em from Guam as surplus property and to date most of them have all all failed in the bottom end so mine was really no surprise I just thought it was operator error and the type of cutting these saws were being used for which was mainly fireline cutting. I was using mine for mainly falling hazard trees.

The stihl in this comparison should be an 064 not an 046. Fits in the CC and weight range better. And more grunt than a 385 (6.4HP vs 6.3) and less weight (14.8lbs vs 15.5)

Early 385s had a known bearing issue. They're also a saw that is known to benefit from more oil, i.e. 32:1. The builders on this site have built quite a lot of hot 390s and they are one of the strongest saws out there. Mine pulls a 36" bar with ease.

Early 385s had a known bearing issue. They're also a saw that is known to benefit from more oil, i.e. 32:1. The builders on this site have built quite a lot of hot 390s and they are one of the strongest saws out there. Mine pulls a 36" bar with ease.

Yep. I've heard of the odd issue with later model 385's and 390's but it's the older models that seem to have had the bearing issues. It's interesting how the odd problems with saw models pop up then quickly disappear as the manufacturers start fixing the faults.

Latest posts

Back