797 Mac, is it worth this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Lee, the project just keeps getting better and better.

I am really humbled when I hear the way that saw responds to the throttle, that is one impressive power plant.

I noticed a couple of time that advancing the throttle moved the kill switch as you mentioned, seems you will need to do a little more work under the handle to let everything operate as expected. I have noticed on a few of my saws that the throttle or oiler would interact with the kill switch wire.

On my 740 by design, putting the throttle full open also works the manual oiler, does the 797 react the same way?

Thanks for the heads up on the decals, I will look into that for a couple of projects that are in need of I.D.

And I agree with Mitchell, you need to share some of the bounty of the 797's with some less fortunate souls...

Mark

Thanks for all the kind words Guys.
It's a lot of work and patience but
the end result is worth every bit of it.

If i have time today i will do a video
with it in the wood.

Lee

Mark, You are correct, the throttle was hitting the
switch wire and moving it forward to the off position.
All fixed. I went to put on the bar and a new chain i
spun up but somehow 404 chain don't work on a 1/2 sprocket. "Stupid Me" But i have a new 404 sprocket
to put on tonight.

Mitchell, No law that i know of.
But there out there. I turn over every stone
and follow every lead i can when it comes to
big saws.

Nope don't paint cars anymore. I had someone paint
my 69 Mustang.

Lee

Lee- another great rebuild on a classic muscle saw. I really like that high gloss black on top, it looks real sharp. The video sounds good, that classic big McCulloch sound. Those saws slew a lot of forests in their day.

Great job Lee! I have a 1-72 that looks like it shares a lot of parts with the 797. Any idea what the difference is between them? Also is there a way to set the choke button so that it stays on choke without having to keep your thumb on it? You have to keep your thumb on mine to keep it choked so I can't start it the way you do standing up unless it's warm.

They designed the choke like that with the mind that guys werent going to get all hunched over sticking there feet through the rear handles to start 123cc saw with a 4 foot bar. .

best way is to rest the bar on some wood, throttle & choke with left hand and give her all you got with the right, my super 797 usually takes 1 or 2 pulls to get going.

Neat thing about the push button choke is that after you get her going, warming her up is just a matter of thumbing the choke as needed for a minute or so...

Great job Lee! I have a 1-72 that looks like it shares a lot of parts with the 797. Any idea what the difference is between them? Also is there a way to set the choke button so that it stays on choke without having to keep your thumb on it? You have to keep your thumb on mine to keep it choked so I can't start it the way you do standing up unless it's warm.

Chassis is substantially the same. 797 is 123cc fixed head. 1-72 is 87cc MC-10 clone kart engine. How much you want for it? PM me...:)

here it is guys, All done.
This 797 runs absolutely flawless.
I'm very pleased with the way this saw came out.
Has a 36 inch roller nose with 404 full chisel non
skip chain. So it is biting into some wood.
Enjoy the video.

Lee

Looks like a real good looking saw now. Sounds like it runs good too.

Back