8:15 and 19 below

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Its going to be a cold one tonight. Load her up, and turn up the blaze king, lets see what she has got. I am a little concerned that the furnace will not run:cheers: at all and the crawl space may get below freezing..... hum... might have to give in and let the gas run a little. There doesnt seem to be any problem keeping the house warm, but ........ I wish that I would have put one of those wireless temp transmitters in the crawlspace. Oh well.

Hope it all works out for you! I am not ready for those kind of temps!

We hit -18 one night last year (coldest I've ever felt) and the house was mighty cold that night even with stove going full blast all night. Just couldn't overcome the cold. I can't imagine winters here that cold for any period of time. BTW its going up to 49 tomorrow day before settling down to 22 at night with 60mph winds

49 above or below???LOL I just checked, 9:30 and -22 and falling. I love my BKK!! More cottonwood on the fire!! I might nave to get into the Russian olive to maintian 8-900 on the stove. I went out and fed the cat and loaded the shop BKK and shoved a bit of snow, brrrr chilly. I have been using up a bunch of white puplar the is stone hard, in the shop, have to say, it is a lot better than I thought it wood be. The shop is maintaining 68, I just pulled in a crewcab that had been sitting out all day. It takes a bunch of heat to thaw out a frozen truck, about an armload of heat!!HEHEHE

A coupe of nights last Winter (or the one before last) it went to -14° F here . The first night , we never would have realised it. I loaded the stove thinking I read +14° for expected low and went to bed. Woke up early to feed it before breakfast and had fewer coals than expected but the house was still 70-72.

I have an idea that the greater the temp differential between outside and inside creates a better draft and therefore causes me to feed the stove more often. Not because it is colder outside but because more air is moving through the house via the wood stove.

Its going to be a cold one tonight. Load her up, and turn up the blaze king, lets see what she has got. I am a little concerned that the furnace will not run:cheers: at all and the crawl space may get below freezing..... hum... might have to give in and let the gas run a little. There doesnt seem to be any problem keeping the house warm, but ........ I wish that I would have put one of those wireless temp transmitters in the crawlspace. Oh well.

Hope it all worked out for you. That's some serious temps. I was thinking about putting a wireless on my OWB and wireless indoor/outdoor in the crawlspace but kept putting it off. Lesson well learned.

Hi guys, last winter we reached -31 for a couple nights in January - early February, but you know those are actually very cool days as the white exhaust plumb from the chimney goes up forever and as you look into town you see the same with everybody's houses except they are burning gas! It was so cold here one day last year I took a boiling cup of water outside and threw it into the air, it evaporated and turned to steam before any of it hit the ground!! Thats COLD!!

Nice and warm in the shop and house, still is -15 at 1100 am, not going to get much warmer unless the wind blows. Both BKKs' just doing what they do best!!

Wouldn't one of those cheap wireless outdoor temp readers work. Just put the sensor in the craw space. I saw one at the local drug store for $12.

D__n cold.

We will reach -16 F tonight with a wind chill of -25 F. This is as cold as I can remember for early-December in Nebraska. Weather like this is usually reserved for mid-January.

Just got through snow throwing and shoveling 14" of snow. It's drifting all over the place. I had to shovel in two sessions to avoid frostbite, even with two layers of gloves. My fingers just can't take the cold like they use to.

The high for the day is 4 F. That's it. Steady drop from here on out. With a "massive" warming trend expected for Thursday afternoon. It might make it to 10 F before it drops to -10 F again.

Brrrrr I went out to the shop for the night load, the Lacross wireless thermometer says. OFL I guess that means over the freaking limit, that occurs at -22 on that unit. Blaze king has it 73 in the shop. On cottonwood, I had to throw that in.

We will reach -16 F tonight with a wind chill of -25 F. This is as cold as I can remember for early-December in Nebraska. Weather like this is usually reserved for mid-January.

Just got through snow throwing and shoveling 14" of snow. It's drifting all over the place. I had to shovel in two sessions to avoid frostbite, even with two layers of gloves. My fingers just can't take the cold like they use to.

The high for the day is 4 F. That's it. Steady drop from here on out. With a "massive" warming trend expected for Thursday afternoon. It might make it to 10 F before it drops to -10 F again.

Try some mittens - really. Each finger will keep the others warm. I used to ride a motorcycle while stationed in Washington State. Somebody tipped me off about those mittens and it made a world of difference keeping those fingers warm.

Nosmo

Try some mittens - really. Each finger will keep the others warm. I used to ride a motorcycle while stationed in Washington State. Somebody tipped me off about those mittens and it made a world of difference keeping those fingers warm.

Nosmo
I did that, Nosmo, and yes, they do work better than gloves. I actually layered them twice with thin gloves on the inside and ski mittens on the outside. However, the thumbs still get whacked a little. What I need is 5 to 10 F above zero and no wind chill. That usuallly does it.

The real trouble is that my big 2-stage snow thrower requires you to squeeze the handles to keep the power drive and auger moving. That small amount of pressure coupled with cold handles wrecks the circulatrion, and then the frost bite sets in like gangbusters.

Mittens and Thumbs

I'm glad those mittens are helping you. I can remember what cold weather is like when I was crossing the mountains in Washington on a motorcycle in the winter of 1961. We don't have cold weather down here in Oklahoma like those and not nearly the snow either.

I think its normal for the mountains just east of Seattle to get about 200 inches.

You are right about those thumbs taking the worst of it when wearing mittens.
I had to stop every few miles and warm those thumbs with a cigarette lighter.

Stay warm - it is supposed to get up in the 40's today here.

Nosmo

Back