8 tooth sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314epw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone running an 8 tooth sprocket on a 372xp?I'm thinking of doing it with a 20" bar.What's everyone's thoughts?
ed

Why not try it? Sprockets are cheap and aren't the end of the world to change, so give it a shot. My guess would be that you'll find the reduction of torque not worth it, but it's hard to know for sure without trying.

i tried an 8 tooth on a new 575xp but found it did bog down a little in speed with the full 20" cut however as i said its only had 5 or 6 tanks of mix through it so far

I think my idea of a sharp chain is worlds apart from many folks on, no dissrespect, but If your saw has the power and you keep your chain sharp I think many of you will find that an 8 tooth spocket is the hot tip.
I don't think too many of you are buried in the wood all day - meaning that when you are dawged in thats where you need your torque.
For much of the stuff that gets cut around here, chain speed will be nice. You know, sawing the smaller stuff, where the wood clears the bar - thats where I would want chain speed, i.e... 8 tooth.
For example, I use both. When I am on the stump and bucking big logs all day I will use a 7, the torque when dawged in with a long bar makes things easier.
But, if I am in limby wood, and 7 doesn't do it for me, rappin' up the RPMs and knockin' of limbs with an 8 tooth does.
I am not saying I change sprockets every day or strip, I don't - but I do know when it is time for a switcher-roo.

Back