80 YO Woman in Holliston MA gets crushed yesterday felling an Oak with an axe!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She apparently pulled the tree with a rope and didn't get out of the way when it fell. Ten inch tree was cut with chain saw not ax. lady is OK

She apparently pulled the tree with a rope and didn't get out of the way when it fell. Ten inch tree was cut with chain saw not ax. lady is OK

There was an axe laying right next to the tree when the news got a hold of it.

View attachment 290570News person probably saw the ax near by and put it on the stump to make a better story. The photos clearly show it was chainsawed. Ax likely was used to pound wedges.

Last edited:
Where's the chips? All I see is sawdust and possibly what could be the wood from the wedge cut. Betcha she hired some crack head with a wild thing and he didn't want to stick around for the police.

Yeah-- the picture I saw was a different stump. The tree in the above referenced site certainly was sawed. Chainsaw, axe, hand saw--- still a GUTSY LADY!

Must've had a bit of back lean.. Bunch of wedges in the video and the tree is laying the exact wrong way.. Good chance she made a Dutch cut and it flipped back on top of her when she was pounding the wedge..

Tree went the way it was notched

wedges were driven into the back cut. She was pinned by the top of the tree. Most likely she slipped while pulling the tree over with the rope and was laying on the ground when it fell on her.

From the staining from the wedges they were in the tree long enough for the saw to have been put away before the pulling started.

I'm convinced she was working alone, as I do often with no one in hollering distance. I'll try to do it less after seeing this!

Last edited:
wedges were driven into the back cut. She was pinned by the top of the tree. Most likely she slipped while pulling the tree over with the rope and was laying on the ground when it fell on her.

Yeah I guess your right. The location of the back cut below the notch threw me off.

Latest posts

Back