$800 seems to be the magic number

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am envious of what ya'all get in other areas they won't usually pay it here but I try to keep the bids up to profit some without ripping anyone off 4500.00 is unheard of here. I can see with a crane where it is fair though and have had to take less as our market is flooded. Most large trees here with little difficulty go at that 800.00 mark and include the stump and clean up.I have learned to bid my price and don't get as much work but profit when I do and work on the equipment when down, has worked so far but not getting ahead much!

Yeah well don't be. Envious that is. It works out to be the same. Its the east coast rat race. Lots of rats around nibbling up your cashflow.

Yeah well don't be. Envious that is. It works out to be the same. Its the east coast rat race. Lots of rats around nibbling up your cashflow.

Things are looking up for us TMD I actually agree with your last 2 posts here:cheers:

Believe me when I say they are here also tax,ins,license etc. but I have been there and do understand, friggin tolls alone eat me up:hmm3grin2orange:

Like I said previously its not common to get the job as the high bidder but in reality out of that $4,500 I maybe cleared 3,000.00 so that is about $1,500.00 a day for technical take downs bolth with the crane and without not to mention the wear and tear on the equipment and employees to pull off a job like that in two days that would have taken alot of other companys 3-4 days to do with less resources. Not having the available resources makes a big difference. 2/3rds of the bigger technical trees we do are because others in the area would not even give a bid because it was out of there expertise or available resources to get the job done effiecently. I figure in N.Y. $1,600-$2,000 a day is making enough to get ahead barely. Between the taxes and long winters N.Y is not the easiest place to make a buck in our profession. DIVERSITY

I did not mean to make you think I thought you were a rip off, I
fully understand the value of risky work done at a professional
level. It is really worth more than that but market keeps it down.
I feel our work should pay similar to lawyers,doctors etc. it is
a profession we suffer from lowballers see doctors and lawyers
don't really have those issues, I wish they did. Call up the doc
and have them come out and give estimates etc.

Last edited:
I did not mean to make you think I thought you were a rip off, I
fully understand the value of risky work done at a professional
level. It is really worth more than that but market keeps it down.
I feel our work should pay similar to lawyers,doctors etc. it is
a profession we suffer from lowballers see doctors and lawyers
don't really have those issues I wish they did. Call up the doc
and have them come out and give estimates etc.

Lol! good analogy.

Last year this time I was booming. Ive had 2 small jobs in 3 weeks now. I carry insurance and try to do everything right. I go low trying to get some work back from the local jacklegs. Its getting tough. I think I may have to get a second job and work trees on the weekend when I get them. This industry has become very overcrowded here and there isnt enough work for everyone. I still get most of my work from referels so that will probably continue,

No, actuall rats! This is the east coast! They will eat anything.

Speaking of that we have had a bad case of deer mice getting
in our shack. I found out they carry some dern funky disease.
I got a bunch of those sticky traps and think I have them in
control, man those are the traps, I love them cause I get to
kill the varmint!

Latest posts

Back