87 Chevy 2500 4x4

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking at one, but the seller doesnt really have a price set, and I dont know what its really worth. I dont want to screw them over on a nice truck, considering its all original. all it needs is a radiator,a front spindle and bearing, and some touch up work on the paint here and there. I know the original owner of this truck.

Now for the specs on it,
its got a factory 3" lift on it,
heavy duty suspension for one of those slide in campers,
gas V8 engine.
regular cab,
automatic tranny, with 4.10s on the differentials. and it has a snorkel on it too.

My thinking was around $4500 or so for it. its all solid as a rock too, no rust on it anywhere.

Does it have TBI? That started in '87.

I have never heard of any factory lift, 3" or otherwise.

4500 sounds like a decent price. How many miles, and what V8?

I know its a fuel injected V8,and I think I saw it was an 8.1L. but I could be wrong, and probably am. I'm, goin up there on Monday so, I'll see.

I have a '80 k2500, last year of the 205 t-case in the 2500, last year all 2500 trucks came with the big full floating rearend. '87 was the last year G.M. made a good truck in my opinion. They are good trucks after '80, despite the 208 case, get it checked out by a good mechanic, if it checks out, get it.

I'm sure it will, its a one owner truck, I know the guy that drove it home, and how its been used for the past 19 years. theres even an awesome looking second hood for it. it'lll probably check out really well, besides what I know is wrong with it already.

oldsaw-addict said:
I know its a fuel injected V8,and I think I saw it was an 8.1L. but I could be wrong, and probably am. I'm, goin up there on Monday so, I'll see.

Check it for sure, with the price of gas where it is the last thing in the world I would want is an 8 liter engine.

Well, I dont plan on driving it every day, just when I need to tow stuff, like 3 days a week. you just cant tow with a 4 cylinder when the trailer is as heavy as some of the stuff I need to move. nor can you move a non running truck thats older than dirt with a 4 cylinder.

The 208 isnt all bad, and it has saved my arse a coupla times when I would have been stuck with the 205.

I like a 203/205 for real use. Need to get a pair for my truck (replacing the 208 whenever I get around to workin on that truck).

If it is a big block, it will be a 7.4 l (454) unless someone changed the motor. And if it is a big block, it should also have a full floating rearend.

Tranny, if it is an overdrive, will be a 4l80 - otherwise it should be a 400.

They are good trucks, and they run great. If the motor craps out, put the newer Vortec 7.4 motor in it - I believe Edelbrock makes an intake so you can put the stock fuel injection on top - at least I know they do that on the

I think its a bigblock, which wouldnt surprise me any. I'm goin up on monday to check it out, so we'll see. I'll write down what I find under the hood.

Lumberjack said:
I like a 203/205 for real use. Need to get a pair for my truck (replacing the 208 whenever I get around to workin on that truck).

NP203....chain driven front end. Used in Full-time 4x4 applications.

NP205....all gear. Used in part time 4x4 applications.

Last edited:
is this snorkel your talking about on the air filter? if thats the case i would check the front and rearend for water in them...sounds like the ol' boy been mud boggin' it!..BEWARE

sorry I dont have any pics, I lost the camera, my truck has a dead battery, and I have a whole ton of things that I didnt know were gonna happen which has kept me busy.

rahtreelimbs said:
NP203....chain driven front end. Used in Full-time 4x4 applications.

NP-205....all gear. Used in part time 4x4 applications.

I was refering to a 203/205 doubler kit to allow a double low low range, nearly 4:1, all iron and gear driven.

The 205 is a tougher case, IMHO.

Got one in the F350.

Not to mention... them part time cases hook up better. ;)

Well guys, I'm gonna go for it, its a good truck and not very often you find one thats still in the original owners possesion.

Latest posts

Back