88 clutch grrrrrrr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My thumb is black and pounding, broke a tool or two and the clutch on my 88 is no closer to moving than a frenchman living in a brothel after getting a cut in his rent.
I have a proper piston lock in place, but am wondering how far i will have to go to get this thing off. Im using a 13/16 socket (fits snug) and been wrestling with it for to long.

Any of your saw gurus got any ideas? I have put crc penetrate on it, which is soaking in faster than my patience is lasting!

most clutches are left hand threads(all that ive worked on), i typically use a nylon rope with the end burned as a piston stop..88?? as in 088?

Assuming we're talking 088...

Mount the saw vertically in a big vice - grab it by the inboard dog. Then with the piston stopped with a rope, use a big breaker bar. Just nice strong constant pressure and it will move.

At these torques, don't use a screw-in piston stop if you value your piston.

Last edited:
with a good piston stop I take mine off with an impact gun and yes it is left hand thread and yes I letter rip. You will need the shock to break it loose sometimes just pulling torq with a wrench aint enough. oh yeah edit: I use rope for my stop always rope. I gave my stops away

CMM

Last edited:
I might add that I don't do this on saws with smaller cranks but have never hurt my or anyone elses using impact when needed.

We have a nifty tool at work -a three fingered device that slides in between the clutch shoes - has a 1/2 drive welded on. Much easier on stubborn clutches and particuarly when the spyder shoulders have been rounded by prior attempts to remove the clutch. Never had one I couldn't get off.

Last edited:
Wahhoooooo! Thanks so much! I didnt think of putting the bucking spikes in the vice, I have been trying more positions than the kama sutra trying to get leverage. Finally got the bugger off (tirfir handle on strongarm).
The whole reason for this was that the little wire prong circlip thing that ran the oilpump has snapped. but in such a way I cant tell which way its supposed to go on (the old one just looks like a circlip). So looking at it with the prongs poining upwards, should the long arm be on the rhs or lhs?

Finally progress!

if i am interpretting your post correctly i believe the prong should be on the left side when attached to the saw with the point pointing upwards(so that the hook on the end is cupped down.

Last edited:
It points to the "right" or leads clockwise...

yes, wrestling a saw on a greasy bench is just a way to hurt yourself.

if i am interpretting your post correctly i believe the prong should be on the left side when attached to the saw with the point pointing upwards(so that the hook on the end is cupped down.

Lake have it got this wrong or am i backazzwards? i can't remember off the top of my head, been a week or two since i had one apart

It points to the "right" or leads clockwise...

yes, wrestling a saw on a greasy bench is just a way to hurt yourself.

Yeah, and the wife was getting jealous. It wasnt so much all the positions, it was that I could go for more than 30 seconds without falling asleep.

Awesome, thank mate! Next big ass pine I drop, I will dedicate to you.

Lake have it got this wrong or am i backazzwards? i can't remember off the top of my head, been a week or two since i had one apart

I couldn't figure out yours, so here a picture for both of us:

IPL
attachment.php

Service manual
attachment.php

Last edited:
Back